Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Adams Wheel Polish (1&2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics?

how you like the webril wipes. I got mine as well. They get black quite fast.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

I like them still very fine scratches hardly noticable tho i added some pics to my garage
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a big Mother's BILLET polish fan, I think is one of the better ones out there. My Convo Pro's always like it.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gunner, soap and water to wash them, nothing else. Then dry them with microfiber before you begin to polish. You also need to realize that polished aluminum will never have a perfect mirror like chrome finish, that some hazing is inevitable. Actually when the the wheels were delivered to me new they looked worse than when I sold them to you (way more swirls). My rule of thumb is if they look good from 3-5' away, you're good to go. If you spend hours on each one every time, you'll go insane because they just get dirty again!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the positive reviews guys!

One tip - after you've got them polished to your liking apply a coating of our Quick Sealant to keep them that way for longer. It will slow the oxidation process substantially as well as keep them much easier to clean.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-a...k-sealant.aspx
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found that the more I polish, the more I realize that I need to sand them with 1000 grit. I'm considering using like a blue scotch brite pad, which is supposedly non-scratching, and use some of the Adam's #1 polish to do a serious polish first. Then move to the #1 with a clotch or microfiber applicator, then move to #2 with an applicator.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all these replies and no pics. wtf.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LE35thSS
all these replies and no pics. wtf.
lol... Pics make my rims look worse than they really do look.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Default t

Originally Posted by thmass6
Hey Gunner, soap and water to wash them, nothing else. Then dry them with microfiber before you begin to polish. You also need to realize that polished aluminum will never have a perfect mirror like chrome finish, that some hazing is inevitable. Actually when the the wheels were delivered to me new they looked worse than when I sold them to you (way more swirls). My rule of thumb is if they look good from 3-5' away, you're good to go. If you spend hours on each one every time, you'll go insane because they just get dirty again!
thanks scott, i just used soap and water in an empty windex bottle and cleaned them that way but i got em all shined up and looking good. Way more work than my torq thrust m's lol.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, my Adams 1 and 2 polish arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to put it on. The wheels were previoulsy washed and dried, sprayed with Flitz, washed off and dried again and then, yesterday, polished with Adams. I polished them first with the number 1 and wow, what a difference. It's sad to say, but Adams 1 produced a better "shine" than any other product I've ever used (Mother's, Braso, etc.). Then came time to polish with Adams 2. Took a little elbow greese to get the polish to turn black, but after a while, it did. Wiped them off after letting the polish do it's work for about an hour and all I can say is that stuff is amazing. I will NEVER use another polish again. I'm sold on Adams. Now I need to order the sealent to keep them looking this way. I will do my best to get some pics up. Long story short, all oxidation is gone, all the little imperfections are gone and I'm left with a brand new looking set of CCW 505a's.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have found that the more I polish, the more I realize that I need to sand them with 1000 grit. I'm considering using like a blue scotch brite pad, which is supposedly non-scratching, and use some of the Adam's #1 polish to do a serious polish first. Then move to the #1 with a clotch or microfiber applicator, then move to #2 with an applicator.
0000 steel wool is also good for heavy restoration work.

If a set of wheels is seriously trashed I'll go thru the following:
  • Acid wheel cleaner to etch the surface and even them out. Pretty much turns them white.
  • 0000 steel wool + MP #1
  • Blue pad on a drill + MP #1 (use a foam pad for tight spots)
  • Red pad on drill + MP #2 (use a foam pad for tight spots)
  • Finish off with brilliant glaze if its a show wheel, quick sealant if its a driver.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Dylan@adams
0000 steel wool is also good for heavy restoration work.

If a set of wheels is seriously trashed I'll go thru the following:
  • Acid wheel cleaner to etch the surface and even them out. Pretty much turns them white.
  • 0000 steel wool + MP #1
  • Blue pad on a drill + MP #1 (use a foam pad for tight spots)
  • Red pad on drill + MP #2 (use a foam pad for tight spots)
  • Finish off with brilliant glaze if its a show wheel, quick sealant if its a driver.

Good info. I'll probably start with the 0000 steel wool with the MP#1 step and see what kind of results I get.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, a picture is worth a 1000 words right...

That was after about 5 minutes of polishing by hand with a blue scotchbrite pad with #1 and then a foam pad with #2 to just try it out.

Here's why I had the wheel off the car..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Launching!

blue scotch pad doesnt scratch?
and hard works paying off. Wish mine would come that clean in 5 mins. and like the wheels and the why they are off..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by WS6 What
blue scotch pad doesnt scratch?
and hard works paying off. Wish mine would come that clean in 5 mins. and like the wheels and the why they are off..
I'm not gauranteeing that they don't scratch, but as you can see the back of my wheels are in bad shape.

http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/port...Page=30&rt=rud
Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you get all your wheels done Alchemist? The wheel looks good. It's time consuming, but well worth it once you're done. Do you plan on putting anything on them once they are polished to your liking?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Did you get all your wheels done Alchemist? The wheel looks good. It's time consuming, but well worth it once you're done. Do you plan on putting anything on them once they are polished to your liking?
Did I get them done, nope, not even close. That picture was what I did last night at like 9 oclock at night. Honestly, I probably won't get them fully done till the end of the season when I can put the car on jackstands on the lift, and pull each wheel one by one and take my time.

It's nice to know that I have the right tools to get the job done.

Once I get them perfect, I may have them cleared, we'll see. Down side to that is once you clear them, any flaw is unremovable unless you strip the clear and start over.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you guys recommend this be done by hand or can I use any of those Mothers attachments?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this work on my factory chrome zr1 wheels as well or do I need a Chrome Polish
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Do you guys recommend this be done by hand or can I use any of those Mothers attachments?
I would say just do it by hand. I heard from a friend of mine that the attachment just slings **** everywhere.

Quick Reply: Adams Wheel Polish (1&2)