Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HIDs - What to know before you buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HIDs - What to know before you buy

Found this on my truck boards, which came from Redline boards. I don't see a HUGE following of head light junkies on here, but I am one of them. I see a LOT of people that just go out an buy HID's and stick them in the stock housing and this irritates the hell out of me. -Not saying here.. Like I mentioned, I don't see a large following of "light junkies" here. (then again, I'm not in this room all the time.)

As far as the K2 lights and eBay projector setups (I have K2's with 8000k's), I have NO clue why it says "Not for HID bulb!" HID's "burn" cooler that stock headlights but maybe it has something to do with the setup. A lot of people like ot use the TSX projectors, but those are pricey. If you want to custom-fab some projectors, the FX35 lenses are pretty cheap. 35w is stock power, IIRC and 65w is bright as hell! Just be sure to adjust the lenses correctly, and if you fab the projectors, be sure to set everything up meticulously. ie: Height of the lens measurements and leveling the lens.

Anyway.. I thought this was a good writeup as well, and I am quoting it as I do not take ANY credit for ANY of the effort that went into this. Just passing along some good info.

Originally Posted by XJDesertFox
Found this on redline forums posted by Omega_5 and found it to be an awesome writeup

It's become apparent that there are a lot of people who go out and buy HID's without knowing what they are getting into. Basically, they are throwing cash away. So hopefully this thread helps.

Projector vs Reflector
Now, as some of of you may have noticed there are a few of us that tend to complain to many members about putting HID's in factory halogen reflector housings. Most of you don't understand why.... maybe this will help.

First lets compare the light output.
Your factory halogen system is anywhere from 550 lumens to 1100 lumens.
HID kits range from 1200-3500 lumens; the 4300k bulbs being the most light output, and the purpley 10000+k systems dipping down to 1200 lumens.
It's easy to see here, that a decent HID kit will produce nearly 3 times the light as a regular bulb.

Now, lets compare the housings.
Reflector housing are made to push the light in one direction. They do the job, but you can't control all of the light output of a bulb. You can get glare at the ends of the output light. It's caused by scattered light hitting a point on the reflector, that it wasn't supposed to hit.
See the left image below.

Projectors, on the other hand, take all of the reflected light, and focus it on to a projection lens. This controls the end of the output a bit better... The disadvantage though, is that a projector will put out light on in the upper directions as well. A cut off shield prevents this. It limits how much light is sent to the top of the lens.
See the right image below.

Now, what is glare?
The glare I refer to is a beam of light directly hitting a persons eye.
I'm not talking about looking at the beam from a side or any of that... I mean right at the eye.
The reflective glare from some lights is similar to looking directly into the headlights.

Now I hope we all understand why we don't put HID's in reflector housings.
If you haven't got the point yet, here it is in simple terms.
After a conversion, your light will be 3 times brighter.... so will the glare.
Glare is what causes 'sun spots' in people eyes at night. A headlight light can cause reduced visibility for a while, but a very bright glare can actually temporarily blind a person. Not good if your the other driver.

What about cars that have OEM HID reflectors?
Yes, some cars, such as Lexus IS300's come from factory with HID's in reflector housings. We have to understand a few key points about this though.
1) The housings are specially designed for HID's, as to optimally cut down on HID glare. These aren't just your everyday run of the mill housing. Although they don't have a sharp cut off, they control where the light is being emitted to.
2) They use special bulbs; D2R. The D2R bulb has certain sections painted out on the bulb to reduce certain problematic glare areas. Also, D2R bulbs produce less light than the bulbs found in projectors.

How does this affect me?
Do you want to be the cause of an accident? Didn't think so.
There have been numerous reports in the across the US and Canada of accidents being caused by temporary blindness. What do you think was the cause? PnP HID kits.

Now it's a matter of time before the cops start cracking down on this.... and I sure hope they do.

Then what is the right way to do it?
Projector housings, or better yet, a retrofit.
You can buy projector headlights for under $250 now. They have dedicated low beam projectors, with pretty good cut offs in them. They are available from many retailers, and even on eBay.
A retro fit is indeed the best option. It basically consists of taking apart your headlights, and hacking the reflector housing to fit in a projector from a dedicated HID vehicle, like a TSX, FX35/45, or a BMW. It's actually the cheaper route in the end, but takes a lot of time. A retro can take anywhere from 12-26 hours of work, and many more hours of planning. Most retro's cost about $150-$200, plus the HID kit (bulbs and ballasts).
On a separate positive note, many newer factory HID projector are 'bi-xenon'. They have an adjustable cut off, to allow hi and lo functions on HID. Ex) Infiniti FX34/45.

So, that's the bottom line.
If you are still hell bent on a PnP ghetto kit, that's your deal.... but don't cry if something bad happens. (I've heard stories ranging from 'the cops ticketed me' to 'some angry motorist smashed my headlights')

Bulbs

It's apparent that many people have a misconception about bulbs, lumens, and kelvin.
So, lets clear this up right now. The higher the Kelvin, the less light output you get (lumens).
With that said, anything over 6000K is basically a waste.
So, what is the best bulb? IMO the 4300K is the best, as it has the highest light output. The problem, though, is that they have a yellow-ish tinge to them that some people find un-attractive. In that case, 5000-6000k is a better choice for you..... as they have a more blue look to them.
As you can see below, 4100k has almost the same color output as natural daylight.

(Image from HIDPlanet)

And a few comparisons of Kelvin color;

And a comparison of Kelvin to lumens;
Standard OEM halogen 55W 9006(HB4) = 1100lm (lumens)

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) -- brightest in the market
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

Higher than 8000k, the light output significantly drops off, causing the light to be almost useless.

One should point out that although light output drops off after 8000k, the fact that the light is in the blue-purple spectrum, it still puts a major strain on the eyes of others.

Now, it's also important to understand the 2 main types of bulbs used by the OEM's.
There is D2S, which is designed for projector housings. The bulb does not suppress any of light exiting the housing, as the projector controls that.
The D2R bulb, however, has a portion painted. This is because they are commonly used in reflector housing specially designed for HID's. The painted section controls the problematic glare sections that arise when using a reflector housing. As you may have noticed, from the above chart, the D2R has a lower light output.

And finally, for anyone searching for information on HID's or lighting in general, here are some important terms to know:
(Thanks to HIDPlanet)
Watt- Measure of electrical power (w)
Volt- Measure of electrical charge (v)
Kelvin- Measure of color temperature (K)
Lumen- Measure of light brightness (lu)
Capsule- technically correct term for a HID "bulb".
Candela- Measure of light intensity (cd)
Ampere- Measure of electrical current
Cut-off- A distinctive line of light produced by the shield in a headlight that blocks light above a certain height in order to prevent blinding of other motorists.
Beam Pattern- The pattern of light that is projected onto the ground which includes angle of lateral dispersion, width and depth of illumination.
Capsule- Another term for an HID bulb. Some refer to HID bulbs as gas discharge capsules.
Optics- The lighting control assembly structured around the bulb, which effects the dispersion of light and it's characteristics to a great degree.
HID (High Intensity Discharge)= Gas Discharge
Halogen= Incandescence

Old 12-25-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
As far as the K2 lights and eBay projector setups (I have K2's with 8000k's), I have NO clue why it says "Not for HID bulb!" HID's "burn" cooler that stock headlights but maybe it has something to do with the setup.
Its got nothing to do with the bulb temp . Just like with halogen and HID dedicated reflector based lamps , their are halogen and HID dedicated projector housings and lenses . Theres differences in the bowl shape , differences in the cut-off sheilds , and in the lenses themselves . With the ebay projector headlights being made for halogen bulbs and any OEM halogen projector housing , theres still hot and cold spots all over in the beam pattern just like reflector lamps, some maybe to a lesser degree than others, but their there none the less .
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Hmmm.. Yeah.. I'm running some weak HIDs in there before I really knew much of anything about them. The mounts for the housings were weak as hell, so I swapped my stock mounts and brackets to the K2 light housings and that seems to have solved it, but the cut off is still tilted slightly. I've got so much to do to the car this winter and that's just one more thing on my list. That and do some 65w replacements, but those are pretty low on the list.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There is also a difference in projectors. There are Halogen Projectors and HID Projectors. Some Halogen Projectors accept HID well, some don't. For example: Many newer H7 & H9 Halogen Projectors accept HID well, but most H3 projectors don't (unless you use a shorter H3 HID bulb, but even then its still a gamble). H1 is a gamble. Some do well some don't. ebay has plenty of aftermarket projector housings. Some are good. Some are crap. Some are fake (just a hunk of glass inside a reflector to fool people).

The thing with installing HID in a Halogen housing is 1) filament/arc position 2) lumen output. The HID arc has to be in the same location as the Halogen filament and the housing has to be able to properly handle the increased lumen output. Many HID kits don't position the arc correctly (especially not dual-filament kits like H4) which causes the light to hit the wrong part of the reflector and cause a crappy beam pattern full of glare. Halogen reflectors almost always can't properly handle the increased lumen output of the HID bulb which again leads to increased glare. Also, the HID arc is a different shape than the Halogen filament which can also alter the beam pattern.

Projectors have less of a problem with the increased lumen output due to their design. Halogen projectors will still have a narrower, more concentrated beam than a real HID projector which will better spread the increased lumen output.

Generally, a retrofit using OEM HID projectors is the best solution, but it isn't the only solution. One aftermarket example is the Morimoto Mini H1 HID projector. Its a plug-and-play HID projector designed around a H1 HID kit and relative ease of installation. Basically, open the housing, install the projector from the front, install the locking ring on the back and re-seal the housing. There is a little more prep to it, but its still a lot simpler/easier than a full/custom retro. Here is a video overview: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-Mini-retrofit. You can get a pair from The Retrofit Source for $300 with projectors, locking rings, shrouds, bulbs, and ballasts (basically everything you need to install them). I haven't seen them installed on a Camaro yet, but I've seen them installed on plenty of other cars. Their performance is close to a FX projector (which is the OEM Projector from an Infinity FX35/45). The Morimoto Mini and the FX / FX-R (The R version is a replica) are two of the preferred projectors for retrofits on HID Planet. The Morimoto Mini comes in H1 and D2S versions.

Check out HID Planet for more info on HID and retrofits. I'm on there too with the same screen name.

Also there are more than D2S & D2R HID bulbs. There are also D1S, D3S, and D4S (and R versions) which use their own different ballasts as well. They are different versions of HID (not necessarily in numerical order)

Last edited by VIP1; 12-27-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info. Maybe there wont be so many HID threads now.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Oh no, there will be.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so i guess HID's in my camaro stock lens is useless? i work nights and need the improvement.. Silverstars just dont do it.. i have a set of 6k 55w from DDM and they work well, but dont seem to focused. Which set of headlight assemblies will work better for my HID's and reduce the "glare" for other drivers?
oh and the car is a DD, and i dont have down time at all to take out the lights and mod them, and the whistler mod will look good, but obviously not finction correctly..
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

So if i understand correctly, and this would be for the sake of our cars headlights, our "reflector" housings arent designed very well but it goes unnoticed with halogen lighting because they are a weaker light, and when you pop in the HIDs the lighting is much better but so is the glare. Projector housings fix this to collect all light to one spot. So, its not that HIDs make reflector housings worse, its just that the brighter output makes the flaw (glare) brighter as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

No . The problem is difference in which a hid bulb and halogen bulb casts the light . The light arc in a hid bulb is much different than a lit filament in a halogen . The reflector or projector needs to be designed accordingly to cast the light right on the road . The brightness has nothing to do with it at all . Like I said earlier , even in a projector housing, the bowls, sheilds and glass projector lens differ between a halogen and hid version . A tradtional reflector like the camaro has, thats designed for hid, will be smooth on the bottom arc of the reflector. The top portion of the reflector is where the light is reflected off of . Thats what creates all the glare when putting a hid bulb in a halogen reflector, the light is allowed to reflect off the entire reflector .
Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is something I typed up for an earlier thread:

Originally Posted by VIP1
Here is a good primer I've posted a few times:

HID = High Intensity Discharge
Its a bulb and ballast assembly. Instead of a filament glowing in a glass tube (incandescent & halogen), HID is a arc of electricity at a high voltage in a glass tube.

Projector Housing
Its a light housing with a reflector "bowl" in the rear, cut-off shield in the middle, and curved glass focus in front. It produces a wide even light pattern with a sharp flat or stepped line with light below and little to no light above. Some projectors are halogen, some are HID.

Reflector Housing
Standard incandescent & Halogen housing with a reflector in the rear and either Clear or Fresnel or Parabolic glass in front. The cut-off and general pattern is not as well defined as a projector. There is no cut-off shield. The beam pattern is determined by the glass pattern and reflector shape. Almost all reflector housings are halogen or incandescent. Only a couple HID reflector setups were available from the OEMs.

Check out the Lighting FAQ for some more info on Headlight upgrades and projectors. HID Planet's Forums is also a great place for information.

You shouldn't install HID in the High Beam location because they can't be flashed quickly. You'd loose the ability to signal other drivers with the high beams. Vehicles that come from the factory with HID high beam have Bi-Xenon projectors. Its one projector housing for low beam and high beam with a movable cut-off shield. For the high beam, the cut-off shield rises to let more light upwards like a standard high beam pattern.

Here are some examples of bare projectors:

(Not my hand.)

Here is an example of a projector beam pattern:

(My 2001 Formula with Hella 90mm H9 projector, modified cut-off, and 4300K HID kit.)
(Since this pic was taken, I've upgraded to 55watt 4500K and made some adjustments to the custom shields for better output.)

(tadpole's Miata with FX35 projectors)

(Please note that those pics were not taken at the same place or settings so you can't compare brightness. That being said, the FX projectors are brighter, wider, and have better spread than the Hella 90mm.)

Here is some good reading:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

Some good discussion here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...un-around.html

Regarding HID Kits:
Basically Halogen and HID produce light differently (glowing filament vs. arc of light) and HID kits don't always place the arc in the same place as the Halogen filament. And some halogen filaments are horizontal to the glass tube. All HID arcs are vertical in the glass tube. Which means that the focal point will be off and you'll get a bad light pattern. Also, HID puts out a lot more light than Halogen. Therefore a Halogen Reflector Housing intended to spread a certain amount of light of a certain shape over a certain area now has a lot more light going outside this area not necessarily where it is needed and often where it shouldn't be (high, blotchy, and often into the eyes of others).

This problem becomes compounded with dual filament hi/lo applications. I've seen four kinds of so-called "bi-xenon" HID kits designed for dual filament applications:
1.) One fixed/non-movable HID capsule
You lose high beam but its position and resulting pattern is like the high beams are stuck on and you are blinding everyone.
2.) One HID capsule for low beam and One Halogen bulb for high beam attached to same base
Neither is positioned correctly and the high beam bulb is not replicable. Sucks for you if it blows.
3.) Two HID capsules on one base. Neither is positioned correctly and you have way too much light coming out for high beam and you can't flash-to-pass because HID starts up slowly and you can damage the bulbs and ballasts from frequent flashing.
4.) One Movable HID capsule often with a built-in shield/cap. This is the "best" of these options because it tries to put the arc in close to the correct position for high/low operation. The capsule will move depending on whether you have the high or low beam activated. The beam pattern is still not good, but not as bad as the above options.

For clarification, a bi-xenon projector has only one fixed/non-movable HID bulb. When high beam is activated, the cut-off shield inside the projector moves to allow more light higher through the lens.

Check out the Lighting FAQ: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710357

The K number is the color temp. It is not the brightness (well not directly, I'll explain). 4000K - 5000K is the brightest. Continuing up the color scale, the light gets bluer then purpler and the lumen output (the actual measurement of light) decreases. In other words, a 10000K HID kit is dimmer than a 4300K HID kit. Our eyes are least sensitive to blue light. Blue light also scatters more easily. In the end, we can see better with 4300K HID for many reasons.

For the 1993-1997 Firebird, you'd need a bi-xenon setup otherwise you'd lose high beams.
Check out the Lighting FAQ for more info on lighting modifications/improvements (HID and Halogen).
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710357
Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
So if i understand correctly, and this would be for the sake of our cars headlights, our "reflector" housings arent designed very well but it goes unnoticed with halogen lighting because they are a weaker light, and when you pop in the HIDs the lighting is much better but so is the glare. Projector housings fix this to collect all light to one spot. So, its not that HIDs make reflector housings worse, its just that the brighter output makes the flaw (glare) brighter as well.
Its not that they are badly designed, its that they are designed for Halogen bulbs with a certain shape, output, and filament location. If any of those variables change, the beam pattern changes. For example, if you don't mount your bulbs properly in the headlight housing, the beam pattern will look wrong. You can test that out yourself without spending any money.

HID kits pose the same problem. HID kits output more light than Halogen bulbs, the arc in the HID capsule is a different shape than the filament in a Halogen bulb, and HID kits don't always position the arc in the same physical location as the Halogen filament in the headlight housing.

These pics should help identify what I mean about arc/filament position in the headlight housing:

* This pic is an example of someone's attempt and fixing the arc position problem they had in a Halogen H3 projector. A better solution is to get a shorter H3 HID bulb (they do exist, but not all H3 HID kits have them).
* This pic also shows how the filament in some Halogen bulbs is perpendicular to the glass capsule while the HID arc is always parallel with the capsule.

This is another pic indicating what happens when the arc/filament is not positioned correctly. The lines are a representation of the rays of light leaving the headlight reflector housing.

Here is an example of a Halogen Reflector with an HID Kit which produced a really bad beam pattern. Not all are this bad but almost all have increased glare and an altered beam pattern.

More good info here:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...s/Hid/HID.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...un-around.html

Diagrams of reflector / projector
(images from this thread: http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=127947)

Reflector:

Projector:

Last edited by VIP1; 12-28-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Some newer Halogen projectors (ex: late model Miata H7 projectors and Acura MDX H11 projectors) are designed similar to HID projectors and accept HID fairly well. Some earlier Halogen projectors on the other hand don't. Watch out for ebay projectors. Many are awful, using poorly designed halogen projectors.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 AM
Banned

This doesn't matter. Bottom line my stock halogens sucked even after replacing them. I'd rather anger the occasional overly sensitive motorist once in awhile then smash up my ride. I can see great with the nice LMC housing and my 6000k's. They're only 35w so no big deal.

There just aren't options. And mine don't even look closed to that crappy dispersed light in post 11. That is awful.

Quick Reply: HIDs - What to know before you buy