Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Calling EVERYONE With the 6LE Diffuser!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Calling EVERYONE With the 6LE Diffuser!!

i have a question... how was the build quality on it? i just got a "new" fiberglass one (bought it from someone on here who still had it wrapped in the packaging and box, he decided to sell his car) and i love 6LE for the idea and it looks sick but the build quality on mine atleast was not what i was expecting. theres parts with runs in the glass and parts with little caved in bubbles. also the lines done seem to match up very well along the lip. the pictures that i have has me pushing it and its still not lining up very well. im not trying to put down his product, im just asking how other peoples turned out. i made sure that the holes i drilled for the license plate were correctly lined up also

Bubbles and run. there are more spots but they look like this

this is all without the 3m tape (i figured it might push it out alittle but not too much)

Last edited by my bandit; 06-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In cases like this its usually best to go directly to the manufacturer before posting on here. Especially with a guy like 6LE. I've heard nothing but good things about the diffusers and everyone I saw that got one is very happy with it. If, however, it is of sub par quality, Im sure 6LE would help you out with it.

Either way, good luck.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

i was just trying to see if people had the same issues. im in no way trying to bash it or am i pissed off. im just trying to see if my case is normal or not
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

havent seen any other pics like that. could have been a prototype or somethin but id hit up mark too. i think hes out of town right now so may not see this for a while to give input
Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

it could be. im about to email him about this but its got his stamp on the inside and i know it was from him.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yours is definitely rougher than any of the ones I've seen but they are not paint ready parts. They are all out of the mold ready for PREP parts...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

understandible... i guess i misunderstood what you had put on the order page on your website. since my car is already matte black, i wasnt planing on doing any paint work to it. on the site you put
"It comes already painted in a black primer so you can install as is for that "Collector's Edition Trans-Am" look or paint it any color you desire. It is made from a flexible fiberglass so it will work perfectly with the stock bumper and also be easy to repair God forbid you are ever in an accident."
Old 06-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

^^I see how that can be misleading and just updated the page, thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

any ideas on how to fix the corners being off?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

Read though and not seeing where you're mentioning the corners... Not sure if it came with directions or not (it may not have come with them to the original buyer even, I had some issues with first run) but you need to put two screws in the bottom to hold it in flush.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Its on the top corners,its barely going over into the curve of the channel? they are the 3rd and 4th picture but I can try to get better pictures tomorrow. I was going to do the 3m tape (which kind? The guy I bought it from said he never received it) but how long will that hold. It seemed like a lot of force to push it into the right place.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Mine was much worse.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

what did you do to fix it?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you now that you're gonna have to get creative with your screw placement while trying to get that thing attached. 3M tape is not gonna hold the corners down.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure that there is any aftermarket fiberglass body component, that I have ever seen, that comes perfectly ready for paint, there is always body work involved when it comes to aftermarket fiberglass, or and aftermarket body component for that matter.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I'm not sure that there is any aftermarket fiberglass body component, that I have ever seen, that comes perfectly ready for paint, there is always body work involved when it comes to aftermarket fiberglass, or and aftermarket body component for that matter.
This, plus, even if it was shaped 100% perfect the odds of every bumper being 100% perfect is next to nothing. So, you have a 95% perfectly shape piece, and a 95% perfectly shaped bumper... yeah, odds are very slim that both pieces will match perfectly curve for curve and will take some massaging to get just right.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
that was my first thought until i read off the website what i had quoted earlier in the thread. he fixed it on the site so nobody else has the same thought i did

Originally Posted by carlos64030
I can tell you now that you're gonna have to get creative with your screw placement while trying to get that thing attached. 3M tape is not gonna hold the corners down.
i was thinking maybe 4 across the bottom and another behind the license plate itself. im also thinking about sanding the **** outta the backside of it to get it completely smooth so it had a chance of fitting better
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

When I first got my diffuser it didn't completely conform to the bumper at first so I used clear packaging tape to temporarily hold it in place for a couple of days in warm weather. Also I didn't need an extra pair of hands. I used that same clear packaging tape on both side ends of the diffuser to tightly secure the diffuser to the rear bumper while I tap and drill the necessary holes underneath. My suggestion on the heavy duty 3M tape is to apply it all around the perimeter / edges of the diffuser preferably in warm / hot conditions or use a heat gun.

Last edited by gm02ceta; 06-19-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by my bandit
what did you do to fix it?
Nothing, having it installed at the body shop when the rest of it gets painted.... at this rate I'll have my sail panel in before it even goes to the shop. * grumbles*
Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by my bandit
i was thinking maybe 4 across the bottom and another behind the license plate itself. im also thinking about sanding the **** outta the backside of it to get it completely smooth so it had a chance of fitting better
You're over thinking it, trust me once it is on there in place a few days it conforms. I think they use heat to cure them faster and it bows it coming out of the mold but I've installed about 5 and all with just the factory license plate holes, 3M tape (from any auto parts store, I get mine from Staples, office supplies, in a big roll. It is the red industrial strength kind) and two sell tapping screws (per side) on the very bottom of the diffuser blades (the OUTER most ones).

Even the CF ones conform to the bumper after a couple days in the sun and they are more stiff... I have noticed QUITE A DIFFERENCE from bumper to bumper as well, I'm pretty sure the exhaust warps them a little...

Quick Reply: Calling EVERYONE With the 6LE Diffuser!!