Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

02 to 98 steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 to 98 steering column

I want to swap a 02 black steering column into my 98. The new one has radio controls and I was curious if anyone has done this before. I know the airbag plugs are different on the 02 and I'm curious if I can splice the radio controls in there. Hopefully someone has a write up on this somewhere?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

-Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should really try searching and/or posting in the right section of the forum, however...

do you have a pontiac or a chevy?

do you run a stock or aftermarket head unit?

if you run the stock head unit, you will need an air bag, steering wheel, steering column for the SIR coil/clock spring. You cannot get an SIR coil from a car that had its airbags deployed. you probably want to find someone who is parting out a car so that you can get the little chunk of harness that connects the radio control portion of the SIR coil/clock spring to the vehicle harness, it will make your life easier.

if you are running an after market head unit, you will need everything that i mentioned above as well as a PAC audio SWI-something (SWI = steering wheel interface), depending on the manufacturer of your aftermarket head unit and if your head unit has a wired remote input. if the head unit does not use a wired remote input and uses infrared instead, you will need a PAC audio SWI-X and the remote to the head unit to program the SWi-x.

also, check out the links below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-controls.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...o-install.html
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jdoyle
you should really try searching and/or posting in the right section of the forum, however...

do you have a pontiac or a chevy?

do you run a stock or aftermarket head unit?

if you run the stock head unit, you will need an air bag, steering wheel, steering column for the SIR coil/clock spring. You cannot get an SIR coil from a car that had its airbags deployed. you probably want to find someone who is parting out a car so that you can get the little chunk of harness that connects the radio control portion of the SIR coil/clock spring to the vehicle harness, it will make your life easier.

if you are running an after market head unit, you will need everything that i mentioned above as well as a PAC audio SWI-something (SWI = steering wheel interface), depending on the manufacturer of your aftermarket head unit and if your head unit has a wired remote input. if the head unit does not use a wired remote input and uses infrared instead, you will need a PAC audio SWI-X and the remote to the head unit to program the SWi-x.

also, check out the links below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-controls.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...o-install.html
I'm sure he's got a camaro because the trans am/firebird had the same basic wheel with radio controls from 95-02.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a lot of searching but for some reason never thought to look in the Stereo/Electronics sections, I figured since I viewed it as an appearance upgrade I was in the right spot. Anyway, I have a column out of a 02, but the AB was deployed, so I guess that makes this column unusable? I read both of the links in your post, and will probably try and get ahold of a complete column. Seems pretty straight forward when going that route. Thanks for all the great info BTW.

-Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

What is your 98, Camaro or Firebird? If you're going to swap out the column then you're either going to have to swap out the ignition lock because the resistor in it is matched to your BCM, or get an ignition key for the donor column and the BCM out of the same car to make it work.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TechCam97
What is your 98, Camaro or Firebird? If you're going to swap out the column then you're either going to have to swap out the ignition lock because the resistor in it is matched to your BCM, or get an ignition key for the donor column and the BCM out of the same car to make it work.
or he could just string the new SIR coil/clockspring through his current column to make it work, right?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for hassling you Mike.

you are correct. if the airbag deployed, then the SIR coil/clockspring should not be used.

PM STS95T/A. I know he has a wheel without an airbag and a column for sale, or he did last time i checked. Just need to make sure the SIR coil/clockspring that is inside the column came off of a car whos airbag did not deploy. last i checked, firedust7@yahoo.com had an airbag for sale too.

i would recommend finding someone who is parting out a 2000 - 2002 camaro and get everything that you need from that person. airbag, wheel, column (with key), BCM and harness connector chunk.

you can also just swap in their column for yours, but as mentioned earlier, you will need their keys as well as their BCM (body control module) to make it work.

also, are you running a stock head unit or aftermarket?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

or he could just string the new SIR coil/clockspring through his current column to make it work, right?
Yes, of course. I ran a new SIR coil wiring through my column, but I won't lie and say it was easy, haha! While the column as a whole would probably be easier, it presents it's own issues.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for hassling you Mike.
No worries bud, thats what I get for having my dumb *** in the wrong section.

also, are you running a stock head unit or aftermarket?
I currently have a stock head unit.

This sounds a bit more problematic than its worth. I took apart the column I have with the thinking I could rig something up, but found out the the wheel controls go into a ribbon cable through the column, which makes it more difficult to duplicate. From everything I've read, the easiest option is to get the whole column, but that seems to be a PITA as well, due to the BCM issues. I have changed the entire interior (minus the dash and column) from gray to ebony, so I guess I need to be on the hunt for an ebony dash and steering column. I really appreciate all the input folks, but I think I will attack this mod when I locate a complete dash and column.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why an ebony dash? I have a graphite interior and an ebony wheel out of a 2001 Camaro. I think you're imagining it as more of a difficult problem then it really is, it's not hard. I've done it three times. Pick a specific way of doing it and I can advise you easier. When you get flooded with information pertaining to every single way of doing it then it can seem much more difficult.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I was seriously considering doing this mod as well, but when I priced it out: $260 shipped for the airbag, steering wheel, steering column, harness chunk, keys and BCM, $20 for the alpine remote from crutchfield to program the swi-x and $70 for the pac audio swi-x, totaling $350, i just said **** it, bought the remote, and decided to save up a little more for some strano bars.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get the steering wheels and airbags off different cars. I got my airbag off a Monte Carlo for like $30 off of eBay. Certain year Lumina's have the same type of bag as well. It was a lot cheaper buying the airbag from a Monte Carlo rather than paying the F-Body tax.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ya, i remember you pointing that out in the thread that you made.

hmmmmm... very very interesting...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

user johnnyboyweber has a camaro steering wheel (no airbag) connected to a column with key for sale. just thought i would let you know.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

user johnnyboyweber has a camaro steering wheel (no airbag) connected to a column with key for sale. just thought i would let you know.
Thank you sir.

-Mike Doyle
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

is your last name actually doyle?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe user Boost-box has an airbag as well. Don't hold me to that, but it is worth a shot if you are looking for one.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe user Boost-box has an airbag as well. Don't hold me to that, but it is worth a shot if you are looking for one.
he said 55 bucks and it is yours.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is your last name actually doyle?
Yes sir it is.