Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how to align door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default how to align door?

so i went back to the body shop and they spent ~ 30 mins on the door and i thought i was pretty satisflied with it until while drivnig home i looked in the side view mirror and saw how much further in the door sits from the rear quarter now (and it sticks out at the bottom)

i tried this morning to loosen the hinge bolts on the top hinge like they did (i'm pretty sure they moved the upper door on the hinge in but a little too far) and figure i can just move it out. or should i just leave it? do you guys think this is that bad? I'm beginning to think that i should have just left the door sagging like it was since i now have a crack on the bottom lip of the door and this alignment. since i do a lot of car shows with this car i don't want it looking like it was wrecked or something. I thought i saw them loosen the upper hinge bolts and pivot the door but i tried that and the damn door wouldn't budge (granted i did have a jack under it but i thought that's what your supposed to do?) i don't think they used a jack when they did it

Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after trying to adjust the front of the door to no avail (wouldn't move for some reason with both upper hinge bolts loose) i tried to loosen the stryker with what i thought was the right T30 torx bit, turns out its a T40 and while one loosnened the other one stripped. i was able to get a shop to help me get that fixed and get the right torx bit and i adjusted the door up some and it seems to have made the door sit how its supposed to. i can't help but thinking i feel like i'm back to where i was before i got the hinges changed since it still takes more force than the passenger side door to get it to close but it's not binding up when it opens anymore and its not clunking when i go over bumps so i guess that's all i can hope for.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to remove the fender.
leave the hinge attached to the car.
place door onto hinge(leave slightly loose.
close the door to align correctly and hold it in place.
tighten the hinge bolts to the door.
align fender to car.

Quick Reply: how to align door?