Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl Mark Annoyances.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
MUCH better. I wasn't saying you didn't know what you were doing, but just making sure he was getting all the information correctly possible.
I didn't take it personal just wanted to show the op that it could be done.
The best thing about Zaino is that it builds on what you have already applied.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If he had not said this alreayd, I sure would be.

What your noticing is something that was already there, you need to train your eyes to see imprefections. The only issue with that is seeing imprefections everywhere. 98% of all street driven vehicles have some level of swirling, hell even garage queen cars never driven have them from the factory.

You need to clean the surface, remove contaminants, and then level the surface. From there adding layers of protection as well as correct washing habits will help avoid re swirling of your car.

Best system ever.

Print this and post near the car so you can reference this.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=37320

Thanks for the link, I read through that, good stuff, might try out that Swirl X stuff.

But those five steps are exactly what I have been working towards with this car the entire time. Obviously something I'm doing is flawed though because I'm not getting any results and I'm trying to figure out what it is which is why this thread exists.

Also, I noticed another thing today while I had it out, the swirls have formed themselves into the same pattern that I followed when I applied the last coat of wax on the car. So, maybe it's potentially something that I could be doing wrong? Wasn't ever any swirls like that until this recent wash, keep in mind.

Originally Posted by SS LeadFoot
Try Zaino Z-5 and Z-PC you can apply both by hand. Ive never had to use a buffer or pay someone to do it and Ive had the car since 02
Yeah, Zaino is good stuff from what I've read, I'll for sure check out the two products you suggested. Also, there is a slight difference I'm sure between the way my car's paint has been treated over the years versus yours

My car's paint has not been properly maintained over the years, probably hasn't had a coat of wax on it since it was brand new. It's not in too bad of shape, but man, it needs some work. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and try to use a porter cable on it, after researching, that sounds like the next best step.

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
While that is a nice reflection shot, it's not really showing anything as far as correction which is what he is looking for. You can remove swirls and marring by hand but it is going to take a long time and a lot of muscle. To show true correction you need to take either a direct sunlight picture or use artificial lighting such as a sun gun or halogens. Not trying to be a dick, just pointing it out.

Zaino is good stuff, but again it's not really a good shot to show when it's not a dead on picture in direct light. The bumper looks good from what little we can see and the small 'sun' shown in the reflection though.
Well, I'm not really aiming for perfect show car quality paint. A 100% perfect swirl free car is really not what I'm looking for. This car is my daily driver, I start college in August, and it will be sitting outside 24/7 in the elements again soon. I'm just trying to truly get it to it's full potential without doing anything super major to it before all of that happens, then figure out a method to maintain it. Like I said, i've been trying to do it since I've had the car, but something I'm doing is flawed because I'm not getting any real results.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to get a polishing machine, Porter Cable make a good one. Then you need to get the correct pads and polish. It will cost you 300.00 or so. You need to use the pads and polish to get out the swirls. This will remove a small amount of paint and with it the swirls. Then you need to use a good wax. Lots of places have them. You will not get what you want until you do that.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Well, I'm not really aiming for perfect show car quality paint. A 100% perfect swirl free car is really not what I'm looking for. This car is my daily driver, I start college in August, and it will be sitting outside 24/7 in the elements again soon. I'm just trying to truly get it to it's full potential without doing anything super major to it before all of that happens, then figure out a method to maintain it. Like I said, i've been trying to do it since I've had the car, but something I'm doing is flawed because I'm not getting any real results.
As some have mentioned previously. Make sure your wash and dry process is not adding to your problem. Based on your basic explanation, I bet it is.

Correcting by hand is difficult. If you don't have the machine necessary to do the correction yourself, you might be better served to go have it professionally done, by someone that knows what they are doing, then you can just maintain it, using the proper 2 bucket wash method, and blotting, blowing it dry, clay barring when needed and waxing as needed.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, that about does it then, I appreciate all the input from everyone. I have my answer. Going to go ahead and invest in a porter cable here in the next week or two, that seems like my best bet right now. Now the next thing is to do some research and find the proper compounds to use. But, that's for another thread and another time.

Thanks again though guys. Everyone's help was much appreciated.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my correction this is the process I used:
Wash with dawn
Alchohol wipe down
Clay Bar
Wash again
Dry with shop vac
Megs 105/205 with PC
Wash all the **** off again
Sealant
Wax
All that = Shining like a diamond in a goats ***.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
When I did my correction this is the process I used:
Wash with dawn
Alchohol wipe down
Clay Bar
Wash again
Dry with shop vac
Megs 105/205 with PC
Wash all the **** off again
Sealant
Wax
All that = Shining like a diamond in a goats ***.
Just a FYI, Meguiars in that like express that they do NOT recommend using Dawn, nor Alchohol wipe down as their products do not require it and dawn can damage.

Your Correction (i.e. Compound/Polish) step will remove old layers of protection so kinda un needed. I see the Alky wipe down alot and to each their own but if done right, its not needed. If anything else to be honest, before putting on the wax/sealant layer IF I WOULD USE ALKY would be at that point, not before hand.

This is in my opinion of course.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

*My car's paint has not been properly maintained over the years,
*probably hasn't had a coat of wax on it since it was brand new.
It's not in too bad of shape....,
but man, it needs some work.

Whenever someone calls me for an estimate on their car and tells me this..."Its not in bad shape." ....Typically means the car has been really neglected and IS in bad shape, but the owner is well-intentioned.

Those above statements are contradictory to "not bad shape".

Last edited by GoFast908Z; 07-03-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelled "their" wrong. whoops
Old 07-02-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Just a FYI, Meguiars in that like express that they do NOT recommend using Dawn, nor Alchohol wipe down as their products do not require it and dawn can damage.

Your Correction (i.e. Compound/Polish) step will remove old layers of protection so kinda un needed. I see the Alky wipe down alot and to each their own but if done right, its not needed. If anything else to be honest, before putting on the wax/sealant layer IF I WOULD USE ALKY would be at that point, not before hand.

This is in my opinion of course.

If your finishing polish is M205, you will need an IPA wipedown before applying sealant/wax. 205 has a lot of oils that will interfere with the bonding process.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Whenever someone calls me for an estimate on there car and tells me this..."Its not in bad shape." ....Typically means the car has been really neglected and IS in bad shape, but the owner is well-intentioned.

Truer words have never been typed on this forum.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Whenever someone calls me for an estimate on there car and tells me this..."Its not in bad shape." ....Typically means the car has been really neglected and IS in bad shape, but the owner is well-intentioned.

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Truer words have never been typed on this forum.
Ouch, got me there... honestly though, it could be much worse. The average person looks at it and compliments me on how clean it is. But the trained eye can see it has a few imperfections in it and the swirls are very evident at certain angles, but I have to say it does clean up alright. It is by no means in "Perfect shape", but like I said, it's really not in BAD shape. Just needs some TLC to get it where you can actually look at it from all angles at anytime of the day and say "Man, this thing looks awesome".
Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOSS Boss
Check out autogeek.net it looks like they know what they're doing.
I bought this

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html

and did my 87 TA over the weekend...it worked great
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Ouch, got me there... honestly though, it could be much worse. The average person looks at it and compliments me on how clean it is. But the trained eye can see it has a few imperfections in it and the swirls are very evident at certain angles, but I have to say it does clean up alright. It is by no means in "Perfect shape", but like I said, it's really not in BAD shape. Just needs some TLC to get it where you can actually look at it from all angles at anytime of the day and say "Man, this thing looks awesome".

Yeah my car cleaned up pretty good when I just washed and waxed it. I could tell it needed some major TLC with all of the scratches and swirls in it, but it still looked good all cleaned up. The doors looked like I drove through a damn brush pile. I knew it was in need of some help but I didnt know it was that bad. After the 8 hr correction the car looks TOTALLY different and it looks like its wet. I'll prolly do a correction once a year on it now maybe twice if I feel like it. Its alot of work to get it done right. I still need to do some more on my front fenders.

Originally Posted by mrrman
I bought this

Thats the same kit I bought and I couldnt be more happier with the results and Ive never buffed my car.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mrrman
I bought this

Good purchase

Quick Reply: Swirl Mark Annoyances.....