Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

68 Camaro Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 68 Camaro Seats

My stepdad has a 68 Camaro RS that's in really nice condition, but he has a rip in the driver's seat. The interior is black vinyl with white/black houndstooth inserts. I'd like to get him a replacement seat cover for Christmas, but the problem is that I only want to get him the driver's seat...as the rest of them are mint. Can anyone tell me who makes the best replacement seat covers that will match the original seats EXACTLY for a 68 Camaro? Please let me know whether it's a sponsor or not (please PM me if not). Thanks for any help and advice in advance.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats kind of a tricky situation. Even if his interior seems mint, over time the color may have faded a bit, on top of that, theres the issue of dye lots so it's kind of a crap shoot as to how perfect the new color will be to what your step father has
Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

not to mention the variance of vinyl softness and shine

best bet is to give him a box with an IOU and take it to a professional
Old 11-29-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take it to an upholstery shop. My dad tried hunting down the stock-looking material for his 71 Nova, and never found one that exactly matched stock. Then, after ordering (I think he got it from Classic), they didn't fit just right. The upholstery shop had to resew the cover. They look nice now, but it was a hassle.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

you should buy him a set of ls1 or lt1 seats. my brother and dad have lt1 and ls1 seats in their 69's
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
you should buy him a set of ls1 or lt1 seats. my brother and dad have lt1 and ls1 seats in their 69's
His car is 99% stock, so I don't think that's the way to go. Just trying to preserve it in its natural state.

The tear is in the houndstooth insert, so maybe it would be a better idea to take it to an upholstery shop and just have them replace that fabric by sewing in a new insert and keeping the rest of the seat original. Then the problem becomes just finding a section of houndstooth upholstery... This may become a nightmare.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

We sell some houndstooth material..... might it be easier to just replace the centers of all the seats?

Our material looks like this installed:

Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thmass6
His car is 99% stock, so I don't think that's the way to go. Just trying to preserve it in its natural state.

The tear is in the houndstooth insert, so maybe it would be a better idea to take it to an upholstery shop and just have them replace that fabric by sewing in a new insert and keeping the rest of the seat original. Then the problem becomes just finding a section of houndstooth upholstery... This may become a nightmare.
I'd yank it out and take to an upholstery shop. The worst they can say is that they can't match it. I am sure they can at least give you a sample so you can make the decision.

Quick Reply: 68 Camaro Seats