Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Filled, shaved and powder coated LS1 calipers and brackets, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad *** work Silverghost... subscribing for contact details... will have work for you soon! I am not really familiar with powdercoating, can you do any paint color or are the colors different from paint codes?...... also, you do exchanges.. so I send you $$$--you send me new painted calipers--- when I recieve them, I send you mine...? is that correct?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats correct on how the exchange program works

We decided to try X's idea for the rears with a set here that's earmarked for my Camaro. Welded up the whole under area and then made it round to match the fronts. Lot of work an would add an additional $50 on top of the $125 but it's pimp and a cool idea.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pondering....

Could you polish the brake calipers once you TIG them in?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

wicked pissah!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks awesome!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
We decided to try X's idea for the rears with a set here that's earmarked for my Camaro. Welded up the whole under area and then made it round to match the fronts. Lot of work an would add an additional $50 on top of the $125 but it's pimp and a cool idea.
Really cool! How much for just the rears and what is the turn around time?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Thats correct on how the exchange program works

ROCK ON! . . . That looks sweet! . . . Thank you for experimenting!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
Pondering....

Could you polish the brake calipers once you TIG them in?
Yup. The fill is aluminum so it does polish up just as well as the casting does. We could polish after fill and shave, no problem.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Really cool! How much for just the rears and what is the turn around time?
It would cost $100 to fill, shave, and make them round as seen above. Coating would be additional if desired. We could do rears, and also fronts too in a couple days.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

This looks amazing. If I wasn't young and broke, I'd love to do this to my car. I've been trying to decide if I should paint them myself or not but I'd rather have them powdercoated instead of doing a half-assed job. Amazing work!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man,
Those rears look nice shaved and rounded like that! What kind of exchange program can we work out? hahaha!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much price decrease would there be if I ground the calipers/brackets smooth myself? It took me 20 minutes with a dremel I was surprised how easy it came off. What is included in the GM rebuild just the boots and tin shield things?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

I just got done installing a set of black powder coated calipers from this guy. He does awesome work as the finish is mirror like. When you recieve the calipers they are very well wrapped to protect them during shipment. Once the new ones are on, you just send back your stockers and your all set.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfury05
How much price decrease would there be if I ground the calipers/brackets smooth myself? It took me 20 minutes with a dremel I was surprised how easy it came off. What is included in the GM rebuild just the boots and tin shield things?
I believe the kit comes with seals for the pistons along with the dust boots. The kit isn't to expensive itself, its just time consuming swapping everything out.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaVagE
I believe the kit comes with seals for the pistons along with the dust boots. The kit isn't to expensive itself, its just time consuming swapping everything out.
Yea the rebuild kits are cheap at $7 per kit. You need 2 kits per caliper for the fronts and 1 kit per caliper for the rear. So at most $40ish. Just wondered if it included the tin shield things for the extra $60...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice!!! I smoothed mine, but never thought about filling them in. Good work!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The black Trans Am calipers are mine. Sean and team do an EXCELLENT job and are great guys to deal with! I will not hesitate to give them a ring anytime anything needs powdercoated! They also did my TB and one of these days I'm gonna have my maf ends done. Top notch work!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Teching In

with the smoothed and rounded rear calipers, could the "trans am" (or camaro) logo be added to match the fronts seeing as how the rounding adds more area for the decals to be placed?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

DAMN those look good. I painted my calipers a metallic orange last year. Very similar to SOM, but not exact. I didn't even clearcoat them, and have always wanted to redo them better, or have them powdercoated.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Motorboater

Sorry guys, I lost track of this thread, we've been pretty busy lately.

First of all, thank you for the props, we really appreciate it

DJfury--not much of a decrease. As you noted, it doesn't take much time to remove the lettering,etc. The time and materials that go into welding and shaping is really almost the entire cost of the job. Quite a bit of filler and gas runs through the TIG to do this.

As for the questions on the rebuild kits. I have no idea what does or doesn't come with the ones you buy from parts stores. The ones I get are genuine GM from my GM rep. I get a steep discount on them and don't mark them up, its just something we offer for those that want it.
Fronts come with new piston seals, new dust boots, new guide pin bolts
Rears come with new piston seal, new dust boot, new guide pin bolts, and new guide pin dust covers/grease boots. Not sure why GM doesn't put new pin boots in the front kits but they don't. The rears cost more than the fronts so buying 6 rear kits instead of 4 fronts and 2 rears like I do now would raise the cost a good bit for no real good reason. I've almost never seen a torn or bad grease boot, its always the piston boots that get torn and the seals that get soggy. The guide pin bolts can go bad over time also from heat and elements. Obviously if they were to snap, you would find yourself with a caliper dangling by the brake line and no brakes on that corner, its nice to replace them.

Ballerdo--I would imagine something would fit there on the rears now, yes..

Quick Reply: Filled, shaved and powder coated LS1 calipers and brackets, pics inside