Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hood inlet leds

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hood inlet leds

I want to get some orange leds for my hood inlet. Anyone have any recommendations on a good place/brand/kind to get em? I want it to have a very good diffuse orange glow.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just check eBay for something like these (300 SMD LED since they are more tightly packed than the 150 SMD LED ones and more reliable/compact than the cheap ones with cones sticking out of them, and they can be cut to fit):
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=300....c0.m270.l1313
To get it diffused, put a light coat of translucent spray paint over them or a thin sheet of translucent plastic over them when mounted. Probably a red type of paint to get that closer to a SOM color light. That is probably the easiest way to get LEDs into your hood nostrils.

But honestly, the best orange light you would get is from re-routing your front tungsten daytime running lights into the hood nostrils and running a quality ($8+ ea.) amber 3157 LED from Autolumination or SuperBrightLEDs. You may even be able to splice into the stock harness and run your own wiring for a set of secondary DRLs IF you switch to LEDs for both sets of running lights (bumper and hood). Since LEDs draw less power than tungsten bulbs, you could probably get away with running four LED running lights on stock gauge wiring.

Either way, hiding the wiring along the hood will be a challenge to do cleanly. I've been thinking about this too. I am thinking of using push-clip wire-loom holders and drilling holes into the hood where it is double-thickness. The wires sit inside the wire loom, the wire loom clips to the plastic push-clips, and the clips pop into holes in the hood. Even if you don't use it for electrical, you could in theory use it for a nitrous purge, right?.

Last edited by ZexGX; 03-22-2011 at 07:15 PM.