Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Making Pewter Shine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Shouldn't need to treat any color different from another - wash, clay, polish, seal/wax.

It's not GM pewter, but still pewter:
That color looks significantly richer and darker than the GM pewter. Looks awesome, but for some reason these "Light Pewter Metallics" behave differently than the standard or darker pewters when it comes to noticing a big difference. Atleast thats my take on it.

The right product might add some depth on this pewter but to get that super wet deep look on this GM paint (like in your picture) I find it challenging. I might take a rotary to my car at some point for a final jeweling process and then try a few spots testing different product to see if I can notice anything tangible, but from what I have seen even after a full correction and product A, B, C, D, etc its still tough to make it look like as rich and deep as most other colors.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was given a bottle of Farecla wax polish and its amazing how it makes my pewter car look. I dont have any idea where you can buy it though. But after washing the car you wipe this stuff on and wipe it off and it made the paint shiny and all the metal flake popped out big time. Honestly I think the stuff made the care look nicer than a detail job did.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6
Nice you're in Exton? I live in Glenmoore. Have you been going to any shows or plan on going to any?
Haven't been any to yet this year besides Street Wars at Stockton College. I've been meaning to go to more but my work schedule has been screwing me over. Had to miss OC and TriState Tuners.

Originally Posted by lemons12
Saying white is hard to keep clean is a joke. Black is the hardest by far. The darker the color the more it shows so why would white be hard to keep clean? If you think white is hard to keep clean you have never owned a black and a white car... Night and day difference.

White is up on the list for one of the easiest. Red is also somewhat easy.

I usually clay bar/wax mine ab once every two months. Mine never looks dirty...??? If the paint is nice enough it should have a nice deep wet look to it, not dirty.
I suppose it depends on where you live as well.

Up here (back home in Jersey for me), I live in the Pine Barrens.... A **** ton of pollen this time of year. Regardless of White/Black/Red/Blue/Green... They ALL will show pollen. A white car will become a near grass green. But I also have a lot of sand/dirt in my area, so it would appear more prevalent on a white car than a black.

By the way, that made me just realize when I went home a few weeks back my Black T/A was covered in pollen and my Pewter Camaro only showed it on the windshield.

I have owned a black car before and it actually wasn't too bad to keep clean. I took it through sand/dirt and it only got a mere bit dusty and barely noticable.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do what this guy did...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

the car will look more gold when its dusty, but silver/pewter are super easy
Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Mine always looks clean even when it's dirty..... Guess I'm going blind.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with the amount of flake that's in pewter it's very difficult to create depth. I'm with Danno best to go for the wet look. As with any paint removing minor scratches and swirls first. Then find a good sealer/wax. Then find a polish/glaze that you can layer/add multiple coats. It's a lot of work but the pay off is worth it.

Look at the Blackfire Line. They have a system called Blackfire Wet-Ice Over Fire Reference Shine. It's purpose is to create the wet look, it aint cheap but anything worth having isn't when it comes to cars.lol. The final stage is a multi-day layering process to create the wet-look.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Saying white is hard to keep clean is a joke. Black is the hardest by far. The darker the color the more it shows so why would white be hard to keep clean? If you think white is hard to keep clean you have never owned a black and a white car... Night and day difference.

White is up on the list for one of the easiest. Red is also somewhat easy.

I usually clay bar/wax mine ab once every two months. Mine never looks dirty...??? If the paint is nice enough it should have a nice deep wet look to it, not dirty.
Lemons I am with you here, as I currently have the 3 colors you guys are arguing about represented in my driveway currently. I have a black 98 SS that is a bitch to keep clean because the smallest flake of dust lands on it and it is seen from 50 ft. away. I own a 95 Grand Cherokee and it is White, but it has been blacked out. The vinyl plastics have been rhino lined and painted semi-gloss black. Now that semi-gloss black does hide dirt better than anything, because when you look at the white paint on my jeep after its been off road you couldn't tell by looking at the rhino liner, now if it was gloss black rhino liner it would be easy to tell. In certain situations the white does "hide" the dirt, but it's hardest to clean as far as washing it right then because you can think you have gotten all the dirt off, but once you hit a certain angle you can see it, thus why I said at certain angles white does hide dirt. Now for the pewter example I have a 02 S-10 that is my DD and it is pewter. It really hides dirt great. I mean I never wash the truck and the only way you can tell I never wash it, is because off the insides and the dirty brake dust laden wheels.

Pewter is a very forgiving color, but saying white and black are easy to keep clean is furthest from the possible truth as can be.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redracer1
I agree with the amount of flake that's in pewter it's very difficult to create depth. I'm with Danno best to go for the wet look. As with any paint removing minor scratches and swirls first. Then find a good sealer/wax. Then find a polish/glaze that you can layer/add multiple coats. It's a lot of work but the pay off is worth it.

Look at the Blackfire Line. They have a system called Blackfire Wet-Ice Over Fire Reference Shine. It's purpose is to create the wet look, it aint cheap but anything worth having isn't when it comes to cars.lol. The final stage is a multi-day layering process to create the wet-look.
Black Fire Wet diamond is some great stuff too, after the precleaning stage I would start with that or menzerna power lock.

Quick Reply: Making Pewter Shine?