Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am Seats Real Leather or Not

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took my seats apart for new padding, the backsides were white fabric just like on vinyl. Not saying other people's seats don't have leather under a coating, but I apparently wasn't that lucky.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
When I took my seats apart for new padding, the backsides were white fabric just like on vinyl. Not saying other people's seats don't have leather under a coating, but I apparently wasn't that lucky.
On the backsides off all the OEM seats on the seating surface and front sife of the bolster there is a thin foam padding sewn to the seat cover. On top of the foam is a super thin white cloth backing that gives the stitch something to grab to. This process is what forms the pleats and gives more durability. That is "likely" what you were seeing as the white interiors still used the same quanity of leather/vinyl. Or if you arent the original owner maybe they were recovered at some point. Hawks and a few others have had a white vinyl seat replacement available for years now.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The parts that come in contact with the driver are real (cheap) leather. Everything else is vinyl. Look close at it and yuocan see the difference. Thats why cars that sit in the sun have the real leather parts shrink and break the stitches, while the vinyl looks the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Whistler
The parts that come in contact with the driver are real (cheap) leather. Everything else is vinyl. Look close at it and yuocan see the difference. Thats why cars that sit in the sun have the real leather parts shrink and break the stitches, while the vinyl looks the same.
Word!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This is a surprisingly informative thread when the intelligent people post. I have taken apart a lot of seats and I would say everything dylan@adams has said would be correct.

Quick Reply: Trans Am Seats Real Leather or Not