Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone have any idea what's wrong here? DDM HID (Is it the headlight housing?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

The other concern is that if you somehow modify these housings to use a H3 bulb again, you'll need to test fit trial-and-error to get the depth, side-to-side, and up-down positioning right to get optimal light output. Small changes make a big difference. It's not impossible but difficult since you don't know what the correct position is to start since these were already hacked before you got them. Also, there are a few different H3 HID kits. The ones with the shorter capsule put the HID arc closer to the H3 filament so look for those. Otherwise, if you get the longer kind the filament won't match the depth position of the H3 filament, and since your housings are hacked anyway, you'll have to trial and error that fit.

Anyway, since you already have a 9006 HID kit, play with the positioning of the capsule in the housing to see if you can get better output. But be very careful since this is high voltage and bright light. You don't want to electrocute or blind yourself.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by SSkull
It's still got all that. It's a small circular metal plate right? two small separate slots for small screws as well. Those were there, but he covered them with the silicone. They are now exposed after picking that stuff off.
How did the 9006 fit in that hole? From memory, its too small.

Just to be 100% positive, these are H3 bulbs I need right? Just like that ebay auction said?
I can't say for sure unless I can see the mounting plate.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
How did the 9006 fit in that hole? From memory, its too small.

I can't say for sure unless I can see the mounting plate.
I didn't want to take a picture because I would have to go and stop by where the car is(friends house down the street) I'll go and snap a picture real quick.

The 9006 seems to have been fitting perfectly, was seated all the way in, not popped out or anything at the base.

Be right back with a picture hopefully.

Edit: Car's in his garage, and I guess he's already knocked out for the night cause no one is answering the phone. So I guess I'll just have to try this out for myself tomorrow and hope for the best. I've done things like this before so with any luck I should be able to fix it from what I see. Worst case scenario, I think I've already found someone to go and pick up another set of these same headlights in person and then I can just install that new set and be done with the whole thing.

Last edited by SSkull; 11-15-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I just did some looking around at H3 bulb holes and it looks like on some housings, it might be actually large enough for the capsule of a 9006 to fit through the hole.

Here is an example of what I mean by the depth position:

I found that pic searching google.

Does the hole look like this?

Check out this site to see how this person made a new holder to secure a H3 HID kit:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4604280
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Car's in his garage, and I guess he's already knocked out for the night cause no one is answering the phone. So I guess I'll just have to try this out for myself tomorrow and hope for the best. I've done things like this before so with any luck I should be able to fix it from what I see.
Did you see the pics and link I posted above. It'll show you what a H3 bulb socket looks like and how to make a new mount to secure a H3 HID kit in it.

Worst case scenario, I think I've already found someone to go and pick up another set of these same headlights in person and then I can just install that new set and be done with the whole thing.
If you are going to get a new set of projector housings to install HID, don't get the ones with the H3 projectors. Get the ones that use H1 (or 9006, I saw one that said 9006, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet so I don't know if the ad was true or if its any good). I don't know if there are any other aftermarket projector options for the 1998-2002 Camaro besides H3 & H1 projectors other than making your own custom setup in which case you can use any projector you want (preferably an OEM D2S projector like the FX or a good aftermarket choice like the Morimoto Mini H1 projector).
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Did you see the pics and link I posted above. It'll show you what a H3 bulb socket looks like and how to make a new mount to secure a H3 HID kit in it.

If you are going to get a new set of projector housings to install HID, don't get the ones with the H3 projectors. Get the ones that use H1 (or 9006, I saw one that said 9006, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet so I don't know if the ad was true or if its any good). I don't know if there are any other aftermarket projector options for the 1998-2002 Camaro besides H3 & H1 projectors other than making your own custom setup in which case you can use any projector you want (preferably an OEM D2S projector like the FX or a good aftermarket choice like the Morimoto Mini H1 projector).

Yea I saw the link. I'm reading through it right now. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

That write-up won't work if the socket has been altered though.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

bump. how'd it go?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Launching!

bump. how'd it go?
Perfectly, sealed the bulbs in and secured them without any problems. Used h3 bulbs. Clean shine without any problems, and no blinding other people on the road at all.

Thanks a lot for the info, really helped me out.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

So you got a replacement pair of H3 HID bulbs?
Did you get the short bulbs or the tall bulbs?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, glad you got that straightened out. Post up new pics since you got it fixed, LOL.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Got the smaller h3 bulbs.

Ill take some pics soon and post'em up.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Cool. Glad it worked out.

Did you make a new holder or used silicone?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Cool. Glad it worked out.

Did you make a new holder or used silicone?
Was able to just make a small bracket, and they're both held in place by two screws each which is what it looks like it should have been originally, and then just to play it safe I put some silicone in to completely seal it in case I missed something.

Running strong so far, with no problems.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any idea what's wrong here? DDM HID (Is it the headlight housing?)