Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What products do you use for detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What products do you use for detailing?

Today was the first time I've done a deep clean on my TA. Shampoo carpets, treat interior, etc...

Interior I used Black Magic. After I started using it I knew I wanted something else, but went ahead and did so just to get done. The interior of my car looks like two butt naked playboy bunnies had an oil wrestling tournament inside my car! What are better options? Maybe Black Magic should be used for tires only?

Exterior I plan on using Nufinish tomorrow. Is that a good product or should I return it for something better and if so what?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Black magic sucks for interiors if its the stuff in the clear bottle. Try using meguiars. I absolutely love their natural shine, it gives it a new, clean look, but not greasy. Lasts a while too.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

I really liked their leather treament. I'd call TA interiors vinyl though. I'll see what they have, thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like ICE's interior care bottle/kit thing. Works great. Has a c'ean look to it, and not a oily look. I think its only like $8 and it comes with a MF towel.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlyinBryan007
I really liked their leather treament. I'd call TA interiors vinyl though. I'll see what they have, thanks.
They basically are. You can treat the seats the same though. This stuff is dash stuff specifically.

Nufinish isn't bad. Meguiars NXT is my wax of choice. Good for hiding some of the swirls and such. If your car sits outside a lot, you might give it a claybar first. That will work wonders IMO.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the tips. The Black Magic isn't going to dry it out/damage it like Armor All is it? I used Armor All on leather once and it made it feel/look quite dry. Re-treated that immediately with a leather cleaner and cream conditioner.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Meguiar's person myself. All except for wheel polish. I use Mothers Mag and Aliminum polish for that.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

I've been using black magic for 5 years. I love it. It doesn't dry out the plastics at all. In fact, in my experience with it, it keeps the dash cleaner longer.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

I tired this stuff once and it worked REALLY good. Plus it smells nice.

But otherwise, it's plain-ole Armor-All, Invisible Glass, More Shine Less Time tire stuff, Eagle One All wheel and Tire Cleaner for the wheels + tires, PlastX for the lenses, ScratchX for the paint, NXT 2.0 Tech Wax, Claybar, then detail spray. Also use McGuires Polish and pain cleaner occasionally. I use the Mother's Chrome polish and a powerball on the wheels..
Old 11-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Teching In

STONERS PRODUCTS Trim Shine, its aerosol, clean, dries fast, doesn’t blind you, makes dashs and radios and clear plastics look new. Love this stuff, I buy it a case at a time through summit. This stuff is the ****.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For carpets AND leather (vinyl) seats, try Tuff Stuff in the yellow aerosol can. It even has a picture of LT1's cloth interior on the front, lol. This stuff is awesome for carpet and mats but you can also spray the seats and let it penetrate for 30 seconds and then wipe it clean. Since the Tuff Stuff cleans it but doesn't shine the seats, follow up with some Lexol or Vinylex (made by Lexol). I work at Advance Auto and they discontinued the Vinylex but I bought 5 bottles of it, lol. I use Meguire's Natural Finish protectant on the dash and trim. Good luck man.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off, this thread sucks. I get it you're a newbie and want all the help you can get, but next time make threads a little less broad and vague and a little more specific and precise. A good detailer uses a wideeeee range of products for a wideeeee range of uses. Nufinish is a gimick product, and if you do your fair amount of google researching you will hear a plethora of reasons why that product sucks. As for cleaning and protecting the plastics in your car, I personally use a dilluted All Purpose Cleaner (APC) and 303 Aerospace Protectant. I like the satin finish, If you like a more matte finish, or a higher gloss finish check into Megs quick detailer or just look into tinting your windows and only cleaning them w/ soap and water or your APC.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

^That reminds me; definitely DON'T use Nufinish. We see people come into the store and buy that crap and later talk about how it marred their paint and even have some that have the car buffed after using it to fix the paint the Nufinish messed up. I've never been crazy enough to try it and I wouldn't recommend you trying it either, lol.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

For interiors I swear by my life to Meguiar's Ultimate protectant dash and trim restorer.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

For carpets, I used that Scotch Guard Oxy to clean em and I can swear by that stuff.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

im a pro detailer and i have tried many products, but if you want over the counter products i say use MEGS NXT for your wax, MOTHERS for your clay, ARMOR ALL for your plastics and MEGS HOT SHINE GEL for your tires.....you dont need expensive products to make your ride look good, you just gotta know how to use it. if you have any questions regaurding detailing or product info just PM me and ill be more then happy to help you out.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by desertLS1
I've been using black magic for 5 years. I love it. It doesn't dry out the plastics at all. In fact, in my experience with it, it keeps the dash cleaner longer.
I agree after the initial phase sets in a bit. My car still looks great and you are certainly right about the dash. I'll go back to Meguiar's however.

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
^That reminds me; definitely DON'T use Nufinish. We see people come into the store and buy that crap and later talk about how it marred their paint and even have some that have the car buffed after using it to fix the paint the Nufinish messed up. I've never been crazy enough to try it and I wouldn't recommend you trying it either, lol.
It did a fantastic job for me. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. My car basically stays clean and doesn't spot at all. I will however use something else as I wouldn't want to risk that.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Captain Double Post

No nu finish that crap is junk,all that will do is create swirls,get some zaino or something,the best wax I have used that you can find in the store is zymol leaves a great shine but you will spend more time getting wax dust out of the cracks,get some zaino you will be happy,I work in a detail shop part time,its worth it to get better products,they are easier to use,last longer and a lot of the time cost about the same as the crap in auto zone,pm me and I will tell ya a good website to get stuff off of
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

zaino or nothing! imo when you use it right, it provides the best shine out there. my dad has used zaino since it came out on his vette and i use it on my camaro. nothing tops it.

Quick Reply: What products do you use for detailing?