Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Irish350 - My T/a Thread (402/ls3/enough pics to wonder why)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said your using an ls2, i thought you aren't suppose to paint aluminum blocks? also why the aftermarket ps pump? just curious, very nice build you got there.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive never heard anything about painting aluminum..

My stock pump would overflow (probably the cap) and whine/make a grinding noise. plus this looks cool and i have no self control
Old 03-12-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irish350
Ive never heard anything about painting aluminum..

My stock pump would overflow (probably the cap) and whine/make a grinding noise. plus this looks cool and i have no self control
ehh i could be wrong, i just remember hearing something about heat transfer and the way paint holds in heat. but im not a expert and i dont try to be haha. i just didnt know if there was an advantage of an aftermarket one.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
ehh i could be wrong, i just remember hearing something about heat transfer and the way paint holds in heat. but im not a expert and i dont try to be haha. i just didnt know if there was an advantage of an aftermarket one.
Yeah, generally people switch because of noisey units like mine, or because theyre boiling over after a lot of use..

basically the turn one unit runs cooler, is more responsive, makes less noise (presumably more reliable over time), and you can also take the PS pump off with the pulley still on with it, as opposed to the stock plastic (ugly, weak, etc) pulley that covers the boltholes.

did i mention it looks cool?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update:Well, some meh news yesterday while i visited the shop. It looks like after all of the wrestling with the vapor system, catch can, shaker setup, throttle cable, (etc) most of the stuff I thought i was being cool in doing wont work.

Shaker: The mounting bracket did end up fitting with the spacers Adam made- but the SLP throttle cable places the lines up too high (may have been the case with SDPC one too, but ill never know). The box would have needed clearancing or it would break the cable.

Catch can: this may get revisited, but as it sits, the outlet on the far right (straight -an fitting) would also interfere with the throttle cable. Using a 45* fitting there might solve the problem but Ill also fab a new mounting bracket, because the one from Saikou Michi was pretty crappy after inspecting it in the car. Basically this needs to be mounted further to the passenger side, probably lower, and needs a new fitting.

Vapor system: This was also coming into play on the passenger side of the TB. Where the vapor lines exit they go straight up into the path of the catch can, which pushes that forward and further into the throttle cable. We wound up switching to a standard ls3 setup to clear the tb.

Where that leaves me: Right now im looking for a new radiator shroud (Sean @ TGMS may have one) to slap an FTP intake onto, but I also need to source one of those (stat...?). The ARH y pipe makes contact with the floor/trans mount, so that will get clearanced when the y pipe gets fitted/gets the cutout installed. Also need a tune, which Nicd should be doing sometime this week, assuming the rest of the parts arrive. Still will need an alignment before I can put miles on it for the dyno, but im hoping this is the last update before then..

have i said that before?

Pics are post pcv/vapor realization, pre shaker removal. Fuel lines are done:

Ill be updating my for sale thread once Ive talked to sponsors about return policies; lol
Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great build thread! Good luck going forward!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man, it gets pretty disheartening some times, haha.

stuff that didnt work (but is still cool):

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

eh, you know how many parts Ive bought that didnt work or never get used or I change my mind...all the fun of building a car lol
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey that SS hood would look great with a shaker intake...

...and a kurt urban coolant setup...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irish350
hey that SS hood would look great with a shaker intake...

...and a kurt urban coolant setup...

Haha not sure about the intake lol but PM me details about the coolant setup.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
you said your using an ls2, i thought you aren't suppose to paint aluminum blocks? also why the aftermarket ps pump? just curious, very nice build you got there.
i've never heard this either, but it could be true
either way, the ls2 is an iron block isn't it?

nice build man that thing's gonna be scary
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KreeperKamaroSS
i've never heard this either, but it could be true
either way, the ls2 is an iron block isn't it?

nice build man that thing's gonna be scary
nope, ls2 is a 6.0 aluminum block, an lq9 would be iron. I didnt wanna make the car any heavier so i got a new one from HKE
Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say just bend up the bottom of the shaker box. It is HUGE so you won't affect airflow and the metal should be easy to bow up right there.... It is just where the bracket is right?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, the bracket does cause the problem, but the mail issue is the cables themselves. If you check the pic with the steam setup on it (that last pic) you can kind of get an idea of the overlap, although its only the cruise cable; the pics above it show w the throttle cable too the angle just isnt as good.

basically the new lines dont have any give, and id need to clearance like .5-1" all the way down the box (from the bracket in front until the lines naturally lay back, which is past the end of the box). Would be really doable if i had time to bend it/probably reweld the rear seam (i have a feeling clearancing it at the rear would open up the seam)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update: quick one before work..

the cars been waiting for a tune to fire (still) so its being shipped to the dyno shop right down the street from my house.

Waiting for FTP to hurry the f up with my intake:

Remembering all the work i need to do on the interior still:

im glad he didnt send a pic of the actual cluster, cause its pretty bad right now lol

Y pipe, alignment, cutout and base tune will be done shortly
Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

went and paid up for rent at TGMS today, it might even get tuned before it leaves there for exhaust/alignment.

(ill probably replace the blue boot eventually)
also, the braided lines kept popping off, so they may go back on later.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

got it home friday night

im supposed to be breaking in the clutch, but after having it for ~2hrs i was already floating through 3rd scaring myself and my passenger.

I forgot to get the dyno sheet, so ill post that later on this week. Today will be buttoning up interior, changing the oil, and figuring out the lighting issues i started with a year ago (oh, and washing it lol)
Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't wait to see the dyno sheet. How's the PCV system working out?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not!

to get it running its on the stock pcv setup; im going to get some summit push-lock AN fittings which will hopefully make the connection on the engine side; after that itll need another stint on the dyno real quick; should have the sheet today/tomorrow (i think theyre closed mondays)

right now my cans are sitting in a box with all my stainless fuel lines, kurt urban setup, 6le shaker/scoop/bmr rad shroud, and more AN fittings than i wanna think about
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Other 'loose ends':

Having some issues with the TB: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...dy-w-pics.html

Need to get the y pipe clearanced more (rattles some still). Should be within a week.

Front timing cover ended up coming from HKE with a crack in it (presumably from the clearancing required for the double roller/oil pump). Hoping they'll comp me a cover and send it so I can stop draining my oil on the garage floor while i sleep.

Other good news: it looks like because of the throttle cable issue the TB blade wasnt actually opening to 100%; maybe after the cans are done and these issues are ironed out ill be in for a dyno-surprise. 500 rwhp @ 85% tps?

Also, a couple APPEARANCE RELATED pics; maybe spark some interest here lol

(wip shots = blurry)

Last edited by Irish350; 05-03-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Irish350 - My T/a Thread (402/ls3/enough pics to wonder why)