Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID Expert needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Expert needed

Im getting ready to install a set of OEM HID projectors into a set of ebay projector headlights for my car. After trolling this forum, as well as HID Planet, I cant seem to find an answer. Do I need to cover the space between the lense and the projector bowl or is it not nessecary because the shroud will prevent the light escape? Also, by not covering this space, will it effect light output?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What do you mean exactly? A pic would help.

Is your projector a more "open" design in that the lens holder is just a thin frame which leaves plenty of open space around it and the bowl? Or are you talking about the space inside the projector?

This is the "open-nes" I'm talking about:

See how open the projector is around the lens and the frame that holds it? Is that what you are talking about?

Here is the thread I got that picture from which also have info on making a shroud for it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...firebirds.html

If you are putting a shroud on the projector, that should should be sufficient in controlling any stray light. However, if you are putting projectors like these into an open reflector housing, then you should cover those openings so stray light doesn't "leak" out and get reflected out on the original housing that you are installing these projectors into.

Here is a pic from that thread showing the shroud he made:

Does your shroud cover those openings?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Yes, that first picture is exactly what im talking about. Im using Valeo d2s hid projectors out of a b5 audi. Im installing them into ebay halogen projector headlights. There is a shroud that is covering the projectors in the ebay headlights currently that im looking to reuse. I was curious if that "open-ness" that the HID projector has, is going to effect light output
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Well, the answer is "it depends". You'll have to see for yourself how much light leakage there is and how it affects the beam pattern (ex: scatter around/above cut-off). It probably will be fine in your case since you are replacing one projector with another, but it is something to check. You might be able to use the original shrouds or not.

Also, often the projectors in cheap ebay housings is molded in and you'll have to cut it out. Although you might get lucky and the one you get might just be screwed/bolted in.

Please post pics when its done. What car is this for and which housings are you modifying?

BTW, why Valeo projectors? Were they cheap or the right size for the housing? They are ok, but there are better options (although most are larger).
Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I am doing this to a '02 black z/28. The headlight is a dual halo/LED R8 style. I installed them with a 5000k HID kit, and the cutoff on the projectors is beyond atrocious. I am so paranoid driving at night, I try to avoid it at all costs. So, to fix the cutoff problem, Id have to open the headlight anyway, so i figured i might as well do it correctly and be done with it.
Ill probably wrap the projector in aluminium tape just to be safe. I am aware that ill probably have to cut out the old projector, but from what I read, it really shouldnt be that hard with some time and patience. I chose the Valeo because ive read it is one of the smallest, with the E46 coming in a close second, and most likely to fit into the ebay projector housing with little modding of the headlight. The Valeo projector also has excellent color at the cutoff. There are certainly much better projectors out there like you stated, but even this smaller projector is going to be a big step up from my stock halogen lights. Ill gladly post pics when I finally get this project underway.
Thanks again
Old 04-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us posted please with pictures.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

OK, sounds good. Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: HID Expert needed