Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DIY Tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done.. FUBARED the passenger window because I was tired (laid down and squeegeed the whole thing instead of doing half) but drivers side came out pretty good. I'm trying to find the time to do the hatch now.
Before:

After:
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

How long does it take per window with the pre-cut ebay tint? And anybody know the quality of the ebay pre-cut tint over time?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
How long does it take per window with the pre-cut ebay tint? And anybody know the quality of the ebay pre-cut tint over time?
A friend of mine has had his on for almost two years and it still looks fine. I've had mine for over six months now and it's still looking good! A lot of people thought it would just come off after a few weeks, but it looks just as nice as the day I put it on.

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed you asked about the time per window. It took me around 25-30 minutes per side. I removed the door panels (you don't have to, but I wanted to for a cleaner install), cleaned and squeegeed the window, applied the tint, and reinstalled the door panel.

Last edited by TechCam97; 09-13-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had my ebay precut tint on for a little over a year and it still looks as good as day one. The doors took us about 15-20 minutes just for the tint. That's not including cleaning the window and tearing the door down. I also took the skins off for a easier / cleaner install.

Doing the rear hatch the way we did (removing and hanging it) is a day long project. It takes one person about 2 hours just to contour the one piece tint to the window. Again that's not including removing the hatch, cleaning the window, and masking & painting. We removed and painted the hatch late on the first day, then tinted the following day just to space it out and take our time with it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

What about the matrix part, do you paint it or tint over it? If i did the hatch myself I'd get the pre-cut for it, just looking for tips to make sure i don't screw anything up my first time. And i will also remove the hatch for tinting it as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about the matrix part, do you paint it or tint over it? If i did the hatch myself I'd get the pre-cut for it, just looking for tips to make sure i don't screw anything up my first time. And i will also remove the hatch for tinting it as well.
Paint the dot matrix (inside of course) AND tint over it.

Tips? Get a heat gun for stretching / shrinking the material. Get lots of lube (Johnson's baby shampoo and distilled water). Use the Johnson's soapy water in a spray bottle to clean the glass (both sides) with a no scratch scotch pad. Set aside a weekend. Be patient.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I posted on thread that had this link to here. I'm a professional window tinter and I'll give some tips on TAs. First off taking the hatch off seems like a waste of time. No need for it. Secondly, if your patient enough you don't even have to shrink the back glass on TAs but it does make it that much easier.

If you do decide to shrink it, start from the middle out and think of it like stretching the film. Better yet, I'll make a video on the next fbody I tint and post it up for everyone who wants to do it themselves.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

^looking forward to it.. as I have not even tried the back window
Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

I tried it once to experiment once when I had some tint peeling up and was going to get that side replaced. Just attempted it for ***** and giggles. I don't know if I got cheap bad film or what, but never again.

I consider myself a pretty patient guy too. After watching the pros do it, I was pretty disgusted with how easy they make it look. Tinting truly is an art and takes a good bit of skill and practice.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by STFU racing
I posted on thread that had this link to here. I'm a professional window tinter and I'll give some tips on TAs. First off taking the hatch off seems like a waste of time. No need for it. Secondly, if your patient enough you don't even have to shrink the back glass on TAs but it does make it that much easier.

If you do decide to shrink it, start from the middle out and think of it like stretching the film. Better yet, I'll make a video on the next fbody I tint and post it up for everyone who wants to do it themselves.
what happen to this video!! lol
Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ebay tints are great, i have done several cars with them with outstanding results, im also a prefectionist so i would surely say if they looked like garbage and went on like crap. I have only tinted a handfull of windows in my day and just took my time and they came out great
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else use the autozone flim tint??
Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
Anyone else use the autozone flim tint??
Autozone around here sells Gila window tint, which is VERY good quality. My dad use to own a tint/glass shop and thats all they used.

Quick Reply: DIY Tint