Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

cheap HID foglight options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cheap HID foglight options?

I know a few people have gotten inexpensive HID foglight setup that look pretty impressive. Does anyone have any recommendations or information?
I see a few setups on ebay in the 60-70$ range that look like they would do a great job.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one set of HIDs from ebay, the ballast went out a few days after i got it, they replaced it for me under warranty. I've bought hid bulbs from ebay with no problems. I say go for it, just be prepared for downtime if you have issues.

Why dont u search craigslist, usually in urban areas there such a saturation u can get kits from 50-80 bux. HID kits go for 60 bux in nyc craigslist all day.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try a sponsor here before resorting to Ebay or Craigslist. Not sure if DDM Tuning is a sponsor on 'Tech or not, but a lot of people swear by them. Plus, they were selling kits for $30 or something like that.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Launching!

$40 on eBay, got a 6k kit
Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

O*Nex is the company I've been using. Great products that are reliable.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

buy a cheap set off ebay. I got mine for $60 and they work perfect and i have never had an issue with them. I also have 3 other cheap sets on different vehicles that all work perfect and some are over 3 years old... this is one thing thats safe to say you dont get what you pay for in the more expensive kits... just IMO
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, whatever option you go with stay away from Xentec. I've had two of those kits and they were both failures. Took them out as soon as I could....ballasts couldn't maintain voltage and flickered and I had one set of their bulbs literally change colors so the bulbs looked different from one bulb in the pair to the other. Didn't have either kit for longer than a couple weeks. The O*Nex kits I've used are going on three years strong without an issue.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Well, whatever option you go with stay away from Xentec. I've had two of those kits and they were both failures. Took them out as soon as I could....ballasts couldn't maintain voltage and flickered and I had one set of their bulbs literally change colors so the bulbs looked different from one bulb in the pair to the other. Didn't have either kit for longer than a couple weeks. The O*Nex kits I've used are going on three years strong without an issue.

all 3 of my other kits are xentec... never had an issue. you're definitely doing something wrong or just have really bad luck
Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

Can't vouch for eBay kits, but I can vouch for DDM tuning. Had a basic 8000K slim ballast kit on one of my cars. Super easy plug and play installation. It was painless. And they didn't cost too much either, I can't remember the exact price though.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lows and fogs are both Xentec and they are GREAT. 100% issue-free. Both sets can be had for less that $100 from eBay.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ddm is good except they got sued for bait and switch. Basically they sold seven colors and only had 4 colors to give. I have their set. Works good but it's not the color
I ordered. It doesn't really matter anyway they quit selling them last month an said they were switching to led lights. I haven't been on their site lately maybe they still have some left...
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FordHater
all 3 of my other kits are xentec... never had an issue. you're definitely doing something wrong or just have really bad luck
Its not me doing something wrong as the moment they're replaced with a quality kit everything works correctly. I did get a set right after they swapped to the new round ballasts (which are a PITA btw....the big rectangle ballasts are much easier to find suitable mounting positions for) and then a set of 883 bulbs which should have had no reason to change color. I've had and installed HIDs in 7 cars now with not a single issue until I went the cheap ebay Xentec route.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

There seems to be alot of ppl having issues with DDM Tuning on here lately, waiting longer then they really should to recieve there purchase & etc. Someone also mentioned that DDM said they would no longer be selling the HID kits in the next month or so?? Something like that. I used to have a DDM HID kit, after about 4months my passengerside bulb somewhat went out. It still lit up but it no longer had its blue-ish color that it had when i 1st got it. 6000k was what i went with, they had a hint of blue in them when you look at them but shined white. So basically i had 1 bulb giving you a blue-ish color and the other just white color and not as bright.

I recently bought some HID's for my lows from VVME for $70 shipped. Which was around the same price i paid for the DDM kit. Wouldve gone with them but after seeing that quite a few guys have been having issues with them and that they will no longer be selling the kits. I just looked somewhere else and by the way, my VVME kit was shipped from China to the US then to Me and all for $70?? Great price IMO.

I believe you dont need the relay harness for the fogs, so the price would be cheaper. I may get my fogs from them or just give ebay a try. Just because its ebay dont mean its ****, quite a few good companys sell there **** on there.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Those of you who have bought your kits from ebay, should give the OP the seller you bought them from. So many different sellers on there that'll list the same kits and for some of us, the ones we get will be great and work and others wont work or last very long.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

^ True there. I got mine from Xtremehids and with two sets bought in two different cars, I can't say they have ever gave me problems other than GM thought they'd be smart and flip the factory connection but that's just a matter of turning the connector over.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Those of you who have bought your kits from ebay, should give the OP the seller you bought them from.
Good call man.

OP the ones I got were from US Auto Parts Depot, they've got a store on ebay. I've had mine for a few years now and never had an issue, and you don't need a relay harness for foglights. I got mine for $75 including shipping to CANADA.. which is a really good deal!

Search these exact words on ebay and their kit will pop up as the first one. Not sure what colour temperature you want. PM me if you cant find it and I can send you a direct link.

Search:

"HID Conversion Kit 880 10000K Digital Slim"
Old 03-22-2011, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, and especially ford hater, I got the same kit you recommended.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

When i got my car the bulbs were burnt out and i didnt have much money and wanted to replace them with something at least. I got some 6k bulbs off ebay for $6 or so, they both work and color looks good but you can't see them from inside the car when you turn the low beams on so there pretty much worthless other than looking good oncoming. Thats was a really cheap fix till i could get HIDs but it made me wonder, for those of you with hid kids in your fogs, how bright are they compared to the lows? Is light output all that great?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Thanks guys, and especially ford hater, I got the same kit you recommended.

No problem man! Glad I could help!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
how bright are they compared to the lows? Is light output all that great?
I only ever drive with my fog's on, even at night. I'm not even sure if my headlights still open.. haha. The light output is great!

Quick Reply: cheap HID foglight options?