Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

External LED mods..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Qcon
Then the signal wouldn't blink since it was getting a constant 12V, right?
Idk i think the yellow would blink in that instant. Or make a relay to break the headlight to white when it sees yellow turn signal voltage.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Qcon
I'm using EL12 flashers for both signal and hazards. With the normal 3157 socket, the DRL is on with headlights off and parking lights on and signal flashes on/off. The DRL dims when headlights are on and signal flashes bright/dim. The side markers are on with parking and headlights and do not flash.

On the LED, I'm pretty sure the blue wire powers the white lights and the brown wire powers the amber, but I can't figure out why it doesn't light the amber when the headlights are on. But then again... it lights amber when I turn on just the parking lights.
OK cool.

Give me some time to play with some circuit simulations and wiring diagrams and I'll get back with you on this. If you don't hear from me for a bit, feel free to give me a reminder in case I get wrapped up in other stuff and I forget

You want it to remain white whether headlights are on or off, and then blink amber when the turn signal is on, correct?

At first glance it looks like it might need a couple extra wires run and maybe even a relay to get working that way. But if you don't mind doing that, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to get working
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
OK cool.

Give me some time to play with some circuit simulations and wiring diagrams and I'll get back with you on this. If you don't hear from me for a bit, feel free to give me a reminder in case I get wrapped up in other stuff and I forget

You want it to remain white whether headlights are on or off, and then blink amber when the turn signal is on, correct?

At first glance it looks like it might need a couple extra wires run and maybe even a relay to get working that way. But if you don't mind doing that, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to get working
Awesome, thanks. Yes, I'd like white all the time, and either White or Amber when signaling.

Q
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by BS
The EL12 is an electro-mechanical turn signal flasher you may need an electronic no load flasher.
But if you got those lights from VLEDs, I don't think they're designed to flash alternately. On their website they state:"5W White High Output DRL with integrated Amber turn LEDs. White shuts off when turn signal is active."

When I installed my Switchbacks from Autolumination the Amber lights were on when the DRLs were suppose to be on and flashed amber-off. The amber lights were on when the parking lights were suppose to be on but flashed amber-white. When the headlights were on the white light were on and flashed white-amber.

I switched the blue and brown wires in the socket. Now the white lights are on for the DRLs and flash white-off. The parking lights are white and flash white-amber. When the lights are on the LEDs are amber and flash amber-white.
I was looking at the lights a little closer the other day and both Amber and White are on when the parking lights are on and the white flashes off and on and the Amber stays on. I have all factory wiring and I've only switched two wires in each socket.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

The previous DRL/Signals you had installed, were those factory? They dont look 100% identical to mine.

Also, where did you get your clear side markers? And have you thought about a few light coats of night shade on them or do you like them the way they are? Im thinking about getting a set for my NBM TA.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for bumping this - reminds me I need to get to work on the wiring schematics. Sorry OP, got wrapped up in other things and forgot

Should have my computer rebuilt tonight, then I'll work on some circuit simulations and have something for you
Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are a few new shots after I moved the lights more inboard.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just an update on the wiring - I'm looking at the diagrams and surprisingly this is a little more difficult to do compared to my Trailblazer's wiring. I thought the Trailblazer would be more complex because of extra signal wires, but those extra wires is what actually makes it relatively easy. The fbodies use more basic wiring, but that leaves less to tap into and adapt.

I'll get it, just a matter of figuring out the best way to do it...

I came up with one way that would work, but it would require disabling the factory DRLs, running a new power lead to each corner, and using two relays designed for heavy actuation usage. I keep looking at it and at the diagrams thinking that there has to be a better way to do it than this, so I'm not too sure about posting that first idea up yet.

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 10-19-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tagged..
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Would love to add some pics with our headlights on your to our customer pics page. Love the car!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
Would love to add some pics with our headlights on your to our customer pics page. Love the car!
Sure, but I'll have to get better shots with your headlights, though.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
Here are a some new shots of the headlights you can use.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there anyway you could mount those behind the stock drl housings for more of a stock look?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the pics! Car looks angry
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just an idea - paint the headlight trim a dark black, the grayish black kind of takes away from the evil look.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

any updates?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

No real updates. I switched my wiring around so i have no DRL/Signal under daylight conditions, so I have to switch on at least my parking lights to get front signals. With the parking lights only, I get Amber DRL and Amber/White Signal. With headlights on, I get White DRL and Amber/White Signal. I have the brown wire connected to the Amber and the blue wire connected to white.

Here's a graphic of the light behavior.

Stock DRL

Current LED Wiring:

Original LED Wiring:

I've also developed a interference issue with the LEDs, that I can't seem to quell. I'm hearing a little bit of acceleration whine and my FM reception is poorer with the DRLs on. Grounds seem solid, so I'm wondering if the power draw through the DRL module is affecting the antenna lead into the head unit. This didn't happen with the lower power LED strip I had tested with.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I changed my website so all my old photo links are bad so here's a few updates. Right now, it's configured so that the DRLs and signals don't function without the parking lights or headlights turned on. When the light switch is on either Park or Headlights, the DRLs are white and the signals are amber.

Front LED strip DRL/Signals | White On

Front LED strip DRL/Signals | Amber On
Plastidipped Front/Rear Markers w. LED strips

Smoked LED CMHSL

Video
I noticed that when the Hazard lights are on, the CMHSL stays dimly lit. Does it do that with the stock lights?
http://youtu.be/Akm5bvg2eSM
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just go ahead and say it for everyone since nobody seems to notice.. But thanks for designing this hood for us. Everyone compliments it but never seems to take the time to realize that you designed the hood! so... THANKS!

I just noticed, maybe its jus in the pictures. But does only your drivers side headlight have "pontiac" on it.. I dont seem to see it on the passenger side?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Bump!.

Wonder if there is a newer model car that has a housing that might work with similar measurements.

Quick Reply: External LED mods..