Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zoop seal v/s powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zoop seal v/s powdercoating

I have a set of AFS 18x9.5 Z06 rims in the Highly Polished Aluminum finish waiting to be installed.

The question is I don't want to have a ton of polishing every week or so to keep them looking good so I'm trying to decide which will be a better option, the zoopseal or powdercoating.

The zoop will cost about $120 or so while the powdercoating about $240.

There is a local shop here that does it but how hard is it??? Is it something that needs years of training and such and only a few people can do right or should this shop be ok?? I imagine it can be easy to do so it looks good when the customer picks it up but flakes off in no time.

Also with the powdercoating I'd go with black
Old 03-12-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zoopseal will NOT flake off.. its not that kind of coating. The way it works is that the product fills and seals the pores in the metal and prevents O2 from getting next to the metal.. no O2.. no oxidation

However, you can NOT polish your wheels again as this would rub off the zoop coating. just wash with soap and water. Also if your wheel get scratched, gouged or such it can oxidize on the now exposed metal. Zoopseal is a process to put on but its not rocket science. They have an article at their website.

You could also have your polished wheels clear powdercoated.. however ANY specs in the powder or if there are any impurities in the metal it will show in the finished product (due to the heat opening the pores in the metal).. This is the most durrable method and looks great except up close.

You can also clear your wheels with automotive paint. this gives the best results but its the least durrable (rock chips, etc)..

good luck

Quick Reply: Zoop seal v/s powdercoating