Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DIY Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyou03
yeah i cooked my parts the same time I cooked big bowl of lasagna. I have this weird twitch now.
LMAO!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha!!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the sarcasm. I don't cook the parts in the house oven. I just so happened to take a picture of the finished parts sitting on the house oven.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by luckyou03
Sorry for the sarcasm. I don't cook the parts in the house oven. I just so happened to take a picture of the finished parts sitting on the house oven.
HAHA I figured that, and the response was pretty funny
Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Only problem is that I live in a small town and only seem to find things in the bigger places. Then I have to drive 75 miles each way in my dads truck that gets ~10 mpg.....you get my drift haha

I found a couple locally for $25-$50 so I'll see when they give me a call back

DopeFedZ What kind of media are you using? I have always used silica sand and its hard on the original material. I thought about getting some glass, but wasn't sure how well it works, or maybe some soda. I heard that soda works really well for removing paint, but not so much for heavy rust
I used 70 grit aluminum oxide media I bought at harbor freight. I tried the grounded glass that was suppose to be good for aluminum but it didn't do anything for me. So far this aluminum oxide is leaving the best surface for me to coat on.

This is what the finish looks like. Disregard the shinier looking spots I was using a metal brush to try and remove whatever didn't come off after blasting.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 03-10-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coating small stuff in simple single coat colors like gloss black is pretty easy to do at home with a hobby gun and an old oven and blast cabinet.

Doing what I do is a different story. Just don't get carried away, its the biggest mistake I see local guys make. They start trying to make money at it, taking things on that are outside their skill range and equipment capacity and 2 days later the stuff is in my hands to get stripped and re done and they are embarassed about it. There's a HUGE difference between a $100 Eastwood hobby gun and my $5,000 Wagner.

Hanging anything bigger than a 6-8" part in a household size oven is not going to yeild correct durability unless you build heat shields in front of the elements. Huge rookie mistake with hobby equipment is forgetting about infared heat. You will set the oven at 400 deg lets say, but if the part is physically too close to the elements, it'll get hotter than that 400 and over cure the part, weakening the powder.

I could go on forever, but the infared heat thing I always point out so you don't have prolbems with your own parts you want to experiment with and put on your car. Have fun with it at home, just seriously don't get ahead of yourself. I just stripped and re-did a pile of very expensive aftermarket parts last week that a guy took to "his buddy that does powder coating on the side". He almost ruined his friends parts trying to do stuff that was way outside his skill and equipment range..owner of parts was NOT happy..

PS, pretty sure I recognize some of my work on DopeFedZ's motor there
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Of course You worked your magic on the intake, vc's and tb. They still look
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Coating small stuff in simple single coat colors like gloss black is pretty easy to do at home with a hobby gun and an old oven and blast cabinet.

Doing what I do is a different story. Just don't get carried away, its the biggest mistake I see local guys make. They start trying to make money at it, taking things on that are outside their skill range and equipment capacity and 2 days later the stuff is in my hands to get stripped and re done and they are embarassed about it. There's a HUGE difference between a $100 Eastwood hobby gun and my $5,000 Wagner.

Hanging anything bigger than a 6-8" part in a household size oven is not going to yeild correct durability unless you build heat shields in front of the elements. Huge rookie mistake with hobby equipment is forgetting about infared heat. You will set the oven at 400 deg lets say, but if the part is physically too close to the elements, it'll get hotter than that 400 and over cure the part, weakening the powder.

I could go on forever, but the infared heat thing I always point out so you don't have prolbems with your own parts you want to experiment with and put on your car. Have fun with it at home, just seriously don't get ahead of yourself. I just stripped and re-did a pile of very expensive aftermarket parts last week that a guy took to "his buddy that does powder coating on the side". He almost ruined his friends parts trying to do stuff that was way outside his skill and equipment range..owner of parts was NOT happy..

I completely understand what you are saying. I don't expect a top notch job but most of the parts I want to do are suspension parts, not something that will be seen everyday. And I was going to start with the simple stuff and work my way up.

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Motorboater

If the suspension parts are steel,since they are under the car and more likely to see some projectile based abuse, you will want to either:

1) phosphate treat after a very complete blasting job(go for white level blasting, google that if you need to know what I mean)
2)Primer with a ZINC RICH primer after white blasting
3) Both if you want to get crazy

I don't phosphate, I like to use zinc primer. Adds significant durability and rust protection in case the topcoat gets chipped.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Sean does great work. My calipers came out ******* awesome bro! I need to send you another caliper though. The threads inside caliper for the brake line stripped
Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by chon79
^Sean does great work. My calipers came out ******* awesome bro! I need to send you another caliper though. The threads inside caliper for the brake line stripped
No problem. Snag another one on ebay or something and drop ship it to me. Thanks for the props boss.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Good info guys, thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: DIY Powder Coating