Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

good store bought wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good store bought wax

im looking for a good store bought wax. any suggestions would be very helpful. and does anyone know if meguires swirl remover 2.0 is good stuff? im using some nxt 2.0 wax right now. curious if there is anything better
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

store bought i probably would have to go with Meguiars also. i plan on detailing my car and looking at the swirl X and the NXT wax as well .
Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
store bought i probably would have to go with Meguiars also. i plan on detailing my car and looking at the swirl X and the NXT wax as well .

well i heard swirl remover 2.0 was better than the swirl x but i dont even know which buffer to get to try it out
Old 08-29-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you use the swirlx or even the scratch x, i would def use a pure polish after before applying the nxt. i would then top the nxt with megs gold class carnuba and leave it at that
Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

For the past couple of months I've been using meguires spray wax after every wash.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Teching In

what would be a good buffer to use? im looking for cheap. i was looking at the one at like pepboys and checkers but i thought i would here your guys' input before i did anything
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mothers! Big fan!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by b4camaro
what would be a good buffer to use? im looking for cheap. i was looking at the one at like pepboys and checkers but i thought i would here your guys' input before i did anything
Don't get a buffer, if you aren't ready to spend the right amount of money. Cheap and detailing don't go well together.

If you want to keep to store bought stuff, keep to Meguiars and don't dream of anything better. If you do, you will have to venture out of the store and spend a lot more money.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
well i heard swirl remover 2.0 was better than the swirl x but i dont even know which buffer to get to try it out
to be honest i have tried both and didnt notice a difference between the two. even using a machine they never really got any swirls out, however they leave the deepest shine out of any other product i have used. my z28 loves swirl-x

i bought a harbor freight rotary buffer for 29.99 and started out by getting experience using old spoilers and body parts i had laying around the garage. im not going to say its easier than it looks however you would have to be wrong in the head to burn the paint because that rotary is so cheap the motor really cant handle much load.

that being said to get any sort of deep results out of your finish your going to need a professional tool. a rotary is a pain in the *** they spray everywhere especially if the compound starts to dry, save some time and effort and invest now in a porter cable.

fyi i got out nearly every imperfection in my z28 using a rotary and turle wax polishing compound. it takes patience and practice and in the end i should have just saved my own time and energy and bought a porter cable

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-30-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swirl remover 2.0 is a lighter compound than the swirl x. Not by much, so you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Don't get a buffer, if you aren't ready to spend the right amount of money. Cheap and detailing don't go well together.

If you want to keep to store bought stuff, keep to Meguiars and don't dream of anything better. If you do, you will have to venture out of the store and spend a lot more money.
Couldn't agree with you more. A clay bar and some wax from the local parts store is good one day, the next day you've got a DA, 6 or 7 different pads, and you're buying $30 bottles of Menzerna... Ask me how I know lol.

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
i bought a harbor freight rotary buffer for 29.99 and started out by getting experience using old spoilers and body parts i had laying around the garage. im not going to say its easier than it looks however you would have to be wrong in the head to burn the paint because that rotary is so cheap the motor really cant handle much load.

that being said to get any sort of deep results out of your finish your going to need a professional tool. a rotary is a pain in the *** they spray everywhere especially if the compound starts to dry, save some time and effort and invest now in a porter cable.

fyi i got out nearly every imperfection in my z28 using a rotary and turle wax polishing compound. it takes patience and practice and in the end i should have just saved my own time and energy and bought a porter cable
If you know what you're doing with a rotary, you can make short work of deeper swirl marks and light scratches... if it's a decent rotary. I've never heard of a true rotary bogging down, since they're usually at least 7 amp motors.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

NXT is a good wax.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Teching In

gofast908z can you give me some advice on what to use. the only reason i said cheap was because i havent found a job yet cause i just moved out of state and just wanted my car to look good and now i have found a job so im just about ready to start putting some good money into detailing and ive seen a lot of your work and man you are good lol
Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo98z

If you know what you're doing with a rotary, you can make short work of deeper swirl marks and light scratches... if it's a decent rotary. I've never heard of a true rotary bogging down, since they're usually at least 7 amp motors.
i never said it was a decent one, lol its harbor freight. and yes rotarys are effective however they are also a pain in the butt
Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
to be honest i have tried both and didnt notice a difference between the two. even using a machine they never really got any swirls out, however they leave the deepest shine out of any other product i have used. my z28 loves swirl-x

Thanks Chrysler Kid!! Yeah, its painful seeing the swirls on our NBM cars man...

Also i hear the Porter Cable wont burn through your paint so its alot safer to use than a cheap orbital buffer? is that true?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

holy **** there is a lot of misinformation here.

rotaries can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. you can easily rub through too much clear coat and expose your sensitive base coat underneath. i would definitely stay away from that.

a porter cable on the other hand is pretty hard to screw up for a newbie, just because it applies the same amount of pressure no matter how unsteady your hand is. so if you push down on the PC hard, it will slow the speed so the friction is less and thus won't eat into that area of clear coat more the other areas.

swirl x/swirl 2.0 are both fine, but don't even think about using it with your hand, because it will only make marring worse. you need the PC.

nxt 2.0 is great, but doesn't last long. if you are going to buy a PC online though, you may as well buy better polish online--blackfire wet diamond LSP is one of the most well recommended as of late.

lastly, if you're spending $30 on any type of machine buffer, it's crap. the PC is about the cheapest option that actually works, and it's over $100. everything else is just bad quality or won't spin nearly fast enough to generate the friction required for reducing swirls. also make sure you buy the right pads or else you'll just make your job of removing swirls even harder.

www.autopia.org
www.autogeek.net
www.lakecountrypads.com
Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Teching In

can i get a good list of pads and what they are used for and some product i should use. anybody please
Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

can i get a good list of pads and what they are used for and some product i should use. anybody please
read. my. post.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

gofast908z can you give me some advice on what to use. the only reason i said cheap was because i havent found a job yet cause i just moved out of state and just wanted my car to look good and now i have found a job so im just about ready to start putting some good money into detailing and ive seen a lot of your work and man you are good lol
Just start with the store bought stuff. Get a PC when u can afford it. And I also agree Blackfire Wet Diamond is excellent stuff.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I was asking cause I'm running out of the store bought stuff. I plan on getting the pc soon with some pads and some detailing products. Just want to give my car the shine it deserves
Old 08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Then its time to venture out of the store. You can get the Blackfire Wet Diamond kit for about 50 bux from properautocare. Its the sealant, their detail spray, 2 MF cloths, and an applicator. Its really good stuff and great value for money. Also if you get it, APPLY IT THINLY!! You don't need to use much at all.

Quick Reply: good store bought wax