Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Question on polishing products

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on polishing products

Looking at picking up a Porter Cable 7424XP Swirl Buster Kit 5.5" Pads from eshine ca. would the 5.5 or 6.5 kit be more beneficial. I have a 98 camaro that is black, and it does have swirls. I was thinking the orange pad, a long with a white pad and the black, or should i just get the 7424xp and different pads. also looking for a suggestions to which polish/products I should get. Currently I have a meguirs gold wax, and a finishing compound Ill find the name for it tom. I currently have a simoniz polisher but everyone says its junk... If someone could find the list of products I need the most and suggest them from sponsor in canada preferably or from eshine as I have gift certificate there and shipping is free over 150. Ive been reading a fair bit but there are so many products, also need a clay, so looking at ricardo, which one?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to their website. That looks like a good "kit". I have always used the 6.5 pads, but would not hesitate in using the 5.5". I have a set of the 4" pads for tight areas and small areas that need correction. Those are the pads that I use. Orange for light cutting, white for polishing and black for finishing. The polisher you have is fine for applying and remover polish/wax, but it's not made for any paint correction. You will be amazed at what the PC can do. I have had mine for 6 years and average 75-85 cars a year. So for the "average" user, it's a lifetime purchase. I have used alot of different brands. I am now using Adam's Polish's products. For the compounds I use Meguair's M105/M205. Eshine is in Canada and you have a gift certificate, so I would use that. Get you a good quality car wash and some microfiber towels and your ready to go. You can things when you need them. As for the clay bar, I would get a mild version. It says the blue bar is more aggressive than the yellow. The more aggressive the clay bar, the more and faster it will remove contaminants. But, you may also have to "clean" the paint afterwards. I have always used a mild bar. If it needs more than that, I use the M105/M205.

Last edited by 99zee; 01-07-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Appreciate the advice, would you still go with the meguirs if the car is a DD and experiences gravel and dirt roads daily in the summer? I need a sealent or wax that is going to be resistant to a ton of dust, as i can wash the car and the next day it looks like I havent washed it in weeks. I was looking at pepboys products or possibly klausse or wolfgangs. I am not looking to reapply every month or so, so I am looking at a synthetic I think, was wondering if there was anything worth the money over the meguirs gold class black. I also have the meguirs gold class washing soap. Dont have a lot of money so was looking at the pepboys compounds as they seem to be ok and are on sale, fits a students budget lol. any info from anyone is appreciated.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

I use the meguiars 105/205 combo with the LC pads of varying degrees to great effect! for sealant I have been impressed with meguiars polymer sealant 2.0. water beading after snow, salt, ice and rain since November on my dad's gtp. as far as process i did a one step with 205 on orange pad and followed with the 2.0.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not used the Mequiars finishing products (wax) for years, but they rate up there at the top. Get the paint nice and clean and apply a polish/sealant and then a coat of wax. That will protect the paint and keep the dust from settling into the paint. Your dusty conditions will make it tougher, but keeping a quality product on the paint will help alot. I use the same products and steps for my DD as the Camaro that rarely gets out of the garage.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Meguires is about the only thing I use to detail and clean my car up with and I prefer it over other off the store shelf products. When I get another DD, I may look into other products out there but for now, it's Meguires for me.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would get thr Griots Garage 6" Orbital, Much more power and a better warranty than the Porter Cable.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Launching!

So i went out to the garage and I found the compound i mentioned I had earlier its called farecla g10 finishing compound. I still have quite a bit left as its 500ml so can I use this? If so what pad would I use it with and at what stage? Would I need any other compounds like the meguirs 205/105? their 40 dollar price tag is killing me lol. Once again appreciate the help.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure what the make up of that compound is??? If you use it I would use it with the orange pad. Use it before finish polishing and wax. Depending on what it is made of you might need to clean up some swirls. The 105/205 is high, but they also have smaller sampler sizes for $10.00. I sold alot more of the smaller sizes than the large ones. I had to alomost give away the large ones to clear my inventory. Most people don't need 32 ounces.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Here is the link of the compound http://www.farecla.com/?screenID=125#/125, I will check canadian tire to see if they have smaller sizes of the 105/205, as I cant afford to drop 80 dollars on polish right now on top of the 200 for the pc.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe77
Here is the link of the compound http://www.farecla.com/?screenID=125#/125, I will check canadian tire to see if they have smaller sizes of the 105/205, as I cant afford to drop 80 dollars on polish right now on top of the 200 for the pc.
That compound is for light scratches and swirls. The orange pad will work with that just fine. I will send you a PM with a website where I used to buy some products. Not sure what the shipping would be to Canada.

Quick Reply: Question on polishing products