Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting help

Ok, so I'm going to be putting a decal on my front air dam. The thing is a little bit scraped up but not too bad. I don't really think the decal would stick well to this. Could I sand it down really smooth, paint it black, apply decal, then clear coat it? If so what grit paper should I use since its like a plastic/rubber type material? and what kind of paint/clear coat should I use? Duplicolor? I want to know which clear coat too because I've already tried to clear coat something and it wrinkled. I don't want to clear coat it and have the decal wrinkle on me considering its a custom made decal. btw the decal says "Intimidator" in the same font Dale Earnhardt Sr. used on some of his merchandise.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

if it's a good quality vinyl it should be fine to clear over it.
as far as paint, if it's plastic you should use a plastic promoter on it.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Do you mean like a plastic primer? Thats what i plan on doing. Im just not sure whether to use like rustoleum primer/paint/clear or duplicolor. cuz i painted some stuff in the engine bay with rustoleum paint then cleared it with rustoleum clear and it wrinkled. So im just wondering if duplicolor is better quality. And I would like some tips on painting/clearing, im still kind of a beginner at it
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

plastic promoter is for bare plastic to help bond the material to plastic and i would sand everything down ending with 380 grit going up in 100 ex 80 to 180 to 280 to 380. and then lay the primer surfacer down let dry then wet sand with 400 grit then wash with soap and water then wax and greese remover then lay the base coat then flash it put the sticker on then clear coat and if you dont need to sand anything or repair just scuff the bumper with a gray scuff pad and wash it and then put wax and greese remover down and put the sticker down and lay the clear coat and the wrenckles is from greese on it use wax and greese remover befor painting anything and that wont happen
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Teching In

that was a great explanation tt383lt1

You might want to put more coats of clear to get a completely smooth finish since your using a decal though. It depends on the quality finish you want though. Its not needed but depending on the thickness of the vinyl material your using you might be able to feel the outline of the decal after its cleared. Good luck though, post some pics of it when its done!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the explanation! I'll get some pics up when I'm done. It'll be awhile considering its a lil cold here in Indiana so the paint will dry slower.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

oh and use a white tac cloth befor you lay you base coat (color) and a blue tac cloth between all base coats and right befor the first clear coat it helps with not getting dust nibs in the paint. dont have to but it helps alot.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i did was smooth mine out, black krylon for plastic and then applied the vinyl and it still looks good with it being 4 years old
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Here it is!

Quick Reply: Painting help