Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

got GTO seats, figured out how to put them in......now how to make them fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 158 Likes on 129 Posts

Default got GTO seats, figured out how to put them in......now how to make them fit

i have a 1998 z28 with a drivers side power seat, and a passenger side manual seat.......i bought some dual power gto seats, and am unsure how to wire them in........i need you guys to dumb it down for me and walk me through as best as possible.....how to i wire the passenger seat in? i was told buy the owner of the seats that i could just splice into the accesory wire underneath the steering wheel.....idk the seats are amazing and i want them to work

Last edited by Floorman279; 10-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldnt you just splice the wires before the connector under the drivers seat and run them to the passenger seat? it would be the same power...
Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea i actually think he said somethim like that
Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i mean if the seat controls are the exact same thing, it would run off the same number of wires and the same type of connector. the hard part might come when the connector in the car already and the seat connector dont match up and you have to redo the connector
Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thad be sick
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

got the seats in....cut all connectors, and used crimp connectors on all.....ill post pics if anyone is interested.......seats both work...but the seatinbg sucks.....some customization is needed.....they sit very high, and with the seats all the way back, they still fit very close to the front of the car........goona have to call some oupholstery places cause i want this to work
Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Floorman279
got the seats in....cut all connectors, and used crimp connectors on all.....ill post pics if anyone is interested.......seats both work...but the seatinbg sucks.....some customization is needed.....they sit very high, and with the seats all the way back, they still fit very close to the front of the car........goona have to call some oupholstery places cause i want this to work
yea could you post pics of the seat in the car and the wiring? I'm looking for gto seats and wiring would really help
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

ok we have 2 issues, one is getting both to work, second is making them fit......this is how i accomplished the first issue......

1) take both seats out of car
2) loosen all center console bolts, and lift it up about 8 inches or so
3) i cut an X right by the passenger side seat belt holder, in a place it wont be seen.....
4) cut about 8 feet of wire, and feed one end through the hole made on the passenger side carpet.......
5) under the center console, is a section where there is no carpet, stick your hand in there, find the wire, and pull it through.....
6)i then began feeding it back down, under the carpet on the drivers side
7) the hole in the carpet where the factory wire connector came through for the drivers seat is big enough ( for me at least) to fit my hand inside, and allowed me to grab the wire and pull it back through........running it this way actually allowed for there to be any wire showing unless you really look for it....
8)repeat steps 4-7 again for the second wire........
9)i wrapped one of the wires from the factory wiring for the power seat, with one of the wires i ran under the console, and then repeated for the other wire......so i basically just connected the passenger side wire with the drivers side wires in the floor......
10)just match the positives from the pass side and the drivers side floor, with the drivers side seat, bolt them together and repeat it for the other wire. I also wrapped each with electric tape, i dont care what it looks like cause i wont see it.......
11) i reconnected the battery and as long as you only run one at a time it should be fine.

Now the fitment on the seats needs to be addressed.......
im 6 foot, and the drivers side fits a lot higher than me well worn down factory seat.......id say it was barely tolerable.....the headrest is about 6 inches from the t top which also isnt good for looks.......when i shut the door, it hits the seat so it needs to be pushed harder than u usually wood have to....also, with the door closed, it is very hard to reach your hand down and adjust the seats.......on the side closest to the center console it fits good.........

the passenger side is much worse........for those of you familiar with all the legroom on the passenger side, which is alot, you lose all of that with the new seats........with it adjusted all the way back, im still very cramped.........that seat sits high as well......idk if these seats will work or not......im goona contact 6 liter and see if they could maybe remove some foam or something to help make em fit better or something idk.......sorry for the oober long post
Attached Thumbnails got GTO seats, figured out how to put them in......now how to make them fit-red-22-28-loop-crimp-connector.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

those seats are probably huge compared to the orginal seats in the car, yeah some mods are in your future to make it work, but if dont right should be pretty cool. Keep on with the updates
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting write-up, but those crimp connectors are horrible, and you didn't need to cut a hole in the carpet, since stock F-body carpets come with holes already made for wiring on both sides underneath the seat. At least, mine did. Just remove the console and it's not an issue. Also, the best way to wire something like that is to use something like this to run/extend the wires:
Molex style connectors
http://www.kojaycat.com/thumbnails/2...arge%20con.JPG

or quick splice connectors with spade connectors integrated. This lets you keep the stock harness so you don't have to cut it off. In general, you should have used SPADE connectors, not round connectors with a bolt holding each one together. Very clunky/unsafe.
http://ksterminals.com.tw/IIE/images...0090907003.jpg
http://www.sherco-auto.com/ttp2.jpg
http://www.sherco-auto.com/Resources/mdv2-2.gif
Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Interesting write-up, but those crimp connectors are horrible, and you didn't need to cut a hole in the carpet, since stock F-body carpets come with holes already made for wiring on both sides underneath the seat. At least, mine did. Just remove the console and it's not an issue. Also, the best way to wire something like that is to use something like this to run/extend the wires:
Molex style connectors
http://www.kojaycat.com/thumbnails/2...arge%20con.JPG

or quick splice connectors with spade connectors integrated. This lets you keep the stock harness so you don't have to cut it off. In general, you should have used SPADE connectors, not round connectors with a bolt holding each one together. Very clunky/unsafe.
http://ksterminals.com.tw/IIE/images...0090907003.jpg
http://www.sherco-auto.com/ttp2.jpg
http://www.sherco-auto.com/Resources/mdv2-2.gif
lol yea i know they are cheap but i just wanted to see if they would work.....i did have to cut a hole though becuase camaros never had dual power seats like you lucky bird owners so we dont have any holes on our passenger sides. if i get them to fit id def get rid of those crimps and maybe get some of those cool connectors from your first link.....where can i find them?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

lol yea i know they are cheap but i just wanted to see if they would work.....i did have to cut a hole though becuase camaros never had dual power seats like you lucky bird owners so we dont have any holes on our passenger sides. if i get them to fit id def get rid of those crimps and maybe get some of those cool connectors from your first link.....where can i find them?
Huh, thought the carpet for Camaro/Firebird was the same part number. You can find Molex connectors at your local ma 'n pa electronics stores, online, through Fry's Electronics Online, or POSSIBLY from your local Radio Shack. It would probably be easier/cheaper just to visit the junkyard and cut off the M+F ends and pigtail of some WeatherPak connectors from some junk GM wiring harness and then solder or butt splice them to your cut car harness. The goal is to get an insulated quick-disconnect connector going so you can easily remove the seats.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Huh, thought the carpet for Camaro/Firebird was the same part number. You can find Molex connectors at your local ma 'n pa electronics stores, online, through Fry's Electronics Online, or POSSIBLY from your local Radio Shack. It would probably be easier/cheaper just to visit the junkyard and cut off the M+F ends and pigtail of some WeatherPak connectors from some junk GM wiring harness and then solder or butt splice them to your cut car harness. The goal is to get an insulated quick-disconnect connector going so you can easily remove the seats.
nope my 1998 had no holes.....
Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Radio Shack has molex connectors. You could also use weatherpac connectors which are available at AutoZone, PepBoys, and other auto parts stores. They may also have some molex (or similar) connectors.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

ok new....goona have to look into that....illget you guys pics i promise
Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Exclamation

ok new....goona have to look into that....illget you guys pics i promise
so where are the pics we were promised?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

want some pics man
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Teching In

^^this!! Mind asking how you got them to fit? I.e custom brackets, trimming if any ... Im trying to do the same since I just picked up a set.

Quick Reply: got GTO seats, figured out how to put them in......now how to make them fit