Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

BLS or DDM HID guys: where did you mount your ballasts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BLS or DDM HID guys: where did you mount your ballasts?

Was finally getting around to installing my BLS HID kit on the Formula today (although I was distracted by the OSU - Penn St game )...

I started to route the wiring harness as it was getting dark so I will need to finish tomorrow. I connected the harness power to the fuse block power and the ground to the ground behind the fuse block. I put the relay and fuse under the driver side hood rubber mount, and ran the wires forward into the driver headlight area. I ran the passenger side wires forward towards the bumper in an effort to avoid the driver headlight assembly as it moves up and down. It then moves back behind the washer tank as it crosses center and then back forward towards the bumper on the passenger side. I connected both of the adapters to the stock headlight connectors to see how much room I had to work with.

As it is currently I think I might try to put the ballasts somewhat forward on the rail that holds the bumper, sort of inboard of the headlights. In the instructions it says to try to keep them away from the rain... I think this will mostly protect them, but I don't know that there is anywhere that is waterproof around this area.

I was wondering what spots other people have used to mount the ballasts for their HIDs. Also, if you have a better way to route the BLS wiring harness. And lastly if anyone has any tips for keeping the wires clear of the headlight assembly as it raises and lowers.

Thanks.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 11-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my ballasts on the front bumper support.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up putting them on the metal rail that holds the bumper on, just inboard and in front of the headlights. They are under the bumper cover so hopefully they will be somewhat protected. As for the wires, I changed the way I ran the wire to the passenger side; I just ran it under the bumper cover in the nose.

Quick Reply: BLS or DDM HID guys: where did you mount your ballasts?