Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Paint bubbling on roof of car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 04:24 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Paint bubbling on roof of car...

Wss it done by the selling dealer?
Old 09-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm sorry for everyone but I'm glad that others had this problem because I thought I just got a bad deal. My 00 SS is having the same problem on the roof edge right above the passanger door. I thought it was just because it's black and it gets real hot here in hawaii. I'm not under warrenty anymore though so that fix will have to come later. :-(
Old 09-20-2003, 04:46 PM

Who would be interested in aclass action law suit?
Old 09-23-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK I wasn't going to read through this entire post, so if this has already been posted then I'm sorry. First let me start by telling you that I am the bodyshop foreman at a Pontiac dealer in Houston. About three months ago, there was a technical service bulletin issued on this. The fix is to replace the roof. Now for those of you that are unfamilier with the way TSB's work, I'll give you the run down. If this is happening to your car and you are still withing factory warranty (3 years or 36k miles) then you can take the vehicle to a pontiac dealership with a body shop and they will replace the roof. If you are out of warranty then you are just screwed. You can always have the roof repainted it should only cost about $300 to have it done right. This involves stripping the paint and sealing and primering the roof before repainting. If this is happening to any of you and you live in the Houston area drop me a PM and I'll see what we can do about your situation.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you repaint it, won't it just bubble up again?

From what I've heard, the ONLY fix is a new roof.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:29 PM

WS6snake-eater, GM knew about the problem since at least 2000 and waited until April of 03 to release a TSB to avoid a recall which would have cost them $$$. GM's paint protection is 6 yrs 100,000 miles and covers corrosion.

Wouldn't this condition qualify as paint corrsion since the paint is being eaten away from underneath? I think so!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Wss it done by the selling dealer?
No it was NOT fixed at the dealer that sold it, I am the second owner and the first owner lived in another state. The body shop guy told me that he is only liable to cover it for 50,000 miles (or 5 years I think) and after that it is up to the GM rep that comes around every 2 weeks to decide, well he decided in my favor.

This all could be BS but thats what I was told and I got it fixed so I am happy.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately it is not covered under the corrosion protection part of the warranty. In order for something to be covered under corrosion warranty, there has to be an appearance of rust. but, since the roof is made from a composit material (fiberglass resin) it will never rust. To answer the guys question, about painting over it and having it come back again;
Yes it will come back if you just paint over it. However, if done correctly, (stripping, primering and re-sealing) it won't come back. This condition was caused by the crappy primer that GM used on the roofs. The primer did not take to the roofs well. The material that the roofs are made from is a polymer. Polymers containg solvents, and oils. Paints and oils don't mix. There are special types of primers and paints that will adhere to the surface of the roofs. So I state again, if done correctly, no the condition will not happen again. The key is in the removal of all the old primer before repainting. Trust me we have done many. The reason GM introduced the fix of replacing the roof, is because they were still seeing the problems in roofs that were being repainted, by lazy *** painters. I do agree with the "too little, too late" attitude though.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

And for those of you that don't have the roof bubbles yet...

Take you cars OUT of the garage, Park them in the DIRECT sun for a day and let the roof get REAL hot...

Just like magic, Now your *** has the roof bubbles!

(Anyone attempting this 'Roof Bubble Mod' should do this BEFORE the factory warranty expires. Direct sunlight for an extended period of time WILL generate enough HEAT to give you the bubbles. Keeping your car in a garage 6 days a week will NOT...)

**** on GM quality assurance... They lost me as a future customer!

Old 09-27-2003, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

So, I finally got tired of just being pissed off about it and decided to take the Camaro (with Roof Bubble Mod) back to the dealer to see what they would say...

Bill Heard Chevrolet, Collierville Tennessee.....

Fortunately for me, This dealer has a COMPLETE service facility right there. Body Shop, Paint Dept. (with some really nice spray booths!) All right there on one lot!

This means that my car does NOT have to be driven all over town while the dealer 'subs-out' the work he is not set up to do. (Some shops do not have paint facilities and there is no telling where your car could end up being painted at)

The Service Advisor that spoke to me was very polite. She checked my odometer (14k miles), asked me if I purchased the car there, and looked at my roof. After about 10sec. worth of looking at my roof, she said: "Ohhh Yeah, You got a problem. It looks like all of this is about to go..."
She left for about 5 min. to talk to the shop manager then came back and said: "How about October 18th we get you fixed up?" No Problems - No Fussing - No trying to weasle out of it... Damn, Maybe this dealer is not so bad...

I spoke to her about REPLACING the roof vs. repainting it.
I do NOT want these bubbles coming back, so she will be referring to the TSB that was issued on this and is supposed to call me and let me know when my appointment to have it repaired is...
I like this whole "appointment" thing. This means that my car does not have to sit around on a lot waiting for parts to come in...

As soon as the work on my car is completed, I will update this thread with the results. So far, everything seems like it is going good. I will let you guys know how it turned out. Quality Work, and Service AFTER the sale is what makes customers come back... I guess I will find out!

And if you think that was easy, How about this...
The dealer (Bill Heard) was having a 2003 model clearance sale. They sent me a solicitation in the mail that said if I just came up there to look around they would give me 5 one dollar gold coins. So, Even though I came up there inquiring about warranty work, When I left for the day I left with the assurance that my car would be fixed properly and my son had 5 one dollar gold coins in his pocket (and I was NOT pressured to buy anything...)
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Default :cheers:

Use PPG primer, paint, and clear coat. (Harley Davidson uses PPG primer, paint, and clear coat.) And I have seen cars bubbling, but not after this paint job.
PS: Don't bake the primer, paint, or clear coat. Let it cure/dry for @ least 5 days.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy old thread batman..
Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fdelucey
Use PPG primer, paint, and clear coat. (Harley Davidson uses PPG primer, paint, and clear coat.) And I have seen cars bubbling, but not after this paint job.
PS: Don't bake the primer, paint, or clear coat. Let it cure/dry for @ least 5 days.
not horrible advice, but five years too late..

Quick Reply: Paint bubbling on roof of car...