Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

External LED mods..

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think they fit your car great, the light set up is bad ***, man major props on your ride, you went outside the box and it looks damn good, i like your ride so much honest just because you did do something that has not been done over and over again, not to many can pull it off and not have it look bad ,ricey,or just crap.words dont do your ride justice, but killer job ,you set yourself apart from the ta crowd,
Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks good but I think the bars would look better if they were mounted to the top of the bottom vent on the bumper.

Link to where you got these at? Want some for mine.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like. I have switchbacks on mine too but just the regular 3157s a/w set up.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Look great during the day. However, at night they just appear to be round white lights which kind of defeats the whole purpose of doing the mod...just my $.02.
Love the look during the day and kudos for going new, as long as you love it rock on, killer whip!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have to say you have the sickest trans am. keep up the good work.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Look great during the day. However, at night they just appear to be round white lights which kind of defeats the whole purpose of doing the mod...just my $.02.
Love the look during the day and kudos for going new, as long as you love it rock on, killer whip!
the whole purpose in my mind is to get around having to change signal bulbs every other week...

Awesome mod good job!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Qcon
Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here? I've attached a quick diagram below.

Ideally, the DRLs would stay white all the time and blink White/Off or White/Amber with lights on.
Those lights are off when the headlights are on stock. There must be a wire going from the headlight switch to what ever controls those lights. So ideally you want the LEDs to never know the headlights are on. You have to copy what the parking lamps have for the headlight phase. If you can supply me some info on the complete circuit details of the DRL/Turn Lamp I can help.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM
BS
Launching!

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here? I've attached a quick diagram below. I'm trying to figure out why the ambers don't light when the headlights are on. The DRL is off, and signal blinks Amber/Off. With just parking lights on, DRLs are amber and signal blinks Amber/Off. With all lights off, DRLs are white and signal blinks White/Off.

Ideally, the DRLs would stay white all the time and blink White/Off or White/Amber with lights on.

The LEDs are connected to the three wires: Blue/Brown/Black.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Q
The wiring is pretty straight forward, so I don't think you could screw that up. What flashers are you using? I'd change flashers and see if it fixes it. But those lights may have not been designed to flash both alternating. The only other thing I can think of is the BCM not working properly.

By the way your car.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You have 3 wires coming in there. One is ground, the blue is bright filament on the stock bulb, and the brown is dim filament on stock bulb, IIRC. The DRL was never a separate wire nor a separate bulb filament, it just shared the bright filament with the turn signal.

On the Camaro, when the headlights are on, the brown wire has power (dim filament). Is that different on a stock Bird?

Here is what I need to come up with a wiring solution - I need the exact behavior of the car's STOCK lighting. Engine on with parking brake off, parking lights on, and headlights on. Also let me know what the little side marker does in those three cases. I'm pretty sure it doesn't flash with the turn signal, but if it does, I would want to know if it is in sync or opposite of the main front signal light.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm using EL12 flashers for both signal and hazards. With the normal 3157 socket, the DRL is on with headlights off and parking lights on and signal flashes on/off. The DRL dims when headlights are on and signal flashes bright/dim. The side markers are on with parking and headlights and do not flash.

On the LED, I'm pretty sure the blue wire powers the white lights and the brown wire powers the amber, but I can't figure out why it doesn't light the amber when the headlights are on. But then again... it lights amber when I turn on just the parking lights.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Where did you pick these up?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i found the correct ones they are 60 bucks for 2 at superbright...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

I think you would be fine tapping into the headlight + and connecting it to white as it is not used when the headlights are on. Theres gotta be diodes up the parking/turn signal circuit that will protect the bcm
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using EL12 flashers for both signal and hazards. With the normal 3157 socket, the DRL is on with headlights off and parking lights on and signal flashes on/off. The DRL dims when headlights are on and signal flashes bright/dim. The side markers are on with parking and headlights and do not flash.

On the LED, I'm pretty sure the blue wire powers the white lights and the brown wire powers the amber, but I can't figure out why it doesn't light the amber when the headlights are on. But then again... it lights amber when I turn on just the parking lights.
Might be just the LEDs you bought?

Mine when the parking lights are on, they light up amber however they light up amber-white when the hazards are on or blinkers are on. When the headlights are on, the white come on and then the amber-white engage as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Launching!

I for one love this idea! I might have to steal this from you lol If you dont mind me asking, how did you mount the LED strip itself? Just on a piece of black plastic or something and then use the factory mounting holes from the turn signal housings and how long are the strips themselves? Im tired of buying bulbs all the time. For the amount of time ive owned my car and the amount of money spent on bulbs, i could of bought the LEDs your using and just be done with it. Just my .02 i like the no DRL look when the head lights are on. Gives it a different but cleaner look.

Last edited by StealthWeaponLS1; 10-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM
BS
Launching!

The EL12 is an electro-mechanical turn signal flasher you may need an electronic no load flasher.
But if you got those lights from VLEDs, I don't think they're designed to flash alternately. On their website they state:"5W White High Output DRL with integrated Amber turn LEDs. White shuts off when turn signal is active."

When I installed my Switchbacks from Autolumination the Amber lights were on when the DRLs were suppose to be on and flashed amber-off. The amber lights were on when the parking lights were suppose to be on but flashed amber-white. When the headlights were on the white light were on and flashed white-amber.

I switched the blue and brown wires in the socket. Now the white lights are on for the DRLs and flash white-off. The parking lights are white and flash white-amber. When the lights are on the LEDs are amber and flash amber-white.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry man, but I don't like it at all. You put a "square peg" in a "round hole". Doesn't flow as well as stock, and IMO looks very cheap. Looked way better with the stock DRLs.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

wicked looking car. Dig the wheels becuase I got em too.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
I think you would be fine tapping into the headlight + and connecting it to white as it is not used when the headlights are on. Theres gotta be diodes up the parking/turn signal circuit that will protect the bcm
Then the signal wouldn't blink since it was getting a constant 12V, right?

Originally Posted by bene
Might be just the LEDs you bought?

Mine when the parking lights are on, they light up amber however they light up amber-white when the hazards are on or blinkers are on. When the headlights are on, the white come on and then the amber-white engage as well.
I was thinking it might be the circuitry in the LED bar since both white and amber get power in different conditions.

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Sorry man, but I don't like it at all. You put a "square peg" in a "round hole". Doesn't flow as well as stock, and IMO looks very cheap. Looked way better with the stock DRLs.
I was thinking along the same lines. I'm looking for a bar with more rounded off corners so it looks more like this photoshop. I'll probably tuck them in more towards the centerline so it doesn't fill the entire width of the opening.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you think these would work for the rounded off you were looking for? its only 2 wires it seems...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...w6-l_specs.htm

Quick Reply: External LED mods..