Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Racing Seats and Harness Install???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Seats and Harness Install???

I've read a few write ups on general sites not specific to F-Bodies and have a question. I've seen that installing racing harnesses in racing seats can be dangerous if improperly mounted. The optimum angle according to most manufactures is 20 degrees downward as the harness goes through the guides in the seat and that mounting them to a bar is best.

I've seen guys mount them over the rear seats to the rear deck and see the danger in this if someone were to get into a collision where that area of the car crushed. I also see the danger in mounting them to the lower seat brackets as in some accidents it could cause the belts to over tighten and crush the person in the seat. I saw pictures of someone else who mounted the harness to the rear seatbelt location. It seemed to be a much better angle but I still question the safety of it.

Any inputs?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of racing are going to do? I have the 6Liter design harness bar And a
wrap around 5pt harness.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

I was planning on buying your seats and the harness bar. I haven't made my mind up on the harness. I decided all of that after some research and deciding for my application, I don't really need a full cage. As soon as I got my shopping list I saw a picture of someone with there harness bolted to the rear seatbelt points. I'm not going to do that but it made me curious if it was as unsafe as the other locations.

I guess I'm kind of a nerd and curious the geometry/safety issues behind it. BTW...PM sent Steven.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

i would like to know what you find out because im interested in the same product and have the same question.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our bar puts it right where you would mount it on a rollcage... DO NOT get those harnesses that mount to the floor, that will f@ck you up in a real accident.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Our bar puts it right where you would mount it on a rollcage... DO NOT get those harnesses that mount to the floor, that will f@ck you up in a real accident.
Hey Mark, just letting you know that I received your harness bar in the mail today. Looks great. Anyway, the reason I am (sorry man) is to find out if anyone knows to to remove the seatbelts from the ceiling of the car. I have the bar installed and the 5 point harness in and it looks great, just need to get the stock ones out.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trans-Am Terrorist
Hey Mark, just letting you know that I received your harness bar in the mail today. Looks great. Anyway, the reason I am (sorry man) is to find out if anyone knows to to remove the seatbelts from the ceiling of the car. I have the bar installed and the 5 point harness in and it looks great, just need to get the stock ones out.
If I remember correctly pull the headliner and it is only one or two bolts...

Trending Topics

Old 11-12-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrapping video! Very useful, got the driver side of mine done today.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily driver or racing? I would leave them in. I have both a 5pt harness and stock belts and they work just fine.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssteven@6LE
Daily driver or racing? I would leave them in. I have both a 5pt harness and stock belts and they work just fine.
More daily driving than racing but I do both. I just dont like the look of the stock with the 5 points.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
whats the better option?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

More daily driving than racing but I do both. I just dont like the look of the stock with the 5 points.
You have to remove the headliner and then it is two bolts per seat belt. and then the bolt in the floor.
to remove head liner you have to unscrew the a pillars, the visors, the interior light (right above the rear seats), and then there is a plastic piece in the middle of the headliner. I forgot what it is called but i used an (what looks like) a small screwdriver sized pry bar. once the plastic piece is removed the headliner should fall down.
If you have a hard top car, not sure how to do that as I have only removed them on a t-top car. Also you will have a hole in the headliner where the seat belts were.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
whats the better option?
Wrap them.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GhostofKrypton
You have to remove the headliner and then it is two bolts per seat belt. and then the bolt in the floor.
to remove head liner you have to unscrew the a pillars, the visors, the interior light (right above the rear seats), and then there is a plastic piece in the middle of the headliner. I forgot what it is called but i used an (what looks like) a small screwdriver sized pry bar. once the plastic piece is removed the headliner should fall down.
If you have a hard top car, not sure how to do that as I have only removed them on a t-top car. Also you will have a hole in the headliner where the seat belts were.
Thanks for the help. Makes it a lot clearer. Seems easy enough, and I am not worried about that small hole.

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Wrap them.
That is exactly what I did. Right to the harness bar, secure and quiet!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Wrap them.
i thought we were talking about the side straps not the top ones... i was a little cornfused

Quick Reply: Racing Seats and Harness Install???