Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Too much black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much black?

I'm planning to do some cosmetic work on my '02 Camaro and in planning it out, I'm afraid it will be overkill on the black. The car is of course black, and already has smoked front corner markers. I'm planning to do the Whistler Mod to the headlights, and I was considering giving the tails some VHT treatment. Would that be too much black across the back of the car? I thought about maybe just darkening the rear lights and bumper markers but not going completely blacked out, but not sure how that would turn out. I think one thing throwing me off is the amber in the taillights, and how they would look just being darkened or blacked out, maybe I should trade out for 93-96 tails?

Another idea I thought about throwing in the mix would be the 35th anniversary stripes in silver. I think they provide a little contrast without making the car look too busy, as I want the car to flow nicely from one end to the other.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any properly rendered design needs 3 colors, two main colors and a lesser color, like with yours, id go black body color, chrome rims and the silver 35th stripes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

I would do black wheels, chrome emblems, SS hood with red manta, red calipers,
Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by groundZ-28ERO
any properly rendered design needs 3 colors
...fail

here start with this....

and contemplate on doing a satin black berger, CME, and third brake light...

andddd this...

w/ the whistler mod in satin black, slp grilll, and 6LE splitter bumper

or

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Launching!

I believe I already have the SLP grille, with the bowtie emblem. Picked up an SS spoiler as well. I was wondering if they did the stripes in flat black, that looks sick. I don't know about black wheels however, I don't want it to be "murdered out". I was thinking maybe titanium finish CCW Classics, or some Forgestar F14's. The wheels are still up in the air for sure. Would probably set off nicely with some polished emblems? Not big on red accents, feels like every black car gets paired up with red.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

any properly rendered design needs 3 colors, two main colors and a lesser color, like with yours, id go black body color, chrome rims and the silver 35th stripes
+1 on that.
All black is never nice IMO, specially at night. Def. overkill.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with ALL black imo. If I had a black Camaro, best believe I'm blacking out the ENTIRE thing.

Those pics of that black camaro with flat black stripes Trans Am Jam posted looks freakin' BOSS and I'm not a fan of stripes but that thing looks insane.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Black works if done right. I liked TA Jam's picks. Sometimes "murdered" out gets played out. Rims will be a major factor.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

black out the whole body, and get chrome 5 spoke wheels if your worried about the inevitable played out look.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ya chrome wheels would just be pure destruction.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Trans Am Jam........you have a bad *** car my friend. What wheels do you have???
Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Yeah the more I look the more I'm liking those stripes. Almost a ghost stripe that will require a double take. Where can I find those online? And would they work on a Sunoco hood, or only on the SS hood?

The car is currently sitting on Chrome DD C5's, I've considered a polished high end wheel as well. Classics are becoming fairly played out, but on the other hand I haven't seen an F-body in my area with them on. I love the titanium finish centers, but with the car all black I don't think those would work, it would have to be a fully polished or brushed finish wheel.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

I like this answer. My favorite color combos tend to be white or silver with a lot of black trim and then that little splash of red.

As for all black, yeah there can be too much. I've seen decked out black cars, with tinted windows, blacked out lights, black wheels, black everything. It's too much for me... But if you're talking about adding the Whistler mod, I don't think that would be bad since it's not a total black out. You'd still have the silver/white of the headlamps themselves to contrast with the black of the car, I think that would look ok. I just say be careful with going 'all' black, but that's my taste...

oh, and I do like the satin black against the black paint. Even though it's all black, it does give some contrast and looks pretty good...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

I'd take polished over chrome any day. Just gotta be willing to maintain the finish.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
I like this answer. My favorite color combos tend to be white or silver with a lot of black trim and then that little splash of red.

As for all black, yeah there can be too much. I've seen decked out black cars, with tinted windows, blacked out lights, black wheels, black everything. It's too much for me... But if you're talking about adding the Whistler mod, I don't think that would be bad since it's not a total black out. You'd still have the silver/white of the headlamps themselves to contrast with the black of the car, I think that would look ok. I just say be careful with going 'all' black, but that's my taste...

oh, and I do like the satin black against the black paint. Even though it's all black, it does give some contrast and looks pretty good...
Agreed. My concern is more with the taillights, going total black with VHT, otherwise I don't know what else to do with them. I feel being tri-color themselves with black everywhere else, they will seem out of place if I left them be, or just tinted them.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

This just me but my car is ALL black now and i hate the way it looks. You need another color to break it up some.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Leave tails red, my suggestion would be LT1 tails. Red inlay for rear Camaro, red calipers, whatever wheels you want. I have a triple black Camaro and that's what I have, minus the calipers but that will be happening at some point.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

there is nothing wrong with all black. my car is completely satin black, planning PCing my FM10s either all black or black/polished lip. right now im on black/polished ruff 278's. my corners are black, tails (minus reverse lights) and my drls are VHT'd

Old 06-22-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's hot what kind of lights are those I would love to have that color lights and matching fog lamps I would just like to keep my stock lights and just have the bulbs if I can do this will the heat from the bulbs melt my head lights or fog lamps
Old 06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

The black out look is a love hate thing. Some people love it others cant stand it. But regardless of personal opinions IF its done right it will look clean

Quick Reply: Too much black?