Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How-to: Lancer Evo Recaro seats on stock seat rails

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome, i loved those seats when i sat in them. Just food for thought for anyone who has an issue with them being a bit higher than the stock seat, someone does make a set of lowering brackets for the stock EVO seats. Its worth a look for someone to copy them for this application

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mit-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Teching In

If anyone in TX is looking for a set let me know as I have one, just send me a PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It took awhile, but I was finally able to finish the piece I made to hold the power seat controls...I made a mold from the stock trim piece then made a fiberglass piece from that and rounded off the backside.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
It took awhile, but I was finally able to finish the piece I made to hold the power seat controls...I made a mold from the stock trim piece then made a fiberglass piece from that and rounded off the backside.
Interesting design. Looks better than my hacked-up stock trim piece. I might relocate my switches to clean up the look.

EDIT: Did you do anything to modify the seat height? I still haven't figured out a way to lower my seat a little for more headroom.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Interesting design. Looks better than my hacked-up stock trim piece. I might relocate my switches to clean up the look.

EDIT: Did you do anything to modify the seat height? I still haven't figured out a way to lower my seat a little for more headroom.

Thanks, I might make another piece that contours the seat better..but for now its alright.

And no, I looked at the bottom of the seat and there isn't a way that I could come up with to have a lower seat height. If anyone comes up with a good idea, I would be up for redoing the brackets.
Also thanks for the inspiration of doing this upgrade.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I might make another piece that contours the seat better..but for now its alright.

And no, I looked at the bottom of the seat and there isn't a way that I could come up with to have a lower seat height. If anyone comes up with a good idea, I would be up for redoing the brackets.
Also thanks for the inspiration of doing this upgrade.
The "spacer" around the two bolt holes on each side of the seat could be cut off, and then you wouldn't have to use washers to compensate on the other side. It only looks like it'd save about 1/4", though. The real problem is the design of the driver's power seat rail. If there was a way to fix how the seat sits on the rail, that would make this upgrade perfect. I've just been too lazy to pull everything back out again
Old 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skorpion317
The "spacer" around the two bolt holes on each side of the seat could be cut off, and then you wouldn't have to use washers to compensate on the other side. It only looks like it'd save about 1/4", though. The real problem is the design of the driver's power seat rail. If there was a way to fix how the seat sits on the rail, that would make this upgrade perfect. I've just been too lazy to pull everything back out again

I had looked at that when I installed mine. But if you cut those off, the seat would not sit flat on the brackets because the springs on the bottom of the recaro seat would be pushing against the brackets that hold the seat to the rails.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the fact that the seat may mount a little higher. I have problems seeing the front of the car as is and I'm not exactly short.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I like the fact that the seat may mount a little higher. I have problems seeing the front of the car as is and I'm not exactly short.
If you have a power driver's seat, it will sit higher than a manual seat. It doesn't really help forward visibility at all, and the less headroom is a little annoying. I'm sure it would be even worse with a helmet on.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had looked at that when I installed mine. But if you cut those off, the seat would not sit flat on the brackets because the springs on the bottom of the recaro seat would be pushing against the brackets that hold the seat to the rails.
I hadn't thought of that. This is going to take a brainstorming session.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After going back and looking at this pic of the driver's power rail setup:

I've identified the problem areas here:

The circled areas are the actuators(?) that tilt the front and rear parts of the seat. The "dip" is just that, an area on all 4 corners of the rails where the rail dips down after the actuators. IIRC, the brackets basically sit directly on the tops of the actuators. If there was a way to get the brackets and seat to sit lower than the actuators, that would be perfect. In fact, if the brackets mounted flush to the level of the bolt holes on the rails, the Recaro seat would be at roughly the same height as the stock seats.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another idea I had was possibly hammering the **** out of the floor pan to make it lower/flatter. I don't know if this would weaken the affected area, and what effect it would have on any components directly underneath the car as well as ground clearance.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it is possible due to clearance, but could you make the adapter bracket look like this ---\___/--- Where the --- s would mount to the power seat bracket and the ___ s are dropped down a little. That would lower the seat some if it is possible.

Quick Reply: How-to: Lancer Evo Recaro seats on stock seat rails