Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LED bulbs

I did a search and didn't come up with what I'm looking for. I'm going to do LED's in my clear corners and I know the fronts are 3157/194 and the rear side markers are also 194, but what I want to know is what are quality brands and what is SMD? I don't want to go and buy these bulbs only to find out they're a little to long or they're not bright enough.

If you guys have pictures or links to what I'm looking for please post up and I know I will need a EL12 flasher right? I want to order these tomorrow so hopefully I get some replies quick. Are there any sponsors here? What about all the interior bulbs? What bulbs are in the interior & license plate because I want to swap every bulb in my car to LEDs?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-led-list.html

The SMD LED's look completely different then regular LED's. They look like a little yellow microchip and are much brighter then regular LED's. If you look in the above thread it tells you the parts numbers. The more expensive ones have multiple SMD LED's in a single bulb and the more they have the more evenly it'll disperse light. All of these bulbs can be found at www.superbrightleds.com
Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Get "tower" style LED bulbs. They look like a cylinder with LEDs all around and on top. This is to better light up the reflector on out cars.

There are a few different kinds of LED tower bulbs. Newer/brighter ones use brighter LEDs and the description often mentions a wattage rating. More LEDs = brighter and more even light.

Also for clarification, SMD = Surface Mount Device. That term is not LED-specific. It just means that the item is soldered to the surface of the board instead of having its "legs" go through holes in the board and soldered on the back.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm interesting idea. Post pics once you get it all done. I'd like to see it
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I did a search and didn't come up with what I'm looking for. I'm going to do LED's in my clear corners and I know the fronts are 3157/194 and the rear side markers are also 194, but what I want to know is what are quality brands and what is SMD? I don't want to go and buy these bulbs only to find out they're a little to long or they're not bright enough.

If you guys have pictures or links to what I'm looking for please post up and I know I will need a EL12 flasher right? I want to order these tomorrow so hopefully I get some replies quick. Are there any sponsors here? What about all the interior bulbs? What bulbs are in the interior & license plate because I want to swap every bulb in my car to LEDs?
This is Exactly What i was thinking for my next upgrade re-bulbing the entire car with LED's Interior and Exterior..

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
Hmmm interesting idea. Post pics once you get it all done. I'd like to see it

+ 2 for Pics
Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I converted my exterior and interior with SMDs. Hi powered bulbs are a must for the brake and reverse lights.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

superbrightleds suggests using the same color as the lens...so red leds for the brake/signals?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes. Use the same color LED as the lens.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ That and if you have clear corners even, still use amber or at least the switchbacks.

Quick Reply: LED bulbs