Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 04-29-2016, 04:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Installing Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Window Tint

Hello everyone, just wanted to know some suggestions on a window tint brand for a DIY installation. I was going to get it installed locally but the lowest is 80$ and I thought I should just do it myself. I drive a 97 Camaro SS, and was wondering how i should go about doing the rear hatch? In several pieces vertically or horizontally? I also heard of some precut one pieces. Anyone know anything about these? Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fwiw I bought some precut tint off eBay it was cut perfectly two fronts and hatch very hook looking film but unfortunately I fucked it up so bad I had to peel it all of but I've read on here that the eBay film was really good and cheap too
Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Yea, man. That ebay precut tint sure seemed like a good idea but it's so tough to install. I have absolutely no experience with this though. I actually had the side windows pretty well done with a few tools and heat shrinking them. Still had a few minor imperfections so I ripped it all off. I fucked up the back window right off the bat. I was pissed. Went and had it done professionally for $125. Can't complain...
Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take my word for it, take it somewhere and have it done, i got my car done for 150 and is perfect ,2 side windows,and rear hatch, and im having the windsheild done for 75, these are not the cars to try and tint for a first timer, all the curves and tight areas make it really hard ,if you had a pickup truck and wanted to do the sides ,thats not to bad to do,also if my tint ever has any issues i just take it back and they will fix it for free,if you do it,it will have issues
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Captain Double Post

tint is cheap these days ,the place that did mine usally does a normal car for 100 ,just with the hatch on our cars its a lil more because its such a pain in the ***,
Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Ya I agree just have it done professionally, you will be much happier with the results and besides if you end up getting shitty quality tint even if it says high quality it will just turn purple in time
Old 08-19-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

^exactly. I tried to do the side windows on my Silverado. I spent $25 on the materials and it all wound up in a tiny ball on the garage floor after about 3 hours of messing with it. I called the shop that did my Camaro and it was $69 with tax and a lifetime warranty. I was pretty pissed that I didn't take it to begin with.

They charged $160 for my Camaro, with a one piece rear. Lifetime warranty too.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Side windows are cake, the hatch sucks. Take it somewhere where the installers can do a good one piece rear hatch. The main thing either way is to have a clean as possible surface to start so that could mean hand washing, claying, buffing with a mild abrasive and then recleaning to perfection. May want to consider a alcohol wipe down for final prep...

The using plenty of soapy mixture spray down and work from the middle out with the bubbles. It is best to remove the door skin to get it to look clean. Once satisfied, cut with a good razor a clean edge and close the doors, keep sealed for at least 24 hours for curing.

I used to get the stuff OTC at local autoparts stores. Cops in CT break ***** so I stopped doing it. Less attention.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

80 bucks for all windows? Def get it done over there, well worth it.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Save yourself the frustration. Drop it off, pay, drive home. Money well spent. I had the Camaro tint stripped and retinted for $100. A guy I work with didn't want to pay to have his done. He got a "deal" with 3M and bought $600 worth of tint and little tools, etc. Sounded like a great plan. It takes him a couple hours to do one side window and it looks so-so. So much for his new side business.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

can yall see out of your back glass or is it just my fed up tint? lol
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Words of advice, never do your own tint. Most diy tint quality selections are crappy at best and then the fact most people have no idea what they are doing just make it worse. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

I done all my windows including the hatch. DO NOT USE THE CHEAP EBAY STUFF its so thin its hard to work with. You can either two piece it and cut along a defroster line which is what a beginner should do or get a bigger roll and pre cut it on the outside, shrink if needed ( i didnt shrink mine) and then spray with tinting solution, fold carefully and loosely install. Go slow taking your time and make sure everything is good and wet, best solution i've found is J&J baby shampoo mixed with water.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, the thing is that in my area the tint is done in pieces for the hatch, and they can take up to 3 strips, leaving some weird lines. If i find a professional with a one piece ill do that, or maybe i can take them the tint and have them do it instead of myself.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Not sure if the pre 2002 have the dot matrix, but if so it's gonna be in 2 prices anyway. Gotta vinyl the dot matrix..don't diy even if it's cheaper the times not worth it.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's definitely doable if you're a DIY guy. Here's how I did mine using the eBay precut tint from TintPro. Good quality, precut perfectly, and great service.

The side windows are really easy and pretty self explanatory.
The rear is a bit of challenge. Here's how I did mine:

-Remove hatch and hang from garage rafters.
-Mask off and paint dot matrix on inside of glass
- Clean outside thoroughly.
- Lay tint (with backing still on) over outside.
- Spend 3 hours stretching it to fit the contour with a heat gun and soapy water. Yes it is possible. My friend and I have done it to 3 F-Body's.
- Clean inside of glass thoroughly.
- Saturate glass and tint with soapy water.
- Apply tint to inside of glass and smooth out bubbles with bondo spreader.
- Tape down edges with 1/4" black striping tape to keep it from lifting. Remove after 36hrs if you like. I left mine on because you really can't tell it's on there and it's just a little more added insurance.
- Re-attach hatch to car.
-Profit.

Oh, pics of the process on my car:

Painted:

Tint on the outside for shaping:

Tint on the inside, done:

Tint on the inside, done:

Oh (again). The precut stuff from TintPro on ebay is VERY good quality. I don't know about the thickness compared to other tints because theirs is the only kind I've used, but the quality is phenomenal. My car has been tinted for over 3 years and there's NO signs of "blueing" or "purpleing". It's still just as dark and even as the day I put it in.

Yes, it's difficult. Yes, it's time consuming. Yes, it's easier to take it somewhere and have it done. Personally, I'm a huge fan of doing my own work. My theory is if they can do it there's no reason why I can't. Sure, you'll make mistakes along the way, but that's how you learn. And my cost was only around $40 or so. The tint was $27 shipped and you'll need spray bottles, distilled water, Johnson's Baby Shampoo, and some bondo spreaders.

Plus when people ask you where you got your car tinted, you'll have the ability to say you did it yourself. That's worth every hour spent in my book.

Last edited by Lotus289; 08-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I got precut tint on eBay for my side windows and had a shop do the back. Looks perfect and the sides are easy as cake to put on.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also went with the 15% precut e-bay tint and it looks awesome. As most say the side windows are cake, I removed the door panels and sprayed a baby shampoo/water mix and then squeegeed the tint on let dry and then re-installed the panels. The hatch was tough... I removed it and went with black vinyl over the dot maxrix , then I sprayed the living hell out of it with my soap solution and had my brother help me position the tint and then I went to town on it. I didnt stretch the tint at all and it actually went on pretty easy, there were a few spots that would lift but when the soap/water between the tint and glass started to dry it stuck and didn;t come back up. It was definetly worth the $30 I spent on it
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

gonna be trying my hand out in tinting some time soon. got some ebay precut 35% tint all around. looks pretty good in the package.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another vote for drop it off, pay, pick it up. have tinted several vehicles over years, way worth it for a pro job.

Quick Reply: Installing Window Tint