Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Side markers collecting water

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Side markers collecting water

I put in some clear side markers on the TA a few months ago and now I'm noticing thats there's a lot more water and moisture collecting that is clearly visible and doesn't look too good.

I didn't really seem to have the problem with the stock lenses that fit a little tighter. Anybody have a fix for this? Clear gasket, silicone or something?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used silicone on my ebay clear corners for my camaro and its snug fit.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take them about and re-seal them. If the inside has gotten bad, buy some new ones but before you put em in, take em apart and re-seal them.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rubber washer on the bulb socket didn't stick to the old lens did it?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

^ I didn't think about adding that to my post. That could let water/moister in also if your in a wet area.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swiat34
The rubber washer on the bulb socket didn't stick to the old lens did it?
Hmm I don't really know. I'll have to take a look.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Just take them about and re-seal them. If the inside has gotten bad, buy some new ones but before you put em in, take em apart and re-seal them.
What do you mean by taking them apart and resealing? Inside of what going bad?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I was saying if the lense is not sealed correctly, then take them and put them in the oven for a couple minutes untill you can pull the lense off from the backing and re-seal them cause from the place there made, they were poorly sealed and you can re-seal them so there not getting any water/moister in them unless your missing the rubber seal off the bulb socket. If you missing that and still have the old markers, you may want to check on them to make sure there not melted to the other markers. If they are, I think some auto parts store may carry a rubber seal that would work for your car.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was saying if the lense is not sealed correctly, then take them and put them in the oven for a couple minutes untill you can pull the lense off from the backing and re-seal them cause from the place there made, they were poorly sealed and you can re-seal them so there not getting any water/moister in them unless your missing the rubber seal off the bulb socket. If you missing that and still have the old markers, you may want to check on them to make sure there not melted to the other markers. If they are, I think some auto parts store may carry a rubber seal that would work for your car.
Ok I gotcha. My car is getting covered in snow at the moment so I probably wont be able to figure it out tomorrow, but I'll def look into these things. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

^ Lol, I gotcha. But what I was saying about the backing being messed up was on my first set of markers, they would get so much water in them and it got to the point to where it would stand in there and finally made the backing or the part thats suppose to be reflective to where it was dull and would sign the light worth a crap.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Lol, I gotcha. But what I was saying about the backing being messed up was on my first set of markers, they would get so much water in them and it got to the point to where it would stand in there and finally made the backing or the part thats suppose to be reflective to where it was dull and would sign the light worth a crap.
Yea that could be the same problem I'm having. I haven't pulled them back out yet but I can clearly see standing water inside the lenses, not just a little moisture.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

^ Lol. I gotcha. First time I seen it standing in mine, I got pissed. Then after I took them out, I noticed the backing so I said F these and ordered another set and re-sealed them and wouldn't you know it, the factory style bulb melted the backing on the new set and would let water in. So now I have LED's in mine and I'm wating for a break of the weather to swap out markers with the new ones I ordered a couple weeks ago, lol.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Lol. I gotcha. First time I seen it standing in mine, I got pissed. Then after I took them out, I noticed the backing so I said F these and ordered another set and re-sealed them and wouldn't you know it, the factory style bulb melted the backing on the new set and would let water in. So now I have LED's in mine and I'm wating for a break of the weather to swap out markers with the new ones I ordered a couple weeks ago, lol.
Lol well at least I'm not the only one thats getting aggravated! I got LEDs in so I'm not worried about them melting, but I just need to get them sealed up before the sockets get all corroded.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Junkie

^ Oh yeah. Luckily, mine never corroded. How in the world I got lucky with that is beyound me. But I gotta swap mine out soon or I'm gonna have to swap both housings, lights and sockets for the LED's. But with the amount of snow and rain we have had here plus trying to find a job is killing me. Something is gonna have to give soon, lol.

Quick Reply: Side markers collecting water