Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Warning: rear hatch water run-off when washing car

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warning: rear hatch water run-off when washing car

Ever noticed how much water runs down the hatch seal when you pop the hatch while drying the car after washing it? I always thought I was catching all of my run off with the towel, and opening the hatch slowly.
Evidently not.

Mine's a well cared for, always garaged 02 Z28 (ie no rust). I just pulled up the rear carpet to continue my sound dampening project. Both seat wells and carpet pads were soaked. There was no clue, the carpet itself was dry. But under the carpet and it's rubber lining, the pad and metal floor were soaked.

I have no leaks...just the above mentioned runoff.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just oped the hatch slower... thats what I do..
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the hose running on top of the hatch, get in and find where it's coming from.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use a leaf blower on mine before I open the hatch.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i been using a leaf blower for years and years....every neighbor ive had since thinks and looks at me like im tarded!.....lol
Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It can run off when you wash it, but another possibility is if you parked it "nose down" in the rain. I did that with my car one time, never really thought about it, and the rain channels in the hatch never drained because they're built to drain from the back. If the car is parked at too much of a downward angle the water will pool towards the front of the quarter panel and spill into the passenger compartment.

That's my guess as to what happened. There's not enough water left in the rain channels to soak the rear carpet/padding just from washing it. If it's parked level it will drain fast enough.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Leave the hose running on top of the hatch, get in and find where it's coming from.
Actually, that's a good idea while I've got all the carpet and panels removed. I always DO open the hatch slowly after rinsing, and try to catch the runoff with the towel. I've even taken to washing on a slope, with the back end down hill, so most will run off.

leaf blower? hahaha...don't have one. How bout my wife's hair dryer?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is always one thing I thought that GM seriously overlooked when they designed the hatches of these cars.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Omg I've been doin the leafblower thing for years now.. And yea ppl look at u like youre retarded.. Untill I drive by with my flawless black camaro..
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

You aren't the only one with this issue. My LT1 sits outside all year round and i remember awhile back when i was taking out the backseats to go to the strip (My first time to the track and I thought it would actually make a difference lol), I put my hand down there and it was soaked. I thought what the hell!! My window seals leak a little toward the back of the door so i thought maybe water got in through there and just collected.

Earlier this year, my glasses fell in between the seat and tunnel and when i went to grab them, my hand came up soaked again. It's pretty frustrating but i think it happens to everyone whether they realize it or not
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
i been using a leaf blower for years and years....every neighbor ive had since thinks and looks at me like im tarded!.....lol
lol same here i love the people who pass by and give you the wtf are you doing look.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Earlier this year, my glasses fell in between the seat and tunnel and when i went to grab them, my hand came up soaked again.
That's the thing. My carpet isn't wet at all. the water is all underneath on the bare floor and padding which is why I'm thinking it's the little stream that runs down off the hatch by the rear speakers when you open hatch after washing.

SO I guess I need to invest in a leaf blower. Kinda weird, since the only trees near us are fir trees
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

mine was doing that also. No water coming in from the hatch at all, but under the rear seats was soaked. Here's what Happened:
My car was lowered and then I brought it up to stock height and then lowered it again. Apparently, this loosened up the bolts on the shocks just enough to let water in. It turns out that while I drove in the rain, water was riding up the rear shocks and under the rubber seal under the bolt that holds them to the car under the carpet. I tightened the bolts on the shocks with the new ride height set and not only did it stop the water, but it quieted down the rear a little bit too.
So my advice, is to tighten those bolts first and go from there. If you follow the water trail, it will probably start on those white pads on top of the shocks and follow down to the seat buckets... which sucks ***.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Leaf blower FTW!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 1953
That's the thing. My carpet isn't wet at all. the water is all underneath on the bare floor and padding which is why I'm thinking it's the little stream that runs down off the hatch by the rear speakers when you open hatch after washing.

SO I guess I need to invest in a leaf blower. Kinda weird, since the only trees near us are fir trees
Is the car ttops? My passenger ttop on the one car will let water in and it runs down behind the sail panel to the floor.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh yes.. I hate this problem.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Is the car ttops? My passenger ttop on the one car will let water in and it runs down behind the sail panel to the floor.
I'd NEVER had leak problems until just last week when I washed my '02 Firebird. It seemed to be leaking at the rear passenger corner. I'm gonna pull the weather stripping and apply some silicone in that area before putting it back together. I think I saw it because I was parked at a angle with the driver side low and so the water dripped to the inside of the plastic instead of running behind it.

To the OP: Check your body seams in the rain-well of the hatch (body side). There was a TSB about how that glue doesn't seal the whole gap all the way to the end. So it could leak from where that weather stripping clips on. That space between the bottom of the window and hatch I filled with clear silicone and I no longer hold water there and it's FaR easier to dry up with a towel. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for all the ideas.

HA! Rear shocks...who would have thought?? Yes I changed out the factory shocks a few years ago, and as we speak I'm finally changing the springs, so I'll definitely check that as a possible source.

And thanks for the info about the hatch seal glue issue.

I still plan to sit inside with the panels/carpet off while my wife hoses it down.

But not while it's on jack stands in the garage...
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Captain Double Post

I use a leaf blower,and a air hose lol,use to get the same kinds of looks.I moved walked out one day and the guy across the street,and one that lives right next to me were using one
Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

great info here guys, the shock one especially interesting to me, going to check into that. please do post up what you find OP.

Quick Reply: Warning: rear hatch water run-off when washing car