Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Impression of ColorX/NXT

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Impression of ColorX/NXT *Pictures*

I thought I might add to the recent NXT discussions by offering my first impressions of it and ColorX. Sunday I washed the car with Dawn, hit the high spots with some clay, washed with Dawn again, then set to work with some ColorX.

The very first thing I noticed was how easily the ColorX was to apply and remove. It cures faster than any Zaino/ZFX application I've done and came off virtually effortlessly. My paint was very slick, as well--in fact, it was slicker than it had ever been after a fresh application of Zaino. Unfortunately, however, the product didn't do any more for the hairline spider-web scratches in my paint than Zaino. Bear in mind, I'm not speaking of swirl marks caused by a buffer, by tiny, hairline scratches.

Just for good measure, I applied a second coat of ColorX but didn't notice any change in appearance.

I then applied a coat of NXT Tech-Wax. Again, the application and removal was effortless. It cured quickly (the bottle's 10-15 minute cure time recommendation seemed right-on) and the majority of the wax came off with one swipe of the towel. I was throughly impressed with how easy this stuff is to apply and remove.

Since it was dark out, I couldn't judge the effect the NXT had on the look of the paint, but I was able to pull it out into the sun the next day. Simply put, I wasn't blown away, but I wasn't too disappointed either. If I had to choose, I think one application of Zaino (ZFX, Z2, Z5) has a bigger impact than one application of ColorX/NXT (though I did apply two coats of ColorX, I noticed no change after the first coat).

That said, however, my paint was much more flawed before my first application of Zaino, so obviously, the Zanio had a better opportunity to "work its magic" than did the ColorX/NXT, which was applied to much better paint (no swirl marks, etc.). Additionally, I added a second coat of NXT tonight, and it really seemed to add more depth to the shine, so that's promising. Tomorrow, I hope to apply a third coat of NXT, then pull the car out again to see if there is any improvement. If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, I believe there will be.

And yes, I'll provide pictures.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought some might find it informative.

--------------

Update:

I pulled the car out of the garage today and was pretty pleased with what I saw. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking, but from my experience with both Zaino and now NXT, I think the mere convinence factor of NXT makes it the winner. I can't comment on durability, but I'm not too worried about it as I polish my car pretty often. I think I'm still going to give Menzerna/Blackfire a try.

Zaino:

ColorX/NXT:

Josh

Last edited by Josh; 03-10-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the heads-up -

I just picked up some ColorX and NXT Tech Wax this evening, and am just waiting for a few hours of peace and quiet to apply it. Never having used Zaino (but just about everything else), I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool man, thanks for the informative post. also, meguiar's customer representatives assured me that anymore than 2 coats of tech-wax is practically pointless. just letting you know
Old 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuffluck
cool man, thanks for the informative post. also, meguiar's customer representatives assured me that anymore than 2 coats of tech-wax is practically pointless. just letting you know
Oh really? Good info to know, thanks man. I guess I'll just stick with two coats.

Josh
Old 03-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Where can you buy this stuff?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

wal mart carries them both, as well as probably most auto stores. it's made by meguiar's.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Josh, do you have a buffer? The real benefits of colorX/NXT will be brought out when you apply with a buffer.

-Tom
Old 03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperBuick
Josh, do you have a buffer? The real benefits of colorX/NXT will be brought out when you apply with a buffer.

-Tom
Nope, sure don't. I'd like to have one, though. Where's the best place to find the Porter Cable buffer?

Josh
Old 03-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Josh
Nope, sure don't. I'd like to have one, though. Where's the best place to find the Porter Cable buffer?

Josh

I bought a real nice dual speed one at autozone for like $29
Old 03-10-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Josh - you can get either the 7336 at Lowes or the ultimate detailing machine (7424) at www.properautocare.com . I think coastal tool has it too, but I didn't look
Old 03-10-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Tom, looks like Coastal Tool is the cheapest at $119.

Josh
Old 03-10-2004, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Just my .02, but try adding a coat of a good carnauba, like P21S. It really adds depth and luster to dark cars. Alot of synthetic polymers add shine, but no depth or luster. As for the small "spider webs", you might try Klasse All-In-One to get rid of those next time. Bear in mind though, the Klasse is a polish, so you'll have to strip (Dawn) the Nxt before applying. Then come back w/ Nxt and see what happens.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

josh, the properautocare has a differnt pad setup, the velcro, the sell the same one as coastal tool, but it doesnt have the velcro backing plates like proper does, if i remember correctly.

Quick Reply: First Impression of ColorX/NXT