Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

are there any F bodys that sit good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by REAPER13
There is a way to get form and function without using airbags or having to rub. I have not seen this kit on many cars and never have seen it on a f-body. Here is the kit: http://www.roberuta.com/english/index.html This kit is mostly used on high end cars but will allow you to somewhat bag the car for shows and what not then lift it up to drive away. The almost $6,000 price tag is what keeps people away. I am starting a project like McNord's widebody and I will be ordering some iForged 18x10" F and 18x12" R wheels. I will be running QA1 coilovers F and R and possibly this kit if I can fit it in my budget.
If you are looking for form and function do some research and you will see that QA1s will be on the bottom of the list to be used for anything but dragracing. Look into some good dampening especially if you are going to spend that kind of money.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh snap.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you are looking for form and function do some research and you will see that QA1s will be on the bottom of the list to be used for anything but dragracing. Look into some good dampening especially if you are going to spend that kind of money.
I was always under the assumption that QA1's are top of the line. But then again I always read that about a drag car. So what is the best setup for our cars for street driving, some road racing, and some drag racing. I would like to have a coil over setup front and rear if possible.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was always under the assumption that QA1's are top of the line. But then again I always read that about a drag car. So what is the best setup for our cars for street driving, some road racing, and some drag racing. I would like to have a coil over setup front and rear if possible.
i agree with JD_AMG i have the qa1 front and rear and they ride pretty good but the dampening is not as good. i do love the ability to adjust ride height tho, so thats y i have them but later i might sell them and just get koni's and lowering springs
Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im honestly not sure where QA1's get a good rep from, marketing maybe? Even the drag racers seem to not like them because they are known to leak.
Search the suspension section. Stay away from non-gas charged drag shocks like QA1s (HALs), Afco, Strange, etc. and look into gas charged sport shocks like bilstien, Koni, Edlebrock etc. The drag shocks will leave you with a floaty old buick-like feel while also being jarring like a truck (great for leaving the line, but not for anything else). The sport shocks will leave you with more of a BMW-like ride quality, firm, planted, controlled but not jarring. My konis made my car ride better than stock (less jarring while being more firm).
If you are dead set on height adjustable front coil overs (which are NOT any better than a properly setup front shock/spring combo) you could look into some (high expencive) KW coilovers:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Or use something like konis and a ground control sleeve kit over it.
You can see konis here:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
You wont find a better off the shelf (non-custom valved) damper for cheaper for our cars than the konis.

Rear coil overs are often looked down upon because they mount to the shock location, which supposedly isn't the sturdiest place to take all that stress and also messes with suspension geometry (puts more twisting force on the axle with all the force now only where the shock mounts to the axle, no longer on the original spring perches).

Ideally this here is a great all around setup, AMAZING difference in every aspect:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Search the suspension forum for more reviews and opinions, you will get the idea pretty quickly.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

^+1 i agree 100% i feel like im in a caddy it flOATS up and down real smooth sometimes but gets annoying. especially the front end.

Last edited by 6spdchevy; 11-02-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6spdchevy
^+1 i agree 100% i feel like im in a caddy it flOATS up and down real smooth sometimes but gets annoying. especially the front end.
Yup, thats lack of rebound dampening.
If you do end up switching make sure to post a review in the suspension section so others can know the difference.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

QA1s are excellent for their intended purpose- Dragging the rear bumper cover. Trouble was, when I bought the first set, I got Single Adjustables, which consequently led to dragging the front bumper cover just after the rear. Double adjustables solved that, and also the annoying float on the highway... As if I really drive this thing on the highway, anyway.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
I got connections... Ever seen Don't be a Menace to South Central? Yeah, Damon hooked me up with that.
I've seen your car, probably more than you since it got back stateside.
Mine is smoke and mirrors, just a myth, remember.

Well it's in my possession now, 16 mos later. That's what I get for saying "I'm in no rush" LOL! Runs like a scalded ape but we're not done tuning it. Getting ready to tear it down and do some much needed cleaning, rewire the whole SOB and change out some parts.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Hahaha, I told you never tell him that. I hear there are a few wiring modifications that were necessitated by the trip to the dyno. He called me that night and said "You're never gonna believe..." But yeah... Numbers are pretty raw- I'z impressed.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:38 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
Hahaha, I told you never tell him that. I hear there are a few wiring modifications that were necessitated by the trip to the dyno. He called me that night and said "You're never gonna believe..." But yeah... Numbers are pretty raw- I'z impressed.
Yeah, I should've listened to ya. We got in about 9 pulls before the belt took out the ignition wires. The whole thing would've come out the same way w/ the wires relocated only because someone didn't bother to align my pulley as originally requested but it's all good, I'm doing it myself. Once I finish what I need to do, I'll be back on the dyno but I'm shooting for next spring when it gets hot to do it.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys I searched until about 4 in the morning last night. I got a offer to buy some Bilstein Racing Coilovers. I have only found one thread and it was more of a argument than a review. What does everyone think of these. I would like to have coilovers front and rear for ride height adjustability and so I can run these:
http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/co...ed_design.html I will look into what has been posted above once I am not being forced to go grocery shopping. And thanks for all the info everyone. Oh yeah and that TA sits real nice.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys I searched until about 4 in the morning last night. I got a offer to buy some Bilstein Racing Coilovers. I have only found one thread and it was more of a argument than a review. What does everyone think of these. I would like to have coilovers front and rear for ride height adjustability and so I can run these:
http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/co...ed_design.html I will look into what has been posted above once I am not being forced to go grocery shopping. And thanks for all the info everyone. Oh yeah and that TA sits real nice.
The problem with the bilstien racing coilovers is they are valved to the customers specs, and since you are buying used you don't know:
1.) What the valving is, or what spring rate and car weight they were used for
2.) If the shocks are trully in fine working condition
Personally I would never buy something like this used, you can never know what you end up with until you get them. I would highly suggest buying new (its not like you don't have money to spare, you are apparently going to be buying a $3,000 bag kit for looks?), you [should, depending on what you buy] get a warranty then, and if you buy from the right person *cough strano cough* you can have a thorough explanation of how to install and setup what you get from him.
Again look into some new konis and a ground control coil-over sleeve for them.
Check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trans-am.html
Old 11-03-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SRZ
Yeah, I should've listened to ya. We got in about 9 pulls before the belt took out the ignition wires. The whole thing would've come out the same way w/ the wires relocated only because someone didn't bother to align my pulley as originally requested but it's all good, I'm doing it myself. Once I finish what I need to do, I'll be back on the dyno but I'm shooting for next spring when it gets hot to do it.

Wait- You can align a Procharger? My Nozzles are pretty well aligned... Just sayin'
Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

The problem with the bilstien racing coilovers is they are valved to the customers specs, and since you are buying used you don't know:
1.) What the valving is, or what spring rate and car weight they were used for
2.) If the shocks are trully in fine working condition
Personally I would never buy something like this used, you can never know what you end up with until you get them. I would highly suggest buying new (its not like you don't have money to spare, you are apparently going to be buying a $3,000 bag kit for looks?), you [should, depending on what you buy] get a warranty then, and if you buy from the right person *cough strano cough* you can have a thorough explanation of how to install and setup what you get from him.
Again look into some new konis and a ground control coil-over sleeve for them.
Check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trans-am.html
Yeah that is exactly what I said to him last night. I will check out some of the kits. Oh and the VRH kit is to raise the car for speed bumps, regular street driving, and or launching. I guess it is somewhat for looks. I am planning something along the line of what Mcnord is building like this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-show-phx.html
Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

lmao^
Old 11-13-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Figure I'd throw mine out there as well.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ car is done perfectly.... and i dont even like red lol

Quick Reply: are there any F bodys that sit good?