Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

need help with new hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with new hood

ok so i bought an oem ss hood and took it to get painted. i go and pick it up today and its not on right. the owner says to me it will never fit the car right. so i got pissed and get gave me my money back. also their were paint chips on the edges with the red showing through (original color) that he knew were there from him trying to get it to fit and he didnt fix it. he told me to never come back and refunded. i get home and notice that there is lots of dirt under the paint. im so pissed but it was free so....... but now i need help aligning it. i took it to another place to get a quote on fixing it and itll prolly be around 100-200 but i know it can be done i mean it is OEM!!!! the painter was an *** and he was the owner. so if anyone can help me out on fixing it like advice and what not..... here are pix

also there is no damage to my frame or anything and my stock hood fit like a glove.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

you try adjusting the hood stops in the front...I feel like that would take care of most of problems....
Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try what Trans AM Jam said or see if the other guy can fix all of it.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

well im miss one stop.... on the drivers side, the side thats sits too high. the side that sits too low i could raise it but what about the back passenger corner, it sits really high and hits the black plastic under the wiper blades when i raise the hood. also i do know the whole hood needs to move over because its crooked.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Out of curiosity, how much was it to get the hood painted?

I got one that I need to get painted and I seem to be getting very expensive quotes.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just mess around w/ it for a while and see if you'll have any luck. Not sure where you live, but it's pretty brick outside in jersey lol GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Launching!

you just need to adjust it better, play with the bolts with the 4 bolts if need be, I did mine with my father and brother
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

i just need to know how to fix the back corner as it sits really far back and its really high like maybe half inch. also it ***** about the same on the opposite front corner. how to you fix this. also missing a bump stop on the side that sits high but doesnt seem useful as the stop wont lower it.......

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Out of curiosity, how much was it to get the hood painted?

I got one that I need to get painted and I seem to be getting very expensive quotes.

well i paid 250 for the paint. i know its a good deal cause the guy has a small shop and he was the owner and has little overhead. i know he does good work but he thought i didnt know good from bad but im no dumbass.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

This video should show you how to properly adjust your hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p3TVUzTuLw
Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to adjust it at the hinges,get some one to help you,loosen the bolts that holds the hood on and just play with each side till you can get it to line up,I can't believe a body shop couldn't do this for you,and to me 200 seems really cheap,is the other guy repainting it?I don't think anything is wrong with your hood,I just think you need to take it somewhere that knows what there doing,how much did you pay the first guy?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Captain Double Post

Ok so you paid 250 from the first guy,ok that's like dirt cheap imho,I know when I go to get mine done it will be a lot more than that,honest I was thinking double that,I don't see why the painter didn't adjust it,or why didn't he pre fit it before the paint,well good luck man like I said it really looks like you just need to adjust it from the hinges,
Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Captain Double Post

The good old saying ( you get what you pay for) lol
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

there are 4 bolts at each hinge to make your adjustments. the two that hold the hinge halves together controls your up/down. start there.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
You have to adjust it at the hinges,get some one to help you,loosen the bolts that holds the hood on and just play with each side till you can get it to line up,I can't believe a body shop couldn't do this for you,and to me 200 seems really cheap,is the other guy repainting it?I don't think anything is wrong with your hood,I just think you need to take it somewhere that knows what there doing,how much did you pay the first guy?
ok well im leaving the paint the way it is. 250 to get it painted was cheap thats why i did it. also the other shop charging around 200 is just to fix the alignment not repaint.

Ok so you paid 250 from the first guy,ok that's like dirt cheap imho,I know when I go to get mine done it will be a lot more than that,honest I was thinking double that,I don't see why the painter didn't adjust it,or why didn't he pre fit it before the paint,well good luck man like I said it really looks like you just need to adjust it from the hinges,
i know if i take it to anyone else in the area itll cost about 300-500 to get it repainted so im ganna keep it how it looks. im 22 and getting married next year i didnt wanna spend that much lol. the painter told me the hood will never fit the car. i told him he doesnt know ****. which is why i got my money back. also i know i can adjust from the hinges to from it around but how to i lower the back of the hood. it sits really high.

The good old saying ( you get what you pay for) lol
yeah but he always is cheap. but i mean come on man just look at it. thats not OK..... i didnt insult his paint just the fact he didnt know what he was doing. he told me before hand he could do it. if he couldnt do it i know pleanty of places.

Quick Reply: need help with new hood