Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

*****Carbon Fiber berger panel v1.5*****

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Also curious on how the non filled in panel will turn out.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like it exactly as is. having a black car, we don't get much option for a berger panel. I think this looks better than silver or som off gray. I like to so much, that I might have to try it myself. Where did you get the cf? If I do it, I'll use a vacuum bag to squeeze it on.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-17-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

That carbon fiber pops so much on that red car. I wonder how it would look on white..
Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks awesome, I'm in for one!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly

I would cut that lower section out then make a new piece out of CF then bond it back into the bumper from the inside. That would be 10x easier then doing a complete wrap.

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
That carbon fiber pops so much on that red car. I wonder how it would look on white..
There was a guy who did his in the vinyl wrap, cant find the picture but it looked pretty good. (Got the idea from him)

Originally Posted by '00_Z
Looks awesome, I'm in for one!
Well, you better get to making one then lol
Old 10-18-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What's up with the flexfuel? Lol
Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 AM
TECH Addict

maybe e85?

and i think you just tapped into a great market idea..!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
What's up with the flexfuel? Lol
i was thinking the same lol. started looking for e85 in the list of mods, haha
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

sorry, that pic isnt of mine. looks similiar though. just thought yall would like to see it. i posted the berger panel pics in that guys thread on svtperformance. just to share ideas.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

sorry, that pic isnt of mine. looks similiar though. just thought yall would like to see it. i posted the berger panel pics in that guys thread on svtperformance. just to share ideas.
Gotcha, that would look good tho thats for sure. Too bad none of my friends own cobras or I would love to make that piece.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

i gonna try it in about 2 weeks. i'm gonna use carbon fiber vinyl. doubt i can afford the real cf.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
The one on the red car is 100% CF, there is a company out there that makes them (can't say a name because they are not a sponsor, and I honestly forgot who), but the owner made a thread on here somewhere and said the build quality wasn't that good. He had to do some modifications to make the tail lights fit back and there were some gap issues as well. I thought about purchasing one but thank god I did a search first haha.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

i gonna try it in about 2 weeks. i'm gonna use carbon fiber vinyl. doubt i can afford the real cf.
Probably cost $50 in materials to do this piece.

Originally Posted by 94 Camaro Z28
The one on the red car is 100% CF, there is a company out there that makes them (can't say a name because they are not a sponsor, and I honestly forgot who), but the owner made a thread on here somewhere and said the build quality wasn't that good. He had to do some modifications to make the tail lights fit back and there were some gap issues as well. I thought about purchasing one but thank god I did a search first haha.
Yeah I saw that thread, the gaps were terrible and it didnt line up at all.

I cleaned up the edges around the hatch and under the lights so you cant see the white basically. Once I get the rear back together ill take some pictures outside.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Probably cost $50 in materials to do this piece.

are u talking about vinyl? i was gonna try to find a cheap roll.
i got lucky once and got a huge roll of matte black for $20 shipped. cant remember how many yards but i've already done dual stripes on 5 cars and still have a huge roll left out of it.

should i lay it up against the bumper and cut it while its still on the paper or apply it and then cut it?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Junkie

are u talking about vinyl? i was gonna try to find a cheap roll.
i got lucky once and got a huge roll of matte black for $20 shipped. cant remember how many yards but i've already done dual stripes on 5 cars and still have a huge roll left out of it.

should i lay it up against the bumper and cut it while its still on the paper or apply it and then cut it?
No I was talking about real cf.

Follow my old thread on how to do it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...anel-pics.html
Old 10-20-2011, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good man. Only suggestion I would have if you are picky about the edges by the taillights and the hatch lid, is to paint those edges gloss black.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Looks good man. Only suggestion I would have if you are picky about the edges by the taillights and the hatch lid, is to paint those edges gloss black.
I smoothed it all out so it looks fine now.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you gonna make a guide or give us some tips/tricks that you learned from working with it? Materials list/source? I'd like to get into this as a hobby but don't know where to start.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Are you gonna make a guide or give us some tips/tricks that you learned from working with it? Materials list/source? I'd like to get into this as a hobby but don't know where to start.
Sure.

Tips when working with CF.

-Always premeasure the sheet before you cut it so you have enough to cover the face and extra to wrap the back side
-I recommend using fabric scissors when cutting (this is a lot tougher to cut then regular fiberglass or cloth)
-Tip I learned on doing a piece this big by myself was lay the cf over your piece and roll each side up til you get to the center (it should look like an old paper scroll that you unroll from both sides) when you have your first layer of resin layed down and are ready to drop the cf, line the rolled up cf so its at the same spot as when you rolled it up and unroll each side one at a time carefully making sure the weave stays the same.
-When you lay your first layer down run a plastic spreader (I used a bondo tool) over the surface to make sure it adheres to your first layer of resin and it soaks through.
-Flip the piece over and tape the extra behind the piece tightly so it doesnt move. Do this along the entire edge.
-Turn it over and ad more layers of resin with a paint brush.
-I did 2 layers of resin then let it cure overnight, sanded it down with 120girt to get the high spots down (not trying to get it completely flat and even)
-After the sanding I added 4 more layers of resin, let it cure for a full 24 hours
-Then started sanding, 120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 in that order (resin is very easy to sand so it didnt take that long at all honestly, maybe 30 minutes total)
-Sprayed 4 coats of UV resistant clear coat (I used rustoleum) then sand with 1500 and 2000 then finish with a polishing compound

Edit: Here is a good video showing the steps (just ignore the base coat he lays down and follow the mixing ratio/cure and tack time on the resin you purchased) Everything else is pretty straight forward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTWaV1imzs

As for parts I bought the cf from ebay, its regular 2x2 twill 6 oz black, nothing special. The resin I got from dads friend but its from UScomposite, I had a gallon and it used maybe 1/3 total for this piece.
Buy plastic cups for mixing the resin, you will need quite a few
Food scale, i already had
Paint brushes you need to stock up on lol
Plastic gloves and respirator

Also, wear a thick long sleeve **** and pants or you will be itchy for days after you sand it all lol

Last edited by whytryz28; 10-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: *****Carbon Fiber berger panel v1.5*****