Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl mark help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl mark help

So i have a Black SS camaro and ive notices im starting to get swirls to the point wax isnt even making a difference. The paint looks super glassy, but i still notice the marks. I dont know if its from using my orbital buffer to much or washing it every weekend. Any help in eliminating these marks and getting my paint back into good shape would be helpful. also if anyone has advice on hiding decent size rock chips would be a added bonus.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here. going to try Meguiar's swirls remover in 2 weeks after am doing with some parts install but not sure if it works by hand or a buffer.. ill see how it goes. swirls on black is just a pita.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Launching!

I have a black SS also and have the same problem. I've used several products that are bought locally. But zaino seems to help the most. Buy yourself an porter cable pc. That will help alot. I will be ordering some lake country and menzerna products to try soon
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same problem and would also like to know how to remove them. I was wondering as well if washing every weekend has anything to do with it lol. Damn these dark colors, such a pain to keep clean lol.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Same problem and would also like to know how to remove them. I was wondering as well if washing every weekend has anything to do with it lol. Damn these dark colors, such a pain to keep clean lol.
to remove them you need a porter cable 7424 or meguiars DA. along with meguiars 105/205 combo and some orange, black and white pads. as for washing it every weekend thats not a problem. the only way it can be a problem is your washing/drying technique.

however if your car is a DD like mine (black car) it will be really hard to keep it swirl free especially since my car stays outside.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
same here. going to try Meguiar's swirls remover in 2 weeks after am doing with some parts install but not sure if it works by hand or a buffer.. ill see how it goes. swirls on black is just a pita.
swirlx remover can be use both ways by hand and with a DA. I tried to use swirlx the other day and its really hard compare to the m105/m205. but by hand you can either try swirlx or meguiars ultimate compound.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

The first step is to identify how the swirls are being induced. It's most often from washing/drying. Here's my suggestion for that:

Supplies:

-car wash soap with high lubricity
-high quality sheepskin wash mitts
-foam gun (optional)
-2 buckets with grit guards for paint
-1 bucket and mitt for wheels
-high quality microfiber towels
-210+ mph electric leaf blower
-high quality sealant and/or wax
-quick detailer

Method:

-Wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-Using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam (optional)

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-When vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-Use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-Remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

As for removing the swirls already there. You'll best be served with a Porter Cable or Flex orbital polisher, some Lake Country foam pads, and a couple of quality paint polishes (I prefer Menzerna). There are tons of tutorials online for using these properly together. He has some awesome demos - http://www.youtube.com/user/blkyukon

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bobbyd
swirlx remover can be use both ways by hand and with a DA. I tried to use swirlx the other day and its really hard compare to the m105/m205. but by hand you can either try swirlx or meguiars ultimate compound.
thanks for the in put. but does it really work? i mean will you see a huge different? my car's paint is in okay condition but lately i noticed these swirls, they make the color creamy lol. ill get swirlx and try oh and also, will wax be enough to keep them away for a while?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

i already have a porter cable OB with the Pads from Adams. I want to say its my washing/drying process that jacks it up. I use to use ADAMS polishes alot, but i ran out so i use Meguirs and finish it up with Zano. Maybe Saturday ill strip the wax off with dish soap and re-wax it. Also ive noticed that on cool nights My roof(my cars a hard top) and my deck lid seem to fog up.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wax really won't get rid of swirls. Like bobbyd said, meguiars 105 and 205 work great as well as lake country orange, black, and white polishing pads. Make sure you are using the right pad with the polish being used (orange mild cutting pad with meguiars 105 ultra cut compound and black/white polishing pad with meguiars 205 finishing polish). Make sure you claybar before polishing. After polish, use your favorite wax/sealant. I've heard Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant brings a little more depth/gloss in black cars.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My back is already killing me after washing and drying, I rarely even wax because of it lol.

Quick Reply: Swirl mark help