Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hella 90mm projectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hella 90mm projectors

Hey. I've been wanting to convert my stock headlights on my 94 z28 to 90mm projectors. I've done my research and decided not to go with HID. I will post a few links that I have looked at and i was just wondering if you guys know of any place that sells good quality cheap projectors

also if any one knows if i need to install a ballast with it or if i could just hook it up to my stock wiring harness

Low-Beam: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=128
High-Beam: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=127

Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

1) Why would you need a ballast if you are not using HIDs...
2) Why are you not using HIDs if you are taking the time/money to install projectors...
Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
1) Why would you need a ballast if you are not using HIDs...
Ballast is not needed with Halogen bulbs unsless he is talking about the CATZ Zeta system which increases voltage to the bulbs to around 15V+. This will increase the output (and heat) of Halogen bulbs, but it will also shorten their lifespan noticeably. From what I've seen, H9 bulbs don't like the extra voltage and their lifespan is shortened more than other bulbs.

Originally Posted by ZexGX
2) Why are you not using HIDs if you are taking the time/money to install projectors...
The Hella 90mm projectors are available in H7, H9, and D2S. Even if he gets the H9 version (like I did), he will still have better output than the stock headlights and remain 100% legal since these are DOT Halogen projectors. H9 is the brightest normal-wattage Halogen bulb you can get. 2100 lumen, 12V, 65 watt

Check out the Lighting FAQ for more info on Projectors and HID (including a couple installs using the Hella 90mm and others).
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
Ballast is not needed with Halogen bulbs unsless he is talking about the CATZ Zeta system which increases voltage to the bulbs to around 15V+. This will increase the output (and heat) of Halogen bulbs, but it will also shorten their lifespan noticeably. From what I've seen, H9 bulbs don't like the extra voltage and their lifespan is shortened more than other bulbs.
I don't know anybody who runs the Zeta system on their street cars. Not to say that nobody does, though. I'm sure somebody out there does intentionally or otherwise... You can get the same results and (often times) more reliability out of a properly focused HID system than an overdriven halogen H9 bulb (as you know).

The Hella 90mm projectors are available in H7, H9, and D2S. Even if he gets the H9 version (like I did), he will still have better output than the stock headlights and remain 100% legal since these are DOT Halogen projectors. H9 is the brightest normal-wattage Halogen bulb you can get. 2100 lumen, 12V, 65 watt
Yes, I agree, although for something like HIDs in true projector housings I personally don't see the need for trying to stay fully legal by not using HIDs. The cutoff is the major safety concern with using HID bulbs in Halogen housings. Focus of the light is secondary to safety, and I doubt the law enforcement officer cares about the focus of the output more than its overall color (the main reason people buy HIDs) or the safety aspect (the reason cops will give illegal headlight tickets)...

Check out the Lighting FAQ for more info on Projectors and HID (including a couple installs using the Hella 90mm and others).
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Couldn't agree more. Very helpful info there. ^
Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I know what you mean on the grey area of retrofitting OEM or aftermarket HID projectors in a car that originally came with Halogen reflectors. What I mean by that is real HID projectors and not Halogen Projectors with an HID kit (which depending on the projector can come out well).

Although technically illegal to install HID on any vehicle that didn't come with it from the factory, if done properly and neatly with real HID projectors and aimed properly, the result will be improved lighting that is still safe.

I was just adding that maybe he wanted the Halogen Hella 90mm projectors so he could stay 100% legal or maybe he prefers the color of Halogen. Also, little known fact, Halogen has a better CRI (Color Rendition Index), which roughly translates to better looking colors and contrast, although since its not as bright as HID, the argument is a bit of a wash. However, if they were compared at the same brightness level, you may see better with Halogen.

Currently, the Hella 90mm is the easiest to work with in an open environment like on the 1993-1997 Camaro and 1998-2002 Firebird. However, with some more fabrication, better OEM and aftermarket HID projectors can be installed such as FX or Morimoto Mini projectors (among others). Given the tight space available, the morimoto mini would be a better fit. However, since both are bare brojectors, you'll have to build some sort of housing to contain them and protect them from the weather.

Last edited by VIP1; 04-01-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou both. sorry this took so long, I was a little busy.

I bought the projectors an I am currently installing. I will post pictures soon!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Sorry if I missed it, but did you finish this project and post pics in another thread? If so, I'd like to add it to the Lighting FAQ.

Quick Reply: hella 90mm projectors