Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My LS1 Trans Am Projector & HID Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that's the 35w 9005 VVME kit and Hella 60mm halogen housings?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
So that's the 35w 9005 VVME kit and Hella 60mm halogen housings?
That is what I am running, yes.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those actually have a good bit of color! Got any shots on the road?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Interesting. What are your guys' thoughts on halogen projectors with HID's? Is it a matter of just adjusting the cut off shield or something more involved?
Some Halogen Projectors work well with HID, some don't. To find out, get a HID kit for the original bulb size and see what the output looks like. Many newer Halogen Projectors will do well (many ebay projectors are still crap). Older Halogen projectors are different and don't always handle HID well.

As far as adjusting the cut-off shield, it is typically not necessary. However, each projector design reacts differently.

HID projectors have a wider bowl to spread the beam wider with a brighter area just under the cut-off compared to the rest of the beam. This better spreads the light and improves distance vision. Putting HID in a Halogen Projector often results in a more uniform narrower beam.

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
Not sure on the pricing of the Hella 60mm HID projectors, if they even exist.
I haven't seen any. I'd be curious how they'd compare to some other HID projectors.

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
I know they have 90mm HID and 50mm HID projectors, but they come with ballasts. The issue with this is you are spending $546 on just one HID projector, capsule, and ballast. That's a lot of coin...
The Hella 90mm HID projectors are too expensive and the output isn't as good as far cheaper OEM options. I'd would recommend avoiding the Hella 90mm HID projectors and going with something else (ex: FX, FX-R, TL, RX330, Morimoto Mini H1, E46, and others).

Last edited by VIP1; 12-05-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
Some Halogen Projectors work well with HID, some don't. To find out, get a HID kit for the original bulb size and see what the output looks like. Many newer Halogen Projectors will do well (many ebay projectors are still crap). Older Halogen projectors are different and don't always handle HID well.

As far as adjusting the cut-off shield, it is typically not necessary. However, each projector design reacts differently.

HID projectors have a wider bowl to spread the beam wider with a brighter area just under the cut-off compared to the rest of the beam. This better spreads the light and improves distance vision. Putting HID in a Halogen Projector often results in a more uniform narrower beam.

I haven't seen any. I'd be curious how they'd compare to some other HID projectors.

The Hella 90mm HID projectors are too expensive and the output isn't as good as far cheaper OEM options. I'd would recommend avoiding the Hella 90mm HID projectors and going with something else (ex: FX, FX-R, TL, RX330, Morimoto Mini H1, E46, and others).
Exactly. I'm sure someone could seal and retro in two FX-R 1.1's for far, far less and have incredible output. I know on an LS1 TA it's going to be a bitch, but on an LT1 as we've seen from BLS it can be done.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, the uptick of the cutoff is really bugging me out. I'm going to take these apart this weekend and adjust the cutoff. I want it flatter like my MH1's. Comparison...

Morimoto MH1 in my Jeep:

Hella 60mm in my Trans Am:

Once I modify the cutoff shield I'll take new cutoff photos as well as ground shots.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

It almost looks like your projectors are 'clocked' clockwise some.....like they aren't level with the ground

I'd be curious to see if you can modify this uptick before I go ahead and install mine!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They aren't 100% horizontally aligned in that photo. I fixed them a bit after but it still makes no difference to the uptick. My brackets should be here soon, hoping by Friday so I can work on 'em this Sunday.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds good man. Let's have a projector install party! Haha
Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha well I'm heading to my buddies house in West Chester on Sunday. He's doing FX-R's in his Dakota R/T, I'll be doing the brackets in my TA if they arrive in time. I'm hoping they do. I'll let ya know if they do.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hibachi - Nice work, looks great

Has anyone thought about using the TSX projectors?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No Juice
Hibachi - Nice work, looks great

Has anyone thought about using the TSX projectors?
Thanks much! The TSX-R is something I was going to run as well:

Looking at the photo now it's MUCH more sealed than I originally thought. I may have seen something different?! Hmmm... I may sell my 60mm Hella lows and run a set of these shortly. They are almost $200, but the output is basically the BEST low beam projector on the market today.

Need to take some measurements now but anyone wanna buy my Hella 60mm lows if that's the case? haha

Last edited by HibachiZ28; 12-13-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

I was wondering how you were gonna get the Hella's apart. They are assembled pretty well. I'm gonna stick with these projectors. Can you really tell this 'uptick' on the road? Or is it only visible on a garage door?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

It looks like your MH1 also need some minor rotational adjustment.

I haven't see the TSX-R before. Where are they available? Do they have better output than the OEM TSX? The FX & FX-R have better output than the OEM TSX (but they are physically larger if I remember correctly).

The TSX (and probably TSX-R) is not sealed. Its just less "open" than the FX which is already less "open" than other projectors like the E46 (which is very "open").
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

OK, looking at TRS's site and checking the URL of the image you posted, those are not TSX-R, they are Lexus RX-AFS with a TSX-R lens.

However, they do look similar to TSX projectors:

(That retrofitted on 2001FireBird's car, but not sealed.)

Here are a couple threads where people installed TSX projectors in a 1998-2002 Firebird:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...beginning.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-firebird.html

If the RX projector has similar dimensions, then those threads may be helpful.

The links are also posted in the Lighting FAQ.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-13-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

bad ***. subscribed
Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I was wondering how you were gonna get the Hella's apart. They are assembled pretty well. I'm gonna stick with these projectors. Can you really tell this 'uptick' on the road? Or is it only visible on a garage door?
They're easy to open up from what I've read. It can't be any harder than my OE Jeep headlights being baked in the over and torn apart. That was fun. The uptick on the cutoff isn't horrible against the wall, but really bugs me on the road. That's why I'm looking to work on the cutoff.

VIP: If I change to another projector I will be sealing it. Some silicone and I'll be good to go. That was the reason I went with the Hella's as they are fully sealed. Also another reason I didn't try to get the FX-R's in there, not to mention size issues. I really like the idea of the of either the TSX or the RX/TSX-R lens projector. I e-mailed my buddy at TRS to see what he suggest. We'll see how this goes!

I think I may modify the cutoff first, since I have them already. Then, if I'm not happy with the output, I may just sell them and get some better projectors. Oh, and for those reading this - these projectors are SO MUCH better than the factory output. This is nothing to do with that, I'm just very **** about how nice the light output and cutoff need to be
Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Just applying silicone to the RX projector may not be enough to seal it. Plus, you need a clear lens in front of the projector lens to project it. The RX lens was not intended to be exposed.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
Just applying silicone to the RX projector may not be enough to seal it. Plus, you need a clear lens in front of the projector lens to project it. The RX lens was not intended to be exposed.
I've spoken with several guys over on HID Planet and they've confirmed the silicone should be fine to seal it up, with a boot on the back. If I run the TSX, LX, or another normally concealed projector I would be running a vacuum form plastic cover as well
Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The RX is a normally concealed projector.

Quick Reply: My LS1 Trans Am Projector & HID Conversion Thread