Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Talk me into/out of a car detailing career path...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
sounds like you want to run your own business and you like detailing.... so i would recommend busting your *** in school, getting into a great college while aiming for a business degree.

on the side, detail cars. build up a portfolio, get referrals. post up pictures of your work.

later on, who knows what is possible... you could attempt a small business and fail horribly, or you could start something that can really take off like a jiffy lube style *high quality* detailing chain and make billions.

Wow, that just puts it in a nut shell.

Very true, just how **** should be though.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just detailed my car a couple of weeks ago with a G110v2 and adams products. spent 20+ hours on the D/A just paint correction ALONE and got about 85% of defects out of the paint, ill get the rest next time around. thats not including washing, claying, drying, glazing, sealing, waxing, exhaust tips, wheels, interior, windshield, undercarriage, and engine bay. and after 3 days of driving its dirty again. physically demanding, pshhh not at all
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Everyone has very valid points here. I did it at a dealership and a detailing shop for a few years, and have been on my own (part time) for 6 years or so. The potential to make money is definitely there. Just be warned, in my experience at least, there are going to be jobs you will under-quote the customer and lose your rear end, and others where you will do the opposite and over-quote. Some detailers bill their customers by the hours they work on the vehicle, whereas others give them a quote ahead of time. You have to decide what works best for you and your future goals. You should think ahead to the future and where you want it to go. If you only want it to be a part-time thing you do after work compared to a full blown full time business, you may want to plan accordingly.

Bottom line is that if YOU want to make it successful, you have to keep the customers happy. Go the extra mile to please them and never cut corners, because happy customers talk. Word of mouth from a satisfied customer will be one of your biggest assets.

Hope that helps! GOOD LUCK!!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EsCrasston
Everyone has very valid points here. I did it at a dealership and a detailing shop for a few years, and have been on my own (part time) for 6 years or so. The potential to make money is definitely there. Just be warned, in my experience at least, there are going to be jobs you will under-quote the customer and lose your rear end, and others where you will do the opposite and over-quote. Some detailers bill their customers by the hours they work on the vehicle, whereas others give them a quote ahead of time. You have to decide what works best for you and your future goals. You should think ahead to the future and where you want it to go. If you only want it to be a part-time thing you do after work compared to a full blown full time business, you may want to plan accordingly.

Bottom line is that if YOU want to make it successful, you have to keep the customers happy. Go the extra mile to please them and never cut corners, because happy customers talk. Word of mouth from a satisfied customer will be one of your biggest assets.

Hope that helps! GOOD LUCK!!
I agree with everything you said. Although not many satisfied customers take their time to tell others about their experience, its usually the unsatisfied ones. Not always the case, but for the most part the unsatisfied customer is more likely to speak out than the satisfied one. Look at the Sponsor Feedback section. I may be wrong though, it may be different in this subject.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Conrad
I agree with everything you said. Although not many satisfied customers take their time to tell others about their experience, its usually the unsatisfied ones. Not always the case, but for the most part the unsatisfied customer is more likely to speak out than the satisfied one. Look at the Sponsor Feedback section. I may be wrong though, it may be different in this subject.
When a customer picks up his car from me, or I leave his house, he can't wait to tell/show his friends/family.

Make them really happy and they will sing your praises.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol 30-40 cars a day?
What? You don't believe me? It's not detailing as like what where talking about it was just washing and drying the outside of the car vacuuming the interior then cleaning the dash cupholders ect... And put some cheap *** tire shine on that I really think was vegetable oil it would turn **** brown when it got rained on
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
When a customer picks up his car from me, or I leave his house, he can't wait to tell/show his friends/family.

Make them really happy and they will sing your praises.
So it IS different with auto detailing. Wasn't sure.

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
What? You don't believe me? It's not detailing as like what where talking about it was just washing and drying the outside of the car vacuuming the interior then cleaning the dash cupholders ect... And put some cheap *** tire shine on that I really think was vegetable oil it would turn **** brown when it got rained on
Ah yeah I did think a full detailing. I assume you wash the cars then send it to someone else then they detail it. And haha yeah I hate how the dealers make the tires and engine bay way too damn shiny, looks out of place. I like those to be black but not shiny black.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

So it IS different with auto detailing. Wasn't sure.
Yeah, but you have to WOW them. Do an average job and they won't even remember it. Do a good job and they might remember you if someone brings up detailing in a conversation. You gotta knock their socks off and they will go a long way for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments.

I'm not planning on starting to detail cars now, this will be later, at least after 2 years of college (core classes). It is very important to me to go to school for something to fall back on. I am positive that working for myself would make me the happiest, I've considered entrepreuership but have no idea what that thing would be. I know it could be physically challenging but I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to work every day of the week.

And yes I've seen gofast's work, it is amazing. Figured he would have already posted in here haha.
You hit it on the head!! Finish school then start your business. It's always great to have a plan b or back up. Iv learned this the hard way. I dropped out of college with a 3.8 and 12 credits left just because I was greedy for the money working 3 jobs. 2 of them were detailing for different dealerships and they paid for my training. It is very demanding work especially if you have any injuries. ( 3 herniated disks). But I still love seeing a car leave my garage looking better than it did brand new. As far as money wise you can easily make around $100 to $200 a day detailing. But as stated before, you have to want it and have to find your clientele unless you have a car wash with employees.

Quick Reply: Talk me into/out of a car detailing career path...