Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

water spots

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water spots

I will be getting the windows on my z28 tinted soon but before I do I wanted to rid of the hard water spots on the driver and passenger side windows,and aslo on the t-tops.wat do u guys recommend I try using to get rid of them?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have tried clay barring and that has not worked, you can also try vinegar before going to a final solution.

If those do not work, you need to tape up all the trim and surrounding paint areas and hit it with #0000 steel wool and a 90/10 mix of water/car wash soap. Just be gentle and work it in the same manner as a clay bar. Allow it to do the work for you. Just be sure to not allow any little filing to fall on the paint, it will scratch.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g_carline
I will be getting the windows on my z28 tinted soon but before I do I wanted to rid of the hard water spots on the driver and passenger side windows,and aslo on the t-tops.wat do u guys recommend I try using to get rid of them?
Go to a automotive store. Buy some Meguiar's Swirl X and a foam applicator (Micro fiber, or terry if they do not have it).

This has gotten off some heavy water spot transfer from a bad roof in the garage I had my car at. Works like a charm.

IF its REALLY bad they do sell kits that you can "polish" the glass but thats VERY involved and cost much more then trying swirl x.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

They make window swirl and water spot removers on auto detailing supply sites. It comes in different levels of aggressiveness. You can even get scratches out.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on the 0000 steel wool