Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What headlight bulb are you currently using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
HID bulbs don't scatter any more than a halogen bulb in a standard light housing. I had them in my Grand Prix and I have them in our minivan, nobody ever flashes their brights and they light up the road great. Removing the catalytic converters from a car is illegal too but I see many people doing it.
I'm sorry but I agree with the OP. Anyone that puts an HID retrofit kit in a non projector housing is an inconsiderate *******. This drives me crazy and seems to be more and more prevalent these days. I am typically blinded to hell a couple times a week by people that think this is a good idea.

Yeah no scatter... at all...

What HID's in a proper projector housing should look like with a proper cut off.

Originally Posted by confederatelt1
dude... what the heck is wrong with you? im sure the mods are going to like that one
Are you a forum noob or something?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No just dont like ********
The following users liked this post:
fucter (01-02-2023)
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

^ And that other comment was pretty tame.. I've seen MUCH worse on here that didn't get tEh lock.

And;
35w HID H1 5000k. ........................................ Not running V these anymore. Old pic.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

HID bulbs don't scatter any more than a halogen bulb in a standard light housing. I had them in my Grand Prix and I have them in our minivan, nobody ever flashes their brights and they light up the road great. Removing the catalytic converters from a car is illegal too but I see many people doing it.
Yes, they do. The focal point of the HID capsule is different than the focal point of the halogen bulb, which results in a more scattered light. Just because other traffic never flashed you doesn't mean there isn't scattered light.

Some halogen housings aren't as bad as others with HIDs in them. Some are absolutely horrible. The worst ones are usually the dual beam light housings, because the reflectors are designed with dual focal points from the high and low filaments. Well, the HID tends to reflect off the high beam reflector points, making it that much worse for other traffic.

a 35W HID is around the same lumen output as a 65W halogen high beam bulb. If you like bright lights and don't care about other traffic, why not just drive around with your high beams on all the time? Similar effect

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 02-17-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Corrected grammar mistakes from being too tired
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to realize that the factory lights in the Grand Prix anre not that great to begin with. There is still some light scatter in the factory Grand Prix lights. Just because you don't get flashed does not mean that you are not blinding anyone. Sparky has all of the correct info.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

I've had HID's in both my F-Bodies.. without them I would've probably killed one of the cars by now (vision issue). Yes, they scatter. It also depends what housing you use. Eurolights = eh. LMC Trucks lens = way better.

Even though the road is lit up very well, look at the houses at the end of the block.

Yes, I know, I'm an *******. But that's what I need to be able to see, unless you wanna buy me a BLS kit

MOVING ON.. Whatever you do, stay away from Sylvania.. haven't had any luck with their stuff. The "XENON" bulbs were yellowy brown. The "ULTRA 50% BRIGHTER" or whatever it was, WASN'T brighter, and a silverstar blew on my 3rd gen when I had it.

Just trying to save you some misery lol. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails What headlight bulb are you currently using?-img_20101225_014215.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Yes, I know, I'm an *******. But that's what I need to be able to see, unless you wanna buy me a BLS kit

Uhh yeah, thats why high beams are for buddy...and if stock their not bright enough for you to see I don't think you should have a license..
Old 09-22-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shockwave what's your projector set up?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00NBMformula
Uhh yeah, thats why high beams are for buddy...and if stock their not bright enough for you to see I don't think you should have a license..
That's what high beams are for? So I should drive around with my high beams on? Stock lighting SUCKS. My HID's never shined into anyone's cabin, and yes, I prefer these lights so I can clearly see everything at night.

Go resurrect another thread you useless piece of ****.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

^ My thoughts also. Highs are aimed up and out for a reason, the same with lows being aimed down and low. My $0.02 is since HID's put out more light, one would be good aiming the lows a little lower than Halogens to not have them up like high beams.

Quick Reply: What headlight bulb are you currently using?