Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Which porter cable/package do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which porter cable/package do you recommend?

Going to buy one of the following packages, what do you guys recommend...

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cable-buffers-and-polishers.html
Old 12-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

go to autogeek and get a kit with 5.5" pads and some meguiars m105 and m205. they have a decent sale going on now.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

I strongly suggest this orbital. I was actually in the same market, but i opted for this since its much easier to use. Perhaps porter cable offers something comparable, but im just giving you some suggestions based of my positive experience. Either way good luck.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...dom+orbital.do

the buffer bleeds the air towards the pad to keep it cool. its clutched so you do not burn the paint, and even a mongoloid can use it without damaging the car.

I have this unit and here is an example of the outcome. Ive NEVER buffed a car in my entire life.

before..

after..

**** looks like a piece of candy its so shiney in person. I started out with ALL KINDS of scratches and swirl marks.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

FWIW we have a number of PC kits to choose from, we also offer a forum discount of 10% anytime and a 110% money back satisfaction guarantee on everything including the machine, pads, chemicals, etc.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-14-po...polishing.aspx

The thing to keep in mind is there are a number of products on the market that will give you great results. We never pretend to be the only solution, but we provide DVD instructions with every kit, a forum for support (www.AdamsForums.com) the best customer service in the business, and that money back guarantee so if you don't like it you'll actually MAKE money on the deal. Technique is the most important part of any detail - the best products in the world won't do you a bit of good if used improperly just the same as you can get good results with average products.

Heres a shot of the reflection in the door of my old TBSS

Or the bedside of my Avalanche

Last edited by Matt@adams; 12-14-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Griots one is basically a Porter Cable thats been re-badged. Same thing.

Nice looking goat. But if you wanna showcase swirl and scratch removal with initial pics in the sun....taking after pics in shadow doesn't say anything...

Originally Posted by RX666
I strongly suggest this orbital. I was actually in the same market, but i opted for this since its much easier to use. Perhaps porter cable offers something comparable, but im just giving you some suggestions based of my positive experience. Either way good luck.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...dom+orbital.do

the buffer bleeds the air towards the pad to keep it cool. its clutched so you do not burn the paint, and even a mongoloid can use it without damaging the car.

I have this unit and here is an example of the outcome. Ive NEVER buffed a car in my entire life.

before..

after..

**** looks like a piece of candy its so shiney in person. I started out with ALL KINDS of scratches and swirl marks.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSwut
go to autogeek and get a kit with 5.5" pads and some meguiars m105 and m205. they have a decent sale going on now.
This is a good choice.

If you're gonna be working on GM paint (like an fbody, vette, etc) I'd recommend the Menzerna Ceramic kit over the Meguiars 105/205 kit. The Menzerna polishes work better and finish down nicer on harder GM clears.

Both you can get at Autogeek and both are great kits.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
The Griots one is basically a Porter Cable thats been re-badged. Same thing.

Nice looking goat. But if you wanna showcase swirl and scratch removal with initial pics in the sun....taking after pics in shadow doesn't say anything...
This

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
This is a good choice.

If you're gonna be working on GM paint (like an fbody, vette, etc) I'd recommend the Menzerna Ceramic kit over the Meguiars 105/205 kit. The Menzerna polishes work better and finish down nicer on harder GM clears.

Both you can get at Autogeek and both are great kits.
And this.

It drives me crazy how many people post up indirect sunlight pics and think it looks amazing. Not talking crap, just the facts. If you want to see true results, take the pics in direct light or with a sun gun.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
It drives me crazy how many people post up indirect sunlight pics and think it looks amazing. Not talking crap, just the facts. If you want to see true results, take the pics in direct light or with a sun gun.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
This

And this.

those are the only shots i have of the car in direct sunlight. I apologize for not having the identical formatted pictures to argue on the internet with though. I was simply suggesting based off my personal experiences and the feedback from my professional photographer.

Im not running any business selling buffers and polishing tools, im just some ******** who polished my car and used the stuff i suggested and liked it so i suggested it.I can assure you the gto looks just like this guys trail blazer ss in the sun.

Just like dude said, everyone makes their own version, my only purpose in posting was just to give you my positive feedback on the stuff i used. (sigh)..
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

those are the only shots i have of the car in direct sunlight. I apologize for not having the identical formatted pictures to argue on the internet with though. I was simply suggesting based off my personal experiences and the feedback from my professional photographer.

Im not running any business selling buffers and polishing tools, im just some ******** who polished my car and used the stuff i suggested and liked it so i suggested it.I can assure you the gto looks just like this guys trail blazer ss in the sun.

Just like dude said, everyone makes their own version, my only purpose in posting was just to give you my positive feedback on the stuff i used. (sigh)..

Dude no reason to get all passive-aggressive on us.... No one was bagging on you or your car.

Your car looks great, and I'm sure you did a good job on it. But if you're using light to showcase imperfections, then you say they are gone but can't show it in light, the comparo doesn't work. I dunno what formatting pics you're talking about.... Its pretty easy to take a pic in the sun.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dylan@adams

While that TBSS looks great, still not exactly what I'm referring to. I'm sure myself along with gofast being detailers feel the same. Not bashing, just stating to show comparisons that is the ONLY way.

Such as these.

Deck lid:

Hood:

Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No need to "argue". We're just trying to inform you that your pics were not justifying your positive experience. I'm all about trying out new products and different combinations with pads/product. I have a few I stick to when I do detail customers cars but I like to venture out and test new things.

Maybe I'll try some of the adams products...never tried any.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Patrick,

I would contact Steve @ ShowroomFX.

Quick Reply: Which porter cable/package do you recommend?