Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
Thanks Jeff, I hope they fix it too! How'd the trip up to the snow go? I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks to kpeterson who suggested finding the paint manufacturer and having them look at it. If there are any other ideas or thoughts please post them up!
Dude the trip to the snow was awesome! I can't believe how well my 2wd truck did driving on snow! We had an amazing time! Check out some of the pics: http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5315
Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
I replied in your other thread, but if its the shop in San Diego that I think it is (that paints a lot of vettes), Im sure they'll stand behind their work, but it will take some patience. Like others said, their paint rep will probably get involved too. Sometimes with large temperature flucuations paint can do funny things if it isn't prepped right.
Pretty sure you know the shop by that description, but I want to give them a chance to make it right before naming them. I was told by the guy that tried to fix some imperfections on the car before I left the shop that the guy who painted my car was fired after he sprayed it. It all went down hill from there, got home and really noticed a host of problems, too many too list but the paint looked decent so I let them go, but now that the paint is starting to bubble I'm really ticked, they didn't do a damn thing right with my car. Hoping that the problem was the guy who got canned and maybe the guys working there now will do good work.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like you had a great time Jeff! Awesome pics, girls a looker too... Congrats Oh and how do I go about getting a wreath like that for the front of my car???
Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that sucks.........i hope they make it right!

mine is in the paint shop right now,for a total repaint.....

good luck!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:37 AM
10 Second Club

I hope they make it right..Im a painter at a body shop, I always tell the guy that helps me prep never to get in a hurry with any of it. You rush it this is what happens and then you get to do it a second time for free lol!

Looks like just got in a hurry, or a prep issue!

Any idea the name of products they used? PPG? Dupont.. Spies, Sherwin Williams.. Upol???

From pictures I say its not going to sand/buff out. Sadly its going to need to be resprayed.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

The shop owner said that they sprayed PPG. What is going to be involved to fix the car other than a respray?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
Looks like you had a great time Jeff! Awesome pics, girls a looker too... Congrats Oh and how do I go about getting a wreath like that for the front of my car???
Thanks Elvis! Yeah she is

Wreaths work on trucks/SUVs....but not camaros lol. Can you say scratch city? ONLY reason I did it was because all the chrome on the front...it won't scratch In retrospect it is kinda big, maybe I shoulda got the smaller one lol.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a prepper and I've actually never seen that before on anything we've done or any car that has comeback (from another accident). I don't know what it is, but I will say that our Spies Hecker paint rep says wait 3 months to wax.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:12 AM
Staging Lane

Are there any areas that looked good at first but now have scratches under the clear coat? This condition would indicate that insufficient time was allowed between filler work and/or primer and the finish coats.

Kerry P
Old 12-25-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know about scratches, at least that I can see. One thing I failed to mention is I had little spots all over the car that had to be touched up by Jeff (gofast908z) and he said they were caused by solvent pop. All over the hood, door, and rear bumper. There were like 15-20 little craters grouped together in the shape of half circle on the hood. Maybe an indicator of what's going on here?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm by no means a paint and body expert but I have helped prep and paint numerous vehicles and body panels. The fact that you had solvent pop shows the person doing the prep/paint neglected to keep track of the small details which make a huge difference in the end result and longevity of a paint job. Good prep and cleaning is key to having a good canvas to paint on. ANY contaminants (grease/dirt/dust) left on the car before spraying primer and paint will almost certainly surface at some point in the future once it has enough time to push its way through the paint (gasses escaping). The problem can come from poorly mixing the paint or clear, not fully cleaning the car in the beginning, not cleaning the spray gun between jobs, any leftover residue could lead to an issue like the one you are seeing which would be the responsibility of the prepper/painter to make sure the car was one in the proper fashion. It is a bummer to see this issue happen as there is nothing which can be done except to sand it down and have it painted the RIGHT way. Sorry to hear of the trouble and I hope the bodyshop stands behind their work and redoes the car for you. Good Luck
Old 12-25-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks!

Have you been raping alot of Fords lately? They tend to be trashy and carry many diseases. Hope this is not the case!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

All paint Brands are generally the same when talking about urethanes. While they might spray or be reduced differently they all require one thing. Proper dry times between each coat. It does not matter if you are spraying PPG, valspar, or Dupont. Without adequate flashing you are bound to have trouble immediately or down the road or both. From the sound and look of it you have both. Your bubbles (solvent pop) noticed immediately after the paint job that you touched up was from the clear not flashing properly between coats. Normally that kind of solvent pop will show up minutes after a paint job if sprayed improperly. The current issue you are just now noticing could be caused from the sealer/basecoat or even improper prep showing up. if the basecoat did not have enough time to release its solvents before being trapped by the clear coat it can take several months or longer for them to finally work up to the surface. Clear coat is designed to release these solvents over time which is why most shops will give you a time frame on waxing as to not seal them in. Really the temperature the car resides in is the biggest factor in determining the time till you can wax. If the shop is worth half of what you give them credit for they will own up to their mistake and repaint the car. Yes the car will have to be stripped and resprayed because your weakest link is the substrate that the paint goes on and it looks as though yours is pretty weak.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

We will see what happens on Monday, I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Temp was mid 80s to high 90s during the month and a half I didn't wax. Thanks for the replies guys, all this new found knowledge is sure to help when I talk to the shop.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The same thing happened to my car. I just had it painted in August. About the same amount of time past and I got bubbles in some areas. Mine was caused by them laying on the base coat to heavy and then clearing it to soon. The base coat needs to flash before the clear gets sprayed. Most of my spots came out from wet sanding. The bubbles on yours are not sandable. The car needs to be reprayed.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Elvis, WTF? Lol. Man I hate that happened. I hope they make it right for you though or atleast do something for you. I haven't got around to getting my calipers done yet cause my car ended up in the shop and as soon as mine got out, the fiancee's had to go to the shop and I had to get christmas this year and so I plan on getting them done the beginning of next year hopefully. Hope you get this worked out man.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow and I hope it turns out well. Let me know if you need any more info with the calipers when you get a chance to do them.

Last edited by Blk98ls1; 12-26-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok man, I really appreciate it. But yeah let us know what is said. I may get my car re-painted sometime next year and would like to know weather it was the shop or something up with the paint itself to know to weather to go with that brand paint or get something else.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

looks like solvent pop, they didnt let it fully flash between coats
Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks like the painter didnt allow enough flash time.
either that or the surface wasnt fully prepped.
Take that crap back and tell them they need to fix it. No acceptable reason for this to happen to you somewhat newly painted car.
Usually body shops have a lifetime guarantee.

Quick Reply: Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? HELP!!!