Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will CV Headlight Restorer work to polish VHT'd tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Will CV Headlight Restorer work to polish VHT'd tail lights?

Will this work or do I need to use 2000 grit sandpaper and polish to make my VHT'd tails shine like stock or will this work. Guy at Advanced Auto said the CV Headlight Restorer would work. Help please?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would wets sand them to get the shine back... i really have never liked the vht night shades because if you leave them unfinished (no clear) they look dull after awhile, and if you clear them with the stuff from duplicolor (i think its truck and suv clear) it fades and starts turning white after about a year... best bet if your stuck on using vht is to get a quality clear sprayed after you apply it, or, if you're going to spend that kind of money, have someone with a gun spray the tint too (all it is made of is clear and then they'd add black until it was the color they're looking for)
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I've already done the VHT, which turned out great, but when I went to spray the first coat of clear, the ******* bottle leaked out on the tail lights. After a few more coats of clear, I wet sanded the clear coat with 800 grit, which worked, but then I sprayed another coat of VHT and then a coat of clear, and now where I sanded you can tell because it's not smooth and clear like it should be. Just wondering if this stuff would work or what you would suggest I do now.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should probably remove all the clear and vht and start over
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Will this work or do I need to use 2000 grit sandpaper and polish to make my VHT'd tails shine like stock or will this work. Guy at Advanced Auto said the CV Headlight Restorer would work. Help please?
Keep in mind you have painted these tail lights. So now you have added layers to the plastic. Like the last guy said, start over, re sand and re apply and once done. Clear coat them, then keep protected.

Unless you did not tell the guy what you did then he should know better, your not polishing the plastic anymore, your polishing the layers you added and once your down to paint, there is not much you can do.

IMO.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I returned that kit and got some 2000 grit sandpaper and some turtle wax brand polishing cream. Sanded them down pretty good and polished the **** out of them and it helped some. Now they are smooth, but no where near clear or glass like. They almost appear to be kind of flat black looking. I guess I'll try sanding them some more and more polishing and see what happens.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main issue you will run into is that your hand will never get as much cut as a machine will and all too often with Plastic, it needs to be buffed out. In your case you need to re prep the surface for more VHT or get it back down to clear plastic.

Quick Reply: Will CV Headlight Restorer work to polish VHT'd tail lights?