Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

spent the past two weeks doing appearance mods, lowered it for free!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just to dispel some rumors here, cutting a coil off your springs actually increases spring rate and firmness. If you had all the variables for the stock spring, you could actually calculate the increase in rate by using this calculator. The comments on the shocks are somewhat true, just upgrade to the nicer ones that are made for lowered cars and you'll be fine (but then that leads to the obvious question of; why not just purchase lowering springs if you're purchasing the shocks? ). If you want to ride around on cut springs, it's not going to end the world. When you have the money to do it right, do it. If not, then you'll just have to live with a little bit stiffer ride.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Just to dispel some rumors here, cutting a coil off your springs actually increases spring rate and firmness. If you had all the variables for the stock spring, you could actually calculate the increase in rate by using this calculator. The comments on the shocks are somewhat true, just upgrade to the nicer ones that are made for lowered cars and you'll be fine (but then that leads to the obvious question of; why not just purchase lowering springs if you're purchasing the shocks? ). If you want to ride around on cut springs, it's not going to end the world. When you have the money to do it right, do it. If not, then you'll just have to live with a little bit stiffer ride.
Well said. Cutting stock springs is not the best solution. However, that doesn't mean the wheels are going to fall off and the car is going to spontaneously burst into flames.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put on new turn signals, tinted and cleared, along with leds to eliminate the heat issues. Here's a pic showing them.

I was going for the "absence" look, make the upper cavity look like the lower.
Attached Thumbnails spent the past two weeks doing appearance mods, lowered it for free!!!-img_0050.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I wanted. To not be able to tell they are there. But that would require buying new ones, wetsanding and buffing for hours. Urs look good bc its silver. Mine have to look better than the car to look good. Which is hard to do.

Originally Posted by GSus
I just put on new turn signals, tinted and cleared, along with leds to eliminate the heat issues. Here's a pic showing them.

I was going for the "absence" look, make the upper cavity look like the lower.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad someone sees where in coming from.

Will they be the best springs in the world? No

But they ride and handle like stock and makes the car look amazing. So why the hell not?????

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Old 09-07-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly. notice I put this in the appearance section. NOT suspension. This was an appearance mod. And it works flawlessly.

Originally Posted by Black00Z
Well said. Cutting stock springs is not the best solution. However, that doesn't mean the wheels are going to fall off and the car is going to spontaneously burst into flames.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All signals work perfectly fine. Idk why u think the rears wouldn't work....???????

I have all 4 marker lights and I have headlights. Obviously. I don't have to sit and scrub bugs off my lenses annymore. I'm happy.

Originally Posted by ZROCWS6
Your not going to have functional signals at all even on the rear with out a front bulb in the circuit. On top of that you need front marker lights by law along with headlights at night. The whole front of my car catches bugs not just the signals. Not sure what gaining there.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bobsmyuncle
Exactly. notice I put this in the appearance section. NOT suspension. This was an appearance mod. And it works flawlessly.
Couldn't of said it better myself! I'm also planning on doing this mod soon cause I'm a full time student working for minum wage 20 hours a week. In the end haters are going to hate but you've gotta do what make you happy. Personally the car looks 100 times better so who gives a ratass!? If it's not your car then stop stressing out about it right? 1+ for this mod man!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Car has almost 900-1,000 miles on it, and guess what?? Rides like stock. "a few miles" hahaha.

Stock springs aernt linear.

they ARE comparable to lowering springs. They lowered the car. Cornering improved. And it rides smooth as stock. I couldn't ask for anything else.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
It wont for long... Those shocks are going to be done in a few miles... Expect extreme bouncing, jarring and jittery ride quality, and twitchy handling.

Wrong. The stock springs on these cars are linear. You increase spring rate when you cut springs because calculating spring rate has to to with the height of the spring as well. Problem is now you don't know the rates.
If you think this makes the car handle "way better" then you are missing out a lot, thats like saying an LS6 cam in a stock LS1 makes the LS1 WAY more powerful. If you want way better handling look into good shocks (being the most important thing here) good aftermarket lowing springs (which will have proper spring rates, and balanced front/rear) and matching swaybars.

The aftermarket springs are designed ground up to be that height and rate, the stock springs are not. You know the rate of the aftermarket springs and therefore can match them to a good shock.
If you like your cut springs then thats just fine for you, but don't think that the are comparable to proper lowering springs.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Every car I know w aftermarket springs rides rough. Period.

I haven't hit the bump stop a single time. I don't drive like an idiot. And the car doesn't see rough roads. I've never bottomed the car out or hit the nose.

I did it strictly for appearance.
Good aftermarket springs do not have a rough ride when matched to proper shocks. Your ride will become worse and worse the more you drive it.

Your bump stops may wear much faster seeing you will be hitting them much more often without enough rate for the drop you have. (not to mention the shitty stock shocks not helping any).

lol... Some people buy lowering springs for more than just looks...
Dont be pissed I can make my car sound cammed like yours by pulling some spark plugs
Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackTXmagic
Couldn't of said it better myself! I'm also planning on doing this mod soon cause I'm a full time student working for minum wage 20 hours a week. In the end haters are going to hate but you've gotta do what make you happy. Personally the car looks 100 times better so who gives a ratass!? If it's not your car then stop stressing out about it right? 1+ for this mod man!

exactly. free mods ftw
Old 09-07-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, car looks very nice! even with the stock wheels. as for the springs, it made your car nicely done! i remember once a member on here did it to his car and everyone was so positive about it BUT seems like your posts number are not helping...good work enjoy it
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
honestly, car looks very nice! even with the stock wheels. as for the springs, it made your car nicely done! i remember once a member on here did it to his car and everyone was so positive about it BUT seems like your posts number are not helping...good work enjoy it
thanks, i hate that post numbers mean everything. i built this car from the ground up basically, who needs posts. lol
Old 09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. Honestly I would just keep the speedlines. I have no idea why the whole world feels every single car needs aftermarket wheels. Those are some of the best looking factory wheels, and with everyone dumping theirs, well yours will end up standing out without you putting money out for wheels.

I'm rolling on 16" ZR1s, I guess I'm just hooked on the factory wheel look.

What is the model number for your head unit? That looks awesome in there.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad someone sees where in coming from.

Will they be the best springs in the world? No

But they ride and handle like stock and makes the car look amazing. So why the hell not?????
Relax guy, if you are happy with your mods then Im happy for you, but Im just clearing up the misinformation spreading.

Car has almost 900-1,000 miles on it, and guess what?? Rides like stock. "a few miles" hahaha.
Just give it time
Im glad you like your ride, but to me the stock ride quality was bad at best, it reminded me of an S10 pickup. My lowered car rides better than stock [think BMW 3 series] (thank you good shock valving!)

Stock springs aernt linear.
But they are.
Their rates are listed as linear (290lbs/in front, 114lbs/in rear [unless you can find otherwise])
And they also look linear:
Front
http://image.gmhightechperformance.c...vy_camaro+.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...f/DSC06510.jpg
Rear:
http://image.superchevy.com/f/109935...lt_removal.jpg

they ARE comparable to lowering springs. They lowered the car. Cornering improved. And it rides smooth as stock. I couldn't ask for anything else.
They are comparable to lowering springs like stock valve springs are comparable to higher lift valve springs.

Every car I know w aftermarket springs rides rough. Period.
Sorry you had experiences with cars not setup correctly. Every car that has had cut springs that I've been in has ridden very poorly (and handled worse).

I haven't hit the bump stop a single time. I don't drive like an idiot. And the car doesn't see rough roads. I've never bottomed the car out or hit the nose.
With completely stock suspension the car will hit the bump stops, they are there for a reason. Its not a bad thing at all to hit them, and that doesn't mean you will feel it either. What matters is how much and how hard you hit them.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Looks good. Honestly I would just keep the speedlines. I have no idea why the whole world feels every single car needs aftermarket wheels. Those are some of the best looking factory wheels, and with everyone dumping theirs, well yours will end up standing out without you putting money out for wheels.

I'm rolling on 16" ZR1s, I guess I'm just hooked on the factory wheel look.

What is the model number for your head unit? That looks awesome in there.
i like the factory wheels. the only ones i would trade for would be hp evos, or something that loooks like em.

example:

and i believe the pioneer is avci-d1
Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

200 more miles on the car today, still rides perfect.
springs and valve springs are two different worlds. dont try to compare
stiff aftermarket springs bounce. period.
i know when i hit bump stops, and i havent.
my rear springs dont look anything like that
my cut springs ride perfect and handle fine.
take all your complaints to the SUSPENSION section.

k thanks
Relax guy, if you are happy with your mods then Im happy for you, but Im just clearing up the misinformation spreading.

Just give it time
Im glad you like your ride, but to me the stock ride quality was bad at best, it reminded me of an S10 pickup. My lowered car rides better than stock [think BMW 3 series] (thank you good shock valving!)

But they are.
Their rates are listed as linear (290lbs/in front, 114lbs/in rear [unless you can find otherwise])
And they also look linear:
Front
http://image.gmhightechperformance.c...vy_camaro+.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...f/DSC06510.jpg
Rear:
http://image.superchevy.com/f/109935...lt_removal.jpg

They are comparable to lowering springs like stock valve springs are comparable to higher lift valve springs.

Sorry you had experiences with cars not setup correctly. Every car that has had cut springs that I've been in has ridden very poorly (and handled worse).

With completely stock suspension the car will hit the bump stops, they are there for a reason. Its not a bad thing at all to hit them, and that doesn't mean you will feel it either. What matters is how much and how hard you hit them.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

200 more miles on the car today, still rides perfect.
200? Whoa, slow down there cowboy.
springs and valve springs are two different worlds. dont try to compare
In terms of being springs, no they are not. They both have a height they "should" be at, and a spring rate for a purpose.

stiff aftermarket springs bounce. period.
LMFAO....
ALL springs naturally "bounce" (or rather make the car bounce), its part of the SHOCKS job to stop this. If you experience bouncing, its the SHOCKS faults, not the springs. If you had no shocks on a car the springs would cause the car to continuously bounce.
For god sakes educate yourself:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension2.htm
These bouncing cars you were in had inadequate dampening, my lowered car doesn't bounce at all(see proper shock dampening), where as my stock suspension did.

i know when i hit bump stops, and i havent.
Right...
my rear springs dont look anything like that
Then you don't have stock rear springs.
my cut springs ride perfect and handle fine.
take all your complaints to the SUSPENSION section.

k thanks
Just continuing to clear up the misinformation
Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well besides all the spring talk, it looks freaking great. Where did you find a faceplate to mount that head unit in there?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Well besides all the spring talk, it looks freaking great. Where did you find a faceplate to mount that head unit in there?
i made it.

car was in its first photoshoot today.

Quick Reply: spent the past two weeks doing appearance mods, lowered it for free!!!