Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Bay Cleaning, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Bay Cleaning, Suggestions?

Hey Guys, I recently purchased a 98TA from a friend, who had to sell his car. The engine bay is pretty dirty, including the engine. I wanted to get this cleaned up alittle bit and am on the fence on how I am gonna get it taken care of. I was told a Detail shop will spray it out and make it look nice, but was also told it could cause issues due to the solutions they use and the pressure of the spray. Here are some pictures to show what I am referring to:

I have had a few minor issues with this car but paid MINIMAL for it, since he just wanted to liquidate his assets. Issues I had were: stripped headlight gears, A/C needed Recharging, and stuck Thermostat(Car Sat for about 4 months). All of those are taken care of but now I just want to get this thing cleaned up.. so any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get some water based cleaner such as Blast, (similar to simple green), and soak the engine bay with that. Then if you have access to a pressure washer blast off the cleaner. It should degrease it well.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks man.. Also As I know the basics but am not a big gearhead, would this work on the actual engine itself aswell? if not is there anything you can think of that would help? I took a towel and tried to wipe off around the heads/headers area and it is alot thicker than the stuff on the bay walls.. this is more of the main concern. I am just worried about the pressure and water ruining the electronics/relays and stuff.. if that makes sense.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pressured washed mine when I got it and didn't have any issue with the electronics getting wet and shorting out or anything. I'm pretty sure I kept the engine off when I did it though.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy crap that is dirty. I'd use some degreaser as suggested but I'm not so sure about the pressure washer. If it were me I would use a regular hose and I'd probably put a towel over the top of the alternator and maybe one that blocks a ton of water from going near the pcm.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple green, a soft bristle brush, and a hose. No need for a pressure washer. Just rinse from top to bottom and be very generous with the water to get all the suds off.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say you shouldn't use a hose because there's a better chance of soaking wires unless you're really careful. Otherwise just cover the PCM tarp or towel and blast the bay with a pressure washer, the worst you'll do is "mist" some wires. Let it sit in the sun for a while and you should be fine. While you have the pressure washer out do the underside of the car.

Oh and if it's still real greasy use simple green like the others said and wash that off.