Damn Rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the hatch i found a good solution:

-the side rubber bump stops on the hatch, screw them in completely
-pull back carpet in trunk by latch
-get inside the car/trunk area and while hatch is shut...
-take the three bolts on the latch mechanism that hold it/adjust it, and loosen them slightly, do not remove
-get out of the car, and push all your weight down on the hatch, this will lower the latch and the mech. as it moves all as one
- get back in and re tighten bolts
-now pop it and slam it shut - any rattle?
-some minor adjusting with the side rubber stoppers, and rattles went away

got rid of my hatch rattles and a gap i had in the rear weatherstripping
Old 03-01-2011, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

What if my mech does not go down any farther?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
How do you like your koni/strano setup vs stock.
Although this wasn't directed at me, I had stock suspension, then just konis, then his swaybars, then his springs in that order so Ill drop my $0.02 for what its worth.
Konis on stock springs definitely rode better than stock for me, hands down. More firm than stock, much tighter feeling, but much less jarring at the same time. Hard to describe in words but it reminded me (and others have said the same) of a german sports sedan kind-of feel. Firm, planted, solid, yet not overly stiff - definitely not the "typical" GM ride quality (safe for a few cars like the CTS). The rear swaybar added a bit more harshness, and made the car feel more "busy" on bumpy roads, the front swaybar had no impact on ride quality for me.
The lowering springs added a bit more harshness on top of that, and like the swaybars made the car feel more "busy" on bumpy roads (like you can feel the suspension moving more, and the car moving more because of it). Not bothersome to me, but I could see some not liking it (although this is a performance car, not a luxury car or SUV where you may not feel the road under you).

Ok thanks . I guess my dilemma is I want comfortable ride & better handling.
No problem there. Stock springs, Bilstiens (or better yet Konis for even better handling) and if you want strano 35mm/22mm swaybars (or you could find a used 32mm front swaybar off a SS/WS6, get new endlinks and use that with your stock 19mm rear bar.) Certainly not going to handle like a 35/22 setup, but its better than the Z28 30mm/19mm.
Don't forget sticky tires, throw on some 17x9" (or wider) wheels for extra grip over the stock 16x8" Z28 wheels.

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
You don't NEED new springs to improve handling either. Good shocks like Bilsteins or Koni's on stock springs will really improve your handling as well....ask me how I know
X2 on this ^

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
my windows when partially down..
I had one like this and fixed it while I was replacing a dead window motor. If its the same one as mine, you need to remove the window track. Its the "wheel" that moves up and down the track, it was actually broken off but staying in place because of the pressure the window puts on it against the track. Had to drill a hole and tap it, and get a screw in there to reattach it.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 03-01-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1997transamws6
What if my mech does not go down any farther?
Then try adjusting those rubber bumpers/bumpstops at each end of the hatch out some to push back up on the hatch when closed so there is less play/movement when its closed.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow alotta information has passed on in this thread. Ive been sick and not on my computer all that much.. im not expecting my car to be build like an audi as far as lack of interior noises. i know it will be noisey and loud and harsh. but its to the point sometimes that i want to rip Everything off my dashboard to get ride of the squeaks. I went over my door skins and put 2 small screws towards the front. that helped out. i know i have afew from the hatch area. Im going to try to look over all that stuff this weekend if i can.

My cars on bmr springs with koni 4/4's. BMR antisway bars, subframe connectors, i have 275/50/18's all around with ~32 psi.. the ride isnt to bad. just the damned squeaks :\
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend's 2000 TA had a strange noise in the door, sounded like something rolling back and forth. We thought maybe something came loose and was rolling around on accel/decel... well one day we went to change a window motor and discovered a GOLF BALL in the door.. someone at the factory was a joker? lol nothing surprises me on these cars anymore.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ LOOOL wtf
Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Hahaha what te heck??
Old 03-02-2011, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

ah, yes the super rare golf ball doors. lucky you! was the ball at least worth a damn?

this is how i fixed my rattles and pops. I went to the ebay and ordered a clarion head unit and 2 10" subs and BAM NO MORE CREAKS AND POPS!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a top-flite
Old 03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Wow alotta information has passed on in this thread. Ive been sick and not on my computer all that much.. im not expecting my car to be build like an audi as far as lack of interior noises. i know it will be noisey and loud and harsh. but its to the point sometimes that i want to rip Everything off my dashboard to get ride of the squeaks. I went over my door skins and put 2 small screws towards the front. that helped out. i know i have afew from the hatch area. Im going to try to look over all that stuff this weekend if i can.

My cars on bmr springs with koni 4/4's. BMR antisway bars, subframe connectors, i have 275/50/18's all around with ~32 psi.. the ride isnt to bad. just the damned squeaks :\
What do you have the shocks set at? And you are using the "normal" upper perch of the front konis, not the lower perch correct?
What size BMR swaybars do you have (they have made a bunch of combonations throughout the years, each time claiming their best for handling yet keep changing ) -If you have their 25mm rear bar ditch it for a 22mm rear bar - you will get a better ride quality and handling, 25mm is just too big of a rear bar for anything other than drag.
You have 275/50/18s? Is that a typo or are you running an extra tall side wall? Are they drag radials or something?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Koni/Strano= the best ride quality/handling. I actually think it rides similar to stock
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What do you have the shocks set at? And you are using the "normal" upper perch of the front konis, not the lower perch correct?
What size BMR swaybars do you have (they have made a bunch of combonations throughout the years, each time claiming their best for handling yet keep changing ) -If you have their 25mm rear bar ditch it for a 22mm rear bar - you will get a better ride quality and handling, 25mm is just too big of a rear bar for anything other than drag.
You have 275/50/18s? Is that a typo or are you running an extra tall side wall? Are they drag radials or something?
I cant recall the sway bars offhand. and it was a type there 275/45/18. regular street tires. i have a terrible cold so im all f'ed up and cant think straight. the konis are on full soft in the front and half in the rear. useing the proper spring perch. They ride 10x better then my 175k mile stock springs and shocks. this weekend im going to go around and just hit everything and see what makes a noise lol ill put some little rubber feet inbetween everything
Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
I cant recall the sway bars offhand. and it was a type there 275/45/18. regular street tires. i have a terrible cold so im all f'ed up and cant think straight. the konis are on full soft in the front and half in the rear. useing the proper spring perch. They ride 10x better then my 175k mile stock springs and shocks. this weekend im going to go around and just hit everything and see what makes a noise lol ill put some little rubber feet inbetween everything
You may want to measure them, an oversized rear bar will ride rougher and certainly hurt handling.
Have you tried adjusting the konis? I found near full soft in the front too soft, and it actually rode worse IMO. Try it at least half full stiff (should be 4 or 5 sweeps from full soft).
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Although this wasn't directed at me, I had stock suspension, then just konis, then his swaybars, then his springs in that order so Ill drop my $0.02 for what its worth.

Konis on stock springs definitely rode better than stock for me, hands down. More firm than stock, much tighter feeling, but much less jarring at the same time. Hard to describe in words but it reminded me (and others have said the same) of a german sports sedan kind-of feel. Firm, planted, solid, yet not overly stiff - definitely not the "typical" GM ride quality (safe for a few cars like the CTS). The rear swaybar added a bit more harshness, and made the car feel more "busy" on bumpy roads, the front swaybar had no impact on ride quality for me.
The lowering springs added a bit more harshness on top of that, and like the swaybars made the car feel more "busy" on bumpy roads (like you can feel the suspension moving more, and the car moving more because of it). Not bothersome to me, but I could see some not liking it (although this is a performance car, not a luxury car or SUV where you may not feel the road under you).

No problem there. Stock springs, Bilstiens (or better yet Konis for even better handling) and if you want strano 35mm/22mm swaybars (or you could find a used 32mm front swaybar off a SS/WS6, get new endlinks and use that with your stock 19mm rear bar.) Certainly not going to handle like a 35/22 setup, but its better than the Z28 30mm/19mm.
Don't forget sticky tires, throw on some 17x9" (or wider) wheels for extra grip over the stock 16x8" Z28 wheels.
From reading your post , I feel my setup for a DD stock street car I 'd need Shocks for the agile handling and maybe the heater hose mod for a slightly lower look.

You said lowering springs make the ride harsh, not what I 'm looking for. Great, however I didn't understand the part about sway bars.

When the sway bars are on the car, would you say they make the car travel as a whole and give it the affect of "slamming down" on bumpy roads?

It turns out my factory lower control arms and bushings are bad along with trans bushing. Do these come with busings? For a stock car what do you recommend?
  1. Lower Control Arms- Poly/Roto-Joint Combination
  2. Lower Control Arms, Tubular + Adjustable + Chrome-Moly
  3. Lower Control Arms, Tubular + Adjustable
  4. Lower Control Arms, Tubular, Non-Adjustable
  5. Lower Control Arms, Double Adjustable w/rod-ends, Mild Steel

On Sam's website theres array of things I never heard off.
Thank you for all your insight!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

All of the items you picked out come with bushings, the differences between those however come down TO the bushings they come with (along with some being adjustable).

If you're looking for a street car, I'd avoid rod-ends. They tend to wear and rattle after a while, and transmit the greatest amount of noise/vibration into the car. Poly bushings on the other hand transmit the least amount of noise/vibration into the car, but also don't allow the suspension to articulate as needed, which can give your car a rough ride.

The best compromise is to put a poly side on the body of the vehicle, and a spherical end on the rear. This helps keep some of the noise/vibration out of the cabin, and still allows for more articulation than the poly/poly combo. I'd recommend UMI's roto-joints for the spherical end, as they seem to be pretty quiet and allow for all the articulation you need, plus they're greasable and you're able to tighten them as they wear. If you want maximum articulation, you could go with a roto/roto combo LCA, which will still be quieter than the rod ends and will allow for full articulation.

The difference between the adjustable and the non adjustable is that the adjustable pieces allow you to move your rear fore/aft if you're trying to fit larger tires or a different rear. If these are not in the works, there's no need to buy adjustable LCA's

The last option (and the cheapest and most streetable) is to replace the bushigns on your current LCA's with the 1LE type bushings (on Sam's site, they're listed under suspension I believe). This still tightens up the rear and allows for articulation as well, plus, they're only around $60 for the set. I also believe that they're what Sam runs on his auto-x car (so it's not like they're going to hinder you too much for performance )

Hope this helps!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
The last option (and the cheapest and most streetable) is to replace the bushigns on your current LCA's with the 1LE type bushings (on Sam's site, they're listed under suspension I believe). This still tightens up the rear and allows for articulation as well, plus, they're only around $60 for the set. I also believe that they're what Sam runs on his auto-x car (so it's not like they're going to hinder you too much for performance )

Hope this helps!
Yep thanks for the clarification! I 'm a noob at this stuff and feel the shop was trying to take me for a ride , so heres another question.

If the bushings themselves are gone, would the LCAs be floopy/ loose and replacing the bushings fix it?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

YES!

The LCA's aren't a wear item (unless they're bent I suppose ), but the bushings are. That should definitely tighten the rear up if you replace the bushings.

BTW, here they are
Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

then i need to save up for shocks, and all new bushings to smooth the ride out some.. and lube all my suspension.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Yep thanks for the clarification! I 'm a noob at this stuff and feel the shop was trying to take me for a ride , so heres another question.

If the bushings themselves are gone, would the LCAs be floopy/ loose and replacing the bushings fix it?
ohh yeahh it would also ride like crap! good to see another f-body owner from NY

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
then i need to save up for shocks, and all new bushings to smooth the ride out some.. and lube all my suspension.
I did springs and shocks pretty much last. If i was doing it all over again i would of done them first! any shocks over stock are a night and day difference. Especially the konis. With my friends car i suggested he do shocks first (bone stock 93) after he did that the car was completely transformed.

Quick Reply: Damn Rattles!